Titanic Honor and Glory

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I had the opportunity to try some of it out at the Titanic Conference which was hosted by Bill Willard at Pigeon Forge on the 17th to 19th of August and for my own money, I think it'll become a very important research tool.

Yes....what they had completed of it was just that vivid. When I put on that set of VR goggles, I was THERE, I was ON the Titanic, in a 1st Class cabin. I was wandering around A Deck, the Smoke Room, the Reading Room, The A La Carte Restaurant....the Café Persian, I was IN the 1st Class Dining Room and IN the 3rd Class Dining Room. I went down Scotland Road and I was IN Boiler Room Six.

I was no longer looking over dry as bones plans. I was ON BOARD the ship herself and it changed my understanding of her completely. Several of us tried it out, including Shelley Binder who is a descendant of Leah Acks and for her it was a very emotional experience as she could see where her ancestress walked to save herself and her child.

Reactions: 3 users

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I always wondered how they plan to pull that. Means not just you but the criminals you are chasing are not real people either. Unless they pull a twist and make some real life passenger a criminal which would go against their telling the story aspect.
I think it will be just like Titanic: Adventure Out Of Time where there will be a dozen fictional people who will dine, sit and interact with the real life passengers expect this time we actually see them instead of just constant mentions of them.

Fortunately with Titanic being only 2/3 full, there are definitely enough empty cabins to add in a few fictional passengers amongst the real life ones.

Also I might not be the only one, but has anyone notice the reserved cabins on the Return List?

Cabins C-2 and C-82 have been reversed for the Return Voyage April 20th. Granted these might be being kept for family members or investors but perhaps they have been booked by some important characters, Robert or even the Murderer themselves?

Rusty_S

Mar 28, 2012
I had the opportunity to try some of it out at the Titanic Conference which was hosted by Bill Willard at Pigeon Forge on the 17th to 19th of August and for my own money, I think it'll become a very important research tool.

Yes....what they had completed of it was just that vivid. When I put on that set of VR goggles, I was THERE, I was ON the Titanic, in a 1st Class cabin. I was wandering around A Deck, the Smoke Room, the Reading Room, The A La Carte Restaurant....the Café Persian, I was IN the 1st Class Dining Room and IN the 3rd Class Dining Room. I went down Scotland Road and I was IN Boiler Room Six.

I was no longer looking over dry as bones plans. I was ON BOARD the ship herself and it changed my understanding of her completely. Several of us tried it out, including Shelley Binder who is a descendant of Leah Acks and for her it was a very emotional experience as she could see where her ancestress walked to save herself and her child.
Which is why I want to get VR but don't know which head set to get. Like wise I don't even know if I can use VR. My GTX 970 gpu should be enough as my pc says oculus ready on it. But my thing is my eyes don't focus that close up like they used to so I don't know how far the screen is away from your eyes in the head set. Don't want to spend $500+ on a headset only to find out I cant use it.

Rusty_S

Mar 28, 2012
I think it will be just like Titanic: Adventure Out Of Time where there will be a dozen fictional people who will dine, sit and interact with the real life passengers expect this time we actually see them instead of just constant mentions of them.

Fortunately with Titanic being only 2/3 full, there are definitely enough empty cabins to add in a few fictional passengers amongst the real life ones.

Also I might not be the only one, but has anyone notice the reserved cabins on the Return List?

Cabins C-2 and C-82 have been reversed for the Return Voyage April 20th. Granted these might be being kept for family members or investors but perhaps they have been booked by some important characters, Robert or even the Murderer themselves?
I don't know if I would put much faith in that. Sure it would make sense for him to return back to England to clear his name after he gets the evidence but it just doesn't seem like something they will do. Cause after all it doesn't matter who is reserved in what cabin on the return voyage, that is the return voyage not the current voyage.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I don't know if I would put much faith in that. Sure it would make sense for him to return back to England to clear his name after he gets the evidence but it just doesn't seem like something they will do. Cause after all it doesn't matter who is reserved in what cabin on the return voyage, that is the return voyage not the current voyage.
True, but consider that since no one expected Titanic to sink on her maiden voyage, perhaps the murderer is using the maiden voyage as a detour (to lie low for 2 weeks while they assume Robert Morgan is arrested unaware he's got aboard in disguise as a crew member) and then return to continue their hideous crimes OR another unknown side character is going to New York to pick up something or someone and also wishes to return promptly.

We know there used to be card gamblers or scammer who would spend their time travelling back and forth across the Atlantic stealing money from passengers so it's not too far out the realm of possibility.

Maybe a game quest will be to sneak into the pursers office and check the Return Voyage List which would be a cool easter egg* and be a surprise revelation as to the Murderer or someone.

You never know... ;)

*Adventure Out of Time did the same thing with Daisy Cashmore.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018
Georgia, USA
Which is why I want to get VR but don't know which head set to get. Like wise I don't even know if I can use VR. My GTX 970 gpu should be enough as my pc says oculus ready on it. But my thing is my eyes don't focus that close up like they used to so I don't know how far the screen is away from your eyes in the head set. Don't want to spend $500+ on a headset only to find out I cant use it.
I have problems with nearsightedness and require glasses unless reading. When using VR I have to put contacts in or else I can't see anything. If you have farsightedness the game in VR should present itself just like the real world does. If you have problems with discerning details with things closer than lets say 6 inches in the real world, in VR it would be the same. Everything further than 6 inches would be crystal clear (so to speak) but objects that were closer would be harder to see.

The screens are only about an inch from your eyes, if not closer. That sounds like a problem but its really not, its really like wearing a pair of glasses to be honest. After an hour or more you might start to get eyestrain but otherwise its no different than walking outside with some glasses on. Your eyes automatically adjust and treat the VR headset as if its the real world if that makes sense.

If you have a GTX 970 GPU you should be fine, I played in VR for nearly an entire year with a 970 and while I did on very rare occasions get lag, they were few and far between. It also depends on the CPU you use. I believe my 970 machine had an Intel i5 6500 inside it with 16gb of Ram.

As for which headset to buy its really up to you. I have an Oculus Rift.

HTC Vive - $500 USD
  • Full Roomscale tracking
  • 2 controllers & 2 tracking sensors
  • Screen has no godrays (rays of light on bright objects on black backgrounds)
  • Screen slightly blurry
  • integrated with SteamVR
Oculus Rift -$400 USD
  • Simulated roomscale tracking
  • 2 controllers & 2 tracking sensors
  • Screen has godrays, very minor for me
  • Screen is more sharp than Vive, allows me to read text that is unreadable in vive
  • requires a workaround to get integration with SteamVR
  • requires installation of "Oculus Home" which is its own version of SteamVR.

Rusty_S

Mar 28, 2012
Thanks for the reply. For me I use glasses to focus viewing at a distance. I can see at distance its just fuzzy and I cant make out small details. But I can tell that is a stop sign, that is a tree, that is a house, etc. But now reading the letters STOP I can see the white letters at a distance but they are blurred together. So for me I don't need glasses for close, but like right now my eyes are about 2 feet from the monitor I can see without my glasses and read but the text is slightly starting to get blurry but then again I have a big monitor that has a native resolution of 1080p.

For my pc its a G11 Asus I picked up two black Fridays ago this up coming black Friday. Its a GTX970 gpu with 4 GB of ram and processor is a i5-6400. The GPU I might upgrade later on though, I did just install earlier this month a 2 TB Fireshark I believe it was hard drive in my pc to move all my steam games from the partitioned hard drive.

For the VR, I was looking at the Vive as it seems like all the lets play youtubers use the vive. But part of me wants to go with the Oculus since my pc does state Oculus ready. But it might be better for me to go with the Vive considering I have steam and I have Subnautica and Titanic VR as my only two VR games at this moment.

I also will have to figure out hooking the VR up cause right now I got my monitor plugged directly via a hdmi cable into my GPU. I know with VR the VR headset should be plugged directly into the GPU.

Mar 9, 2018
Georgia, USA
I would look into getting some more ram, at least up to 8gb preferrably 16gb. With VR running no matter what device you go with its extremly demanding on the computer. Think of it as each eye is playing 1 instance of the game. So your computer needs to be able to handle running essentially 1 game 2 times with no latency. Its not quite as demanding as running it twice at the same time but its close and a good analogy to use. Your processor should be okay as will the GPU because again I've personally used that model GPU before in VR for about 9 months before I upgraded my workstation with dual 1080's.

But other than upgrading RAM you should be set to get VR up and running smoothly on your computer. I recommend the Honor & Glory demo 3 to try out if and when you do pull the trigger with the vive or oculus. Walking around the ship simply left me speechless. Probably spent about 6 hours just looking over everything.

Reactions: 1 user

Rusty_S

Mar 28, 2012
That 4GB of ram is just the GPU, the cpu has 8GB of ram itself so all in all a total of 12 GB between GPU and PC ram.

I got Demo 2 and 3 saved but didn't save the VR version of Demo 3 though. I will be getting the VR later on I think after I make my move that way I can see what kind of room I will have to set everything up.

Roxas84

Dec 29, 2017
I'll probably buy VR headset when the final version of the tour mode will be out and completely optimized, prices will probably drop until then, looking forward to it. I have a gtx 1070 and I play in 1080p, it should more than enough to run it because I wont change to the new RTX graphic cards yet, that's way too expensive.

About the lack of informations about investors means just one thing : they are still searching for one even if Tom keeps making promises, they are even making an exclusive demo to still trying to seduce them. That's must be hard to convince them with only environnement and some characters modeling after 7 years of work even if it's great.
When other bigger indie projects get some investors , they show them environment, gameplay, characters, how they are gonna do it precisely and they have already experience in the industry. and even with that that's sometimes hard to convice them.

And if in 2019 there is still nothing about investors I guess the team should stop searching and focus only on the tour mode, it has an huge potential to become an great reference for history and education instead of being stubborn of making a game they can't do without tons of money and they have already some trouble to find some with the recreation of the ship and instead of making a full 3d real time renderer of the sinking in the game engine they should make an updated version of the real time sinking animation

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
Unfortunately, Tom has repeatedly said that unless he gets to create his game (which, er, no one cares about) nothing will be released. It's pretty foolish if you ask me.

I think the other big problem here is that the thing you need to actually sell this (the game) is clearly being tacked on and the target audience only sees this as a historical resource, which DOESN'T sell. So they're not only struggling with their own lack of knowledge about producing and making a triple-A game but actually having a market to push for.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Moderator's hat on:

Folks, please drop the discussion of business strategies. It has no place here.

Moderator's hat off.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
That documentary got taken down on YouTube :( Not that it was that great, but there was some exclusive footage in there!

Kas01

May 24, 2018
To be fair, I don't think Matt and Tom want to be associated with a documentary that says that Titanic left port on the 5th and went back to Southampton.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Fortunately for you Kyle, Russian Titanic Fans have also uploaded it:

Also in Matt and Tom's defence, their parts of the documentary are solid and great. It's the parts stuck in by the producers (eg. the other graphics and non fact-checked narration) that weaken the documentary (no pun intended).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Kas01

May 24, 2018
I love that shot of Smith and Andrews standing in ankle-deep water for some reason. It's so abysmal that it's great.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Fortunately for you Kyle, Russian Titanic Fans have also uploaded it:

Also in Matt and Tom's defence, their parts of the documentary are solid and great. It's the parts stuck in by the producers (eg. the other graphics and non fact-checked narration) that weaken the documentary (no pun intended).
Just in response to my own post, I just realised the show is part of a series that explores other disasters and (weirdly) people's autopsies. This is why parts of the show are so inaccurate. The show wasn't made specially for T:H&G or Titanic, it was just a general documentary featuring them as historians just like Marschall and Lynch.

Edit: Hold on a minute! At 16:04, you see the newspapers have "Titanic" highlighted red on them! The people making this show literally just went onto the Chronicling America newspaper website and took the pages from there after searching "Titanic". They didn't even bother to remove the tag when screen-shoting them. :eek:

Last edited:
A

Aaron_2016

Makes you think twice about all the other documentaries and how much fact-checking actually went into them. Usually the eye candy is what drives the market and the accuracy is often expendable.

Reactions: 3 users