Titanic General Interest Books

FAndrew

May 20, 2019
United Kingdom UK England
Hello everyone,so during my Titanic research time (read my profile about) i came across The Wreck of The Titan and some other prints of so called ,,books,,
Im interested if you guys know some that cover not the incident but the before and after.Im interested mostly in White Star Line relationship with Harland and Wolff.
Also i might visit the Ulster Folk Museum later this year,and file an archive viewing request.What dates or archives do you recommend?Im interested about old ones so they wont be modiffied.
Thanks in advance and im waiting for your opinion!

-^F.Andrew^

EDIT:
If you know your way around archives,a reference number is welcomed

Nov 14, 2005
I'm not sure exacley what your asking but as far "The Wreck of the Titan" originally called "Futility" was tweaked after Titanic sank to make it more in line with the actual disaster. I've read that but am not positive about that as I haven't read either version. Good luck on your research.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Hello everyone,so during my Titanic research time (read my profile about) i came across The Wreck of The Titan and some other prints of so called ,,books,,
Im interested if you guys know some that cover not the incident but the before and after.Im interested mostly in White Star Line relationship with Harland and Wolff.
Also i might visit the Ulster Folk Museum later this year,and file an archive viewing request.What dates or archives do you recommend?Im interested about old ones so they wont be modiffied.
Thanks in advance and im waiting for your opinion!

-^F.Andrew^

EDIT:
If you know your way around archives,a reference number is welcomed
You'd probably find "The Ship Magnificent" by Bruce Beveridge and Scott Andrews to be just what you are looking for.

This two volume exhaustive study of Titanic's construction and fitting out is a jaw dropping piece of dedicated research. It does cost a fair few quid, currently I'm saving up to buy my own copy, in the meantime I go to a library to access it.

They have a website that gives you preview of the two books that make up "The Ship Magnificent" - TITANIC The Ship Magnificent

There are also some amazing research sites online regarding RMS Titanic, her sisters and other White Star ships that deal with the things you are interested in. Here are a few that I've found greatly enlightening. (you'll find a few of these chaps are still active posters on this forum !)

Dr Paul Lee - http://www.paullee.com/titanic/index.php
Bill Wormstedt - Bill Wormstedt's Titanic
Mark Chirnside - Mark Chirnside's Reception Room: Olympic, Titanic & Britannic: Welcome
Dave Gittins - Titanic Navigation and South Australian Cruising
Samuel Halpern - Titanicology
the late Roy Mengot - The Wreck of RMS Titanic
Bob Read - TITANIC CAD Plans
Parks Stephenson - Marconigraph.com

Do avoid the two most prominent Titanic "pseudo-historians" - namely the late Robin Gardiner the now disgraced Charles Pellegrino. The recent much publicised work by Senan Molony alleging a conspiracy to cover up "catastrophic" damage done by the coal bunker fire - is also pure bilge.

I hope that was helpful ? Sorry if it wasn't what you were looking for !

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Aye, he did spoil that otherwise wonderful film.

If you look up his wikipedia page it lists every stage of his dramatic (and slightly bizarre) decline and fall from the world of academia since 2003.

FAndrew

May 20, 2019
United Kingdom UK England
You'd probably find "The Ship Magnificent" by Bruce Beveridge and Scott Andrews to be just what you are looking for.

This two volume exhaustive study of Titanic's construction and fitting out is a jaw dropping piece of dedicated research. It does cost a fair few quid, currently I'm saving up to buy my own copy, in the meantime I go to a library to access it.

They have a website that gives you preview of the two books that make up "The Ship Magnificent" - TITANIC The Ship Magnificent

There are also some amazing research sites online regarding RMS Titanic, her sisters and other White Star ships that deal with the things you are interested in. Here are a few that I've found greatly enlightening. (you'll find a few of these chaps are still active posters on this forum !)

Dr Paul Lee - http://www.paullee.com/titanic/index.php
Bill Wormstedt - Bill Wormstedt's Titanic
Mark Chirnside - Mark Chirnside's Reception Room: Olympic, Titanic & Britannic: Welcome
Dave Gittins - Titanic Navigation and South Australian Cruising
Samuel Halpern - Titanicology
the late Roy Mengot - The Wreck of RMS Titanic
Bob Read - TITANIC CAD Plans
Parks Stephenson - Marconigraph.com

Do avoid the two most prominent Titanic "pseudo-historians" - namely the late Robin Gardiner the now disgraced Charles Pellegrino. The recent much publicised work by Senan Molony alleging a conspiracy to cover up "catastrophic" damage done by the coal bunker fire - is also pure bilge.

I hope that was helpful ? Sorry if it wasn't what you were looking for !

Hi there,thanks for the reply.Ill search the book as you said and ill see if i can get in touch with some of the people you mentioned.May i ask you,do you know where i could find some archives from H.W or W.S.L ? Dates between 1850s-1950s when L.Pirrie was the chairman.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi there,thanks for the reply.Ill search the book as you said and ill see if i can get in touch with some of the people you mentioned.May i ask you,do you know where i could find some archives from H.W or W.S.L ? Dates between 1850s-1950s when L.Pirrie was the chairman.
I hope it was of some help.

Trust me, "The Ship Magnificent" will take your breath away. It's the closest thing we have to a time machine back to Harland & Wolff in 1911/1912.

As to the archives, I don't know anything about them but there are some very friendly and extremely knowledgeable people on this forum who may well know the archives inside out and can help you. Stick around. ;)

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Many things are in the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum. They have been pretty well picked over by local researchers and you are not likely to find anything wonderful. You might like to start with two books, if you can get hold of them. They are The Ismay Line, by Wilton Oldham and Shipbuilders to the World, by John Hume and Michael Moss. Another good one is Belfast's Own, by Stephen Cameron. A real obscure one is Viscount Pirrie of Belfast, by Herbert Jefferson.

Reactions: Seumas

bitcohen

Sep 5, 2019
NJ - New Jersey
Titanic: The Ship Magnificent as mentioned earlier, though I've only read the first volume. It's all about the design and construction which really interested me, as opposed to the interiors and decor which is covered in Volume 2.
I can really highly recommend 101 Facts You Thought You Knew About Titanic, But Didn't, by Tim Maltin. It's one of the few well-researched and well-sourced books on the subject I've been able to find, with excerpts from the official inquiries and reports backing up all the points. Great stuff and not as technical as T:TSM so a good one to start with. It's also cheap and is on Google Books!

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Last month I read Michael Davie's "Titanic: Death and Live of a Legend" which was a marvellous read. I'd recommend that for anyone interested.

Richard Davenport-Hines "Titanic Lives" wasn't bad either. There are a few annoying minor errors but's a fair read nonetheless. Rather than telling the story of the ship, it looks more at the background of the passengers, the crew and the social and economic backgrounds they came from.