Titanic graves in Los Angeles

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Hi, Shelley:

Here's the picture of the stained glass window as promised....

Eric

42525.jpg

May 12, 2005
Am just taking all this in. So glad to see these photos. I was supposed to be there with these great people and the pics make me feel that I was there afterall. Eric, Colleen and Mike, you have no idea how sorry I am that I missed meeting you but I will be out there in June "come hell or high water," as we say.

What an interesting excursion. Am much taken by the stained glass - and the touch of the lily. Thanks Colleen for your nice email which I have just read and for sharing your day here. Thanks too to Mike and Eric for remembering me. I can't wait for a reprise of this trip when I finally make it out there.

PS) I had not known till now that Daisy Minahan died so young. How sad. But what pretty flowers our friends have given her.

Reactions: 1 user
May 8, 2001
My first attempt at grave stone hunting.. Here is how the day started. This was THE first stone I come across, as we were attempting to find Titanic Johnson. She was about 2 rows up, and 3 or 4 stones over from them.(Thanks Eric!)
42528.jpg

ENJOY!
wink.gif

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Colleen--that makes two. Crewman William Major's daughter, Rose Major, also married a Mr. Dawson.

So far no Dewitt-Bukaters showing up anywhere though :).

Phil

Apr 11, 2001
Thanks for the stained glass photo- it is very appropriate-the texts found in several books in the New Testament telling of the 3 Marys arriving Easter morn at the tomb, and the angel saying "Why do you seek Him here?- He is risen." A wonderful thought to the Clark family.

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
"So far no Dewitt-Bukaters showing up anywhere though."

Phil, I guess Colleen didn't tell you who she found on the *other* side of John Johnson. Oh, wait, maybe I wasn't supposed to say anything....

Eric

May 8, 2001
Shelley. I understand now the significance of the window and why it is an apropriate choice. Since Walter Clark's body was never recovered, I would imagine that this verse may have been a source of comfort to the family in their time of grief.

Nov 22, 2000
Colleen "The Lily smelled so wonderful - Eric always carries one" I'm sure there just has to be a connection there. Last time I saw Eric, he suggested I should carry one too to disguise the smell! Seriously, glad you all had a good time & only sorry that I was unable to join you. As some of you know, I'm like a pig after truffles when it comes to a good cemetery hunt!

Fondest regards to all "Grandad" Whitfield.

Brian Meister

Mar 1, 2001
Colleen,

Thanks once again for the complimentary
thoughts. I would like to congratulate
publicly our own Mr Whitfield on his recent
elevation to grandparenthood. He is already
a terrific friend and brother and it is not
hard to imagine what a wonderful grandpa
he already is. That is, with Alma's guidance!
happy.gif

Congratulations!

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Really been enjoying the photos, Eric! Puts me in mind of a similar cemetery hunt last April.

And imagine Geoff, being a grandfather and turning a hundred all in the same year!

Congratulations all the way 'round!

Cook

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
I went to Disneyland the other day, and while in Anaheim, I stopped in to photograph Lillian Minahan's marker. Because I posted the other photos, I thought I should add this one.

Eric Sauder

43557.jpg

Jan 29, 2001
Colleen:

BTW, my Grandfolks are buried in Los Angeles at the Rose Hills cemetary. Roy and Eleanor Baetz.
Are there any TITANIC related folks resting eternal there as well?

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

May 8, 2001
Mike. Yes! one that I know of. That was the first stop we made.

If it makes you feel any better... The infamous Rose Dawson is buried there too.
wink.gif

My "Barnes" related ancestor's are buried at one of the locations we visited as well. Two are within eyesite of the Titanic survivor.
I can see how this could become an addictive past time!

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Michael:
Colleen got so excited about finding Rose's grave that she forgot the real reason we went to Rose Hills Cemetery -- to visit the gravesite of "Titanic" Johnson, originally named Johan Corvin Svensson. As you know Rose Hills is a huge cemetery. To get to Johnson's site, you go through Gate 17.

His is the only gravemarker that we visited this trip that mentions the Titanic. On our next excurion one of the graves we'll see is that of Edwina Troutt (McKenzie), and hers also references Titanic.

Jan 29, 2001
Mike H:

No kidding huh Mike? Rose Hills is a huge cemetary. I was there in '81 with my Mother and older Sister Virginia, to bury my Grandmother. (We had the *rose* colored limo and all)

I remember an employee of Rose Hill's telling me something to the effect..."We have enough room to bury the deceased till 2010!

Unfortunately after that '81 trip to Rose Hills, we would come home to bury my big Sister Virginia, who ws killed shortly thereafter.

Indeed the iceman cometh in threes that year...
the General Contractor I was employed with at that time was killed by a drunk driver as well...shortly following Virgina's death...

...a tough period in my life.

Michael A. Cundiff
USA