Titanic graves in Los Angeles

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Colleen Collier, Mike Herbold, and I spent a great day yesterday doing a Titanic grave tour in Los Angeles. There are more out here, but these are the only ones we saw.

Sorry you couldn't be here, Randy.

And Phil G. and Brian M., you were definitely a topic of conversation! :)

Eric Sauder

Johan Svenson (John Johnson)

42494.jpg

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
And last, but to me, certainly not least, Gladys Bilicke, Lusitania first-class passenger. She survived, but her husband was lost. His body was not recovered. She is buried in the same cemetery as Edward Calderhead.

Although a single word, this is one of the most moving inscriptions I ever seen on any headstone.

Eric Sauder

42521.jpg

Apr 11, 2001
Thanks for posting those- did you all leave the lovely rubrum lily above? Also, was the stained glass above the Miller plaque a Christ resurection with the 3 women at the tomb? I agree, about the one word inscription- it put me in mind of Princess Diana's funeral procession with the little card on top of the casket from Prince Harry with just "Mummy" on it- less is often more.

May 8, 2001
Shelly. The Lily was Eric's doing. It smelled so wonderful, and was a beautiful choice. One that a "mama" would have loved.
I have pictures including that of the stained glass window in the Clark mausoleum pending in Phil Hind's email box. (Too big to post.) (Will send you a copy though.)
This was a fullfilling day for me to be able to finally pay respects to these people. I am honored that I was asked to participate. I learned oodles, and look forward to seeing more.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Absolutely lovely shots there, Eric - I get the feeling it was far more than just another 'field expedition'. And what a great crew. Thanks for posting the photos!

Brian Meister

Mar 1, 2001
Colleen, Eric and Mike,

Thanks giving us a look at some of the
West Coast gravesites. I managed to visit
quite a few on my travels West, but couldn't
get to them all.
I thought my ears were burning that day,
so I am glad to know it was you three doing
the talking!
happy.gif

Gravestone hunting is one of my favorite
past and present-times. Wish I could have
been there.

Good to see Mike and Colleen in technocolor
and Eric, we will have to talk some more about
St Louis!

Best Regards,

Brian

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hey Eric,

Wondeful photos! Was particularly interested to see the final resting places of George Brereton and Edward Calderhead. Glad you all had a great time, and I look forward to seeing Mike and Colleen's collections!

All the best,
Ben

May 8, 2001
Brian, let me be the first to say tht you were missed on this expedition. Your additional knowledge could have really been used, and numerous occasions when we were stumped and had to look in the books Mike brought along, we groaned, and agreed, "I bet Brian knows this off the top of his head!"
Your burning ears were from the call of West Coast frustration.... (and the fact that Mike made us walk all over the place.)
wink.gif

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
It was a great day, but Colleen is holding back on the real highlight of the tour. The proof that there really was a .....
Nah, let me have Colleen tell the story about one of "Titanic" Johnson's close neighbors in Rose Hills Cemetery.
Just this little tease -- People often ask if the characters in Cameron's movie are real.
There, I've said too much already.
And thanks, Eric, for not divulging about the left-handed camera.

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Hi, Shelley:

I leave a lily on Mrs. Bilicke’s grave whenever I’m there. I usually visit twice a year. Once on her birthday and once on the anniversary of the sinking. I also have a decent picture of the stained glass above Walter Clark’s plaque and will post it tonight when I get home.

Inger, I’m really sorry you couldn’t have been there (along with Brian M., Phil G., and a few other people). Maybe the next time you’re in LA, we can do “the tour.”

Ben, the Calderhead and Brereton finds were thanks to Mike H (with a little help from Phil G.)!

Eric

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Ah, yes, the left-handed camera. I'll hold that one in reserve for when I need something to blackmail you with....

Eric

May 8, 2001
Scared to say this Mike, but it dawned on me that she may be more than just a close neighbor to Titanic Johnson! Been on line (unsuccessfully) trying to find out for sure, but look at the picture again. What is her Middle name? Uh huh...
If Eric can shrink the picture down, he is welcome to post it.