Newman123

Feb 15, 2020
I
Yes, he did mention that he wasn’t happy about how the boat is pushed off of the roof and how the stern sinks. I do have to agree on the audio. Hearing the ship groan and rumble is really haunting.
n some parts it actually sounds like a roar or a scream.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I think it would be a good idea for Titanic Animations to collaborate or at least help with the Honor and Glory Team.

If I'm not mistaken, they definetly hame some sort of a relationship. He was a chat moterator for them during their 108 anniversary stream.

I don't doubt that the final product will be as accurate as humanly possible, as they have people like Bill Sauder and Parks Stephenson on their team (and a small possibility of James Cameron in the future by the sounds of it).

Daniel_AT

Apr 16, 2020
When you search for Britannic: Patroness of the Mediterrian on Google you already can find the Gamepage on the Titanic:HG Homepage :)

B

Bob_Read

Who ever came up with the name “Patroness of the Mediterranean” for HMHS Britannic?

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Not that this needs to be stated out loud but Bravo to Titanic: Honor and Glory (and everyone else involved to this major side project)! :)

While some people on Facebook and Youtube are being rather ungrateful for getting literally an additional game / historical recreation to explore (along with another one sometime in the future by a certain someone from here ;) ). It's clear a lot of hard work and detail has gone into making this incredible and accurate.

Also Mac users can also experience it now. Hurrah!

Reactions: 1 users

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
The sound design I think is amazing- especially leading up to and during the break.
I thought the screaming was a bit much, and a bit too constant. I started trying to pick out loops and repeat sounds.

I would have expected screams to punctuate the major events during the sinking: the collapsing funnels, the split, major creaks and whatnot from inside the ship.

It should increase as people enter the water and decrease as they stop crying out.

I felt that the sounds of the ship itself were far more eerie and mood-setting.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I thought the screaming was a bit much, and a bit too constant. I started trying to pick out loops and repeat sounds.

I would have expected screams to punctuate the major events during the sinking: the collapsing funnels, the split, major creaks and whatnot from inside the ship.

It should increase as people enter the water and decrease as they stop crying out.

I felt that the sounds of the ship itself were far more eerie and mood-setting.

The screams are from a non-copyrighted (I’m assuming) sound effect library. The exact track is right here:

I’m fairly certain that they aren’t going to use this for the final game- it’s just convenient to use for their YouTube videos. It’s probably gonna be MUCH more polished in the end.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Update: Just discovered that Robin (the poor surveyor from Demo 3) will be joining the Britannic too in some form.

I'm not too sure if this will be canonical with Demo 3's Robin (or how he might appear in the game) but great to see him here too!

Reactions: 1 user

Nikki Farmer

Apr 14, 2019
Maine, USA

Opened up a separate forum thread for Britannic: Potm :)

JTDillon

Apr 3, 2020
Hello everyone, I hope youre all doing well :)

I was unsure of where to post this, so if you have a suggestion of a better place to post it please let me know and Ill gladly move it.
Anyway, im sure a few keen observers have already figured out that this post will be about the "Honor and Glory" video game... from now on I will refer to it as HG.

I was one of the people who donated......twice....years ago. So, at this point in time I am extremely unhappy with the way the development is going. I will try really hard to not talk bad for the sake of talking bad but disclaimer: I am bitter, and it might show. Forgive me :(

I have been trying to find out some simple info but cant get any answers. I want to know how the sinking will work. Does anyone here hapen to know anything about this? Maybe someone saw something somewhere or heard something? Are they going to somehow replicate/animate realistic water physics, or will it be a static body of water and the model of the ship is just lowered into it and the water clips through walls.
A lot of people watched the "Titanic sinks in real time" on youtube posted by HG and thought it was their sinking gameplay footage but I managed to find out that it is not. It was actually just pre made animations. All the shots of the inside of the ship flooding wasnt the game, it was just something they previously animated. they did use their models, but the sinking is not their games engine. The reason I am pointing this out is because I didnt want someone to reference those videos.

This is the reason I am so bitter...the original idea was to walk around the entire ship and see it......bbuuuuuttt ESPECIALLY as it sinks! Thats what got everyone going.....but nearly a decade later and they havent even finished modelling the ship, which is one of the "easier" parts of making a video game if I understand correctly.. I of course know they dont have pictures to go off of for some areas etc, but still, improvise. Youve had ten years. So I have been wanting to know what their plans are for the damned sinking part of the game for YEARS but they keep conveniently avoiding this topic it seems. Instead they bring up new plans to include hundreds of fully voiced NPCs, missions, a story....they even took a little nice vacation to Southampton to tour the city, look at old blue prints of the city in 1912, and they recreated a few blocks of Southhampton from 1912 for the game.... Im just sitting here screaming "Why not just finish the damned boat first?! ". NOBODY donated because they were dying to explore Southampton in 1912, come on. Is it just me, or is that a ridiculous waste of time and resources? Resources they always make sure to remind us they dont have BTW

I tried keeping up to date with their developer updates but they infuriated me....these guys could be professional politicians I swear. They manage to say so much without actually saying anything at all, I actually coined a phrase for them... I call their progress blogs "Empty Calorie Content", you know, like junk food. You get full, but you got no real nutrition and youre hungry in 40 minutes.. Month after month for years we just got "A lot to do. Had set backs. Teams working hard. Were looking for more money"... theyre always out of money. Theyve held several fundraisers, raised over their target amount. Now theyre selling 3d printed models of Titanic and doing sponsorships of othr peoples products.. Maybe if they stopped taking all the little vacations (They have the gal to talk about them in their dev updates) theyd have some cash left.

Reactions: 1 users

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
I'll speak as a software developer here.

It's always difficult to know with a project like this where it's going. Sometimes games just struggle. Sometimes the actual business model is to continually solicit donations with bigger and bigger promises (*cough cough* Star Citizen) and to never actually deliver.

I will say, that HG has delivered a reasonable demo. I've tried the VR version myself and found it a little buggy and very poorly performing, but the visual quality was very good and worth the long loading times and laggy performance (at least to a Titanic fan).

I would guess that they learned programming while making it, and that it appears to be more of an art project than a programming project.

A project like this is huge. It takes a lot of time, especially if it's not a full time gig. A lot of people, even paid professionals, burn out after 5 or 10 years working on the same project. Their work on Southampton was probably to give them a chance to work on anything else.

The unfortunate part of donations is that there's no promise of delivery. It doesn't really matter if it's fraud or just poor performance. Fortunately HG seems to have honest intentions and they have at least delivered something (when other projects have delivered nothing).

I'm not sure what they've promised, but I wouldn't wait for them to do a physics-based sinking.

Nov 14, 2005
I'll speak as a software developer here.

It's always difficult to know with a project like this where it's going. Sometimes games just struggle. Sometimes the actual business model is to continually solicit donations with bigger and bigger promises (*cough cough* Star Citizen) and to never actually deliver.

I will say, that HG has delivered a reasonable demo. I've tried the VR version myself and found it a little buggy and very poorly performing, but the visual quality was very good and worth the long loading times and laggy performance (at least to a Titanic fan).

I would guess that they learned programming while making it, and that it appears to be more of an art project than a programming project.

A project like this is huge. It takes a lot of time, especially if it's not a full time gig. A lot of people, even paid professionals, burn out after 5 or 10 years working on the same project. Their work on Southampton was probably to give them a chance to work on anything else.

The unfortunate part of donations is that there's no promise of delivery. It doesn't really matter if it's fraud or just poor performance. Fortunately HG seems to have honest intentions and they have at least delivered something (when other projects have delivered nothing).

I'm not sure what they've promised, but I wouldn't wait for them to do a physics-based sinking.
How long does it typically take to make a video game? I'm not really a gamer but some of those war action games look pretty impressive as far as the graphics go and the way they play. Seems like they pop them out pretty fast as in there always seems to be new ones. Ok...back to my Duke Nukem 2D.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
How long it takes really depends on a lot of factors. A lot of the factors:
1. How many people are working on the game
2. If the developers are paid, or working in their free time
3. Skill of the developers
4. What the scope of the game is (number of features, amount of content, etc)
5. What elements they can use from ore-existing games (Most professional games heavily re-use parts of the previous game).

There are many many big-name studios and it has never been easier for hobbyists and amateurs to make games, so there are a lot of games being made these days.

The fastest games get made in about a month, those are usually very simple very ugly games. Larger games, like major titles for consoles are usually closer to 3-5 years. Longer than that is usually because of studio problems, or a hobby project for the developers. Those larger games often have one or two hundred people working on them.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
Ok. Thanks for the info. Was never involved with anything like that. I used CAD programs to design control systems for DCS and other systems but that was basically drag and drop and point connections. One step above ladder logic for PLC's. No rocket science there. Given enough banana's I could get a monkey to do that. The hard part was tuning after it was built. Although I don't play them I have been impressed by the people who are able to make them.
P.S...I do sometimes use MS Flight Simulator to do a little computer flying but I don't really consider that a game although I guess some could see it as one.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
In general, the difference between a game and a simulation is that the game has objectives which can be failed or succeeded. MS Flight Simulator basically used all the same technology that a game does.

It's mostly just a lot of 3D math and some clever computer logic.