Titanic Historical Society

M

Michail Michailakis

I received my first "Titanic Commutator" today,only some days after completing the order form in the THS website.I had already seen some older issues but I was still impressed by the quality of this publication.I am also very pleased to see the increasing presence of information about the Britannic.

Michail,

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi Michail,

Enjoy your first Titanic Commutator!

Best regards,

Jason
Happy

S

Susan Romanyuk

Has anyone noticed that THS has not had a THS convention West of the Rockies since 1997 on the Queen Mary in Long Beach? Also now they have their Gala Weekends in the Fall instead of April around the date of the sinking. I have asked THS about this and I do not get an answer. Does anyone here have any ideas of whats going on? I attended the THS 97 convention on the QM on Long Beach and the place was packed and the attendance was high. I would love to see another one aboard the QM.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

Just speculation on my part, but THS may well do this for the convenience of members who may wish o attend the functions held elsewhere in April by other societies. Holding everything on the East coast may have something to do with the demographics of the membership too. If most live east of the Rockies, it would make some sense to hold gatherings closer to home.

But as I said, this is purely speculation on my part.

John Clifford

John Clifford

After 1997, they did have a good-sized crowd at the Denver Convention, in 1999. However, it seemed to indicate that the number of people attending the Conventions was beginning to drop. The number of people in Denver was slightly lower than those at the Springfield Convention (which was right after Cameron's film came out).

Then, after a small showing at the 2001 Convention in Halifax, a planned Convention-style tour, in Ireland, in 2002, did not attract the number of people anticipated (costs were cited for why some people chose not to attend).

I thought the first October Convention, in 2003, was, in part, a way to accomodate the fact that some THS people would be on the Queen Mary 2's April 2004 crossing. Then the OCtober 2004 event would have been a good forum to discuss the voyage, especially as "The Astors" were both on the ship.

It is possible that the October rates, for hotels in and around Springfield are lower than those for April. Plus one of the THS members is a Springfield historian, so he apparently has "the connections".

One of the travel agents hired by THS is no longer with them, and another apparently left, as well. It does not look as though they have another person available, to assist in planning for venues at locations other than in Massachusetts.

We will see, though, if this becomes a regular event. The 2003 gathering was the THS's 40th Anniversary celebration, 2004 noted QM2 (John Maxtone Graham was one of the scheduled speakers), and this year is the 20th Anniversary of the Titanic's discovery.

Shelley Dziedzic

Shelley Dziedzic

That's pretty much the size of it, Mike. TIS has had conventions at various times over the year, sometimes more than one large gathering a year, and seldom in the same city. Most of our members are on the East Coast with PA, NY and NJ being the core with the midwest coming in second so many of the conventions have reflected that zone. The two Canadian conventions were well-attended, and this year's meeting will go back to D.C. -New York and D.C. have so much to offer for Titanic people that this venue can be repeated every four or five years. BTS has been in April, and most Titanic folks want to do something in April as the anniversary rolls around. Vacations, weather, and travel expenses are also factored into the equation, and trying to keep the cost down so as many as can come can afford it- especially families with children.