Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
I was asked to join the project by Tom in May or June of last year, long story short: Tom got mad and withdrew the job offer.

Long story is:

A friend made a visually impressive thing that caught Tom's attention, and Tom sent out an email that (paraphrasing here) basically said, "We have thousands of subscribers and millions of views, come join us and you're stuff will be seen by more people."

The friend asked me to look at the email and give my thoughts on it, which essentially what I told him was, "He's being very vague in this email. Ask for some elaboration on things. What is it you're going to be doing? What will your work schedule be? You are allowed to ask him questions if you have questions." etc etc.

Tom took 2 weeks to respond to him, with an equally long response. An important thing to note is that before my friend sent me that 2nd email to look over (to give my thoughts on it), he said, "I think we both know who he's talking about in point #4"

I, vainly, assumed Tom was talking about me. Imagine my surprise when I read #4 and it said (again, paraphrasing), "Don't trust everyone online, they think they have all the information. They don't, only we do."

So yea, I wasn't exactly looking over the email with the unbiased of glasses for the remainder of my time. I still stand by what I wrote to my friend though, which ended with, "If I were you, I'd decline the offer."

A few weeks go by and Tom reaches out to me, with the same vague, "We have thousands of subscribers and millions of views, come join us"

I sent Tom a list of requirements that had to be met and written down in writing before I would join the project. Among these are:

I have to be able to continue making my own videos. My channel earns me revenue which allows me to pay my bills. I cannot shut down or private all my videos after I join your team. This would kill my revenue, force me to quit your team, and go work one (or more) minimum wage jobs to get back on my feet financially.

I require $10 an hour (extremely low pay for someone in the game industry, most game developers make at a minimum $50,000 a year)

I work on my own stuff (at the time) for 10 hrs a day, I can afford to devote no more than 2hrs a day to your project.

What would I be working on if I joined?

I own the rights to all the models I create while working for you

etc etc.

They all boiled down to protecting myself and looking out for myself. Which any sensible person can understand. Nobody in life looks out for you, you have to do that yourself.

Tom took 9 days to respond to the email in which all he wrote was: "I find your terms agreeable but I must rescind the offer as I do not wish to work with people who distort private conversations and accuse me of threats which I did not make."

I'd also like to point out that I accused him of no threats in the messages between my friend and I. His ego couldn't handle the fact that someone saw the way he was acting and had a negative opinion of him after they saw those things.
Hi! Great to see you here again

I'm not very surprised, remember the drama on Paul Lee's page and reddit?

By the way, we've talked before, I'm General Skywalker on Discord :)

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Oh! And they posted a new progress plan!
2018 Plan:
1606741289735.png

November 2020 Progress Plan:
1606741340828.png

key:

DARK GREY - NOT STARTED: ~20%
LIGHT GREY - BARELY STARTED OR BEING ENTIRELY REDONE ~10%
RED - PARTIALLY DONE ~22%
YELLOW - MOSTLY DONE ~15%
GREEN - DONE, BUT NOT YET OPTIMIZED ~8%
LIGHT BLUE - DONE BY MODELER GIO CASTRO BUT NOT OPTIMIZED ~5%
PINK - DONE IN ENGINE, BUT NOT YET OPTIMIZED OR IN NEED OF UPDATES ~10%
BLUE - DONE, OPTIMIZED, AND IN THE ENGINE (THOUGH STILL SUBJECT TO UPDATES OR FURTHER OPTIMIZATION AS REQUIRED) ~
10%

thoughts?

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Kyle Hudak, one of the developers (saying just incase someone didn't know) messaged this is the Titanic: Honor and Glory Discord Server, an thoroughly detailed explanation of the colors

"A slightly more detailed description of the progress plan stages is as follows:

LIGHT GREY - These areas are of two sorts: Either they've been started, but are progressed no further than some basic modeled walls and floor or other elements, or they were made to some degree (even finished) before, but due to new research or other issues, are now being redone, either totally or in part.

RED - Areas that are partially done. That means usually built in Sketchup. Maybe the main room structures are partially complete, texturing isn't done for the basic model stage, furniture is only just started, etc.

YELLOW - These places are mostly done. Room models are done or nearly done, furniture or fittings may be done to a high degree, textures too. But at this stage, things are still in Sketchup and optimization hasn't started yet.
.(edited)

GREEN - These areas are done on Matt or Gio's end in Sketchup, but are not ready to be place in the engine because they still need to be properly UV mapped, refined, textured, hi-polys made, lightmaps, etc.

LIGHT BLUE - These spots are modeled by Gio Castro in Sketchup, but far from done usually. Matt has to go over them and refine and optimize them further in Sketchup to bring them to the GREEN stage, then they will need to be taken from there and made game-ready.

PINK - These are effectively GREEN areas, but which have been quickly lightmapped, divided up, and placed in the engine for visualization purposes. They still need to be optimized, mapped, textured, etc. Many areas you've seen in "Megademo" material are of this type. Some PINK areas may also need to be updated to a large extent. For example, the Grand Staircases are effectively done and engine-ready, but I'd really like to go over them again and optimize how the texturing is done, which may be considerable reworking of most of the models. The way they're done now take up an IMMENSE amount of resources and doesn't look so good when the textures are reduced to even mid-level quality.

BLUE - These areas are more or less done through all stages and currently playable in the engine, though are still subject to minor updates and fixes if needed, but nothing game-delaying or redo-worthy.

Optimization as used here generally mainly involves making the models as low-poly as possible or is reasonable, UV mapping them, light-mapping them, baking textures for them, making hi-poly models for the baking process as needed, adjusting for accuracy and proportions, dividing or grouping as needed, making LODs and collision meshes, etc. All the stuff that isn't or can't be done in Sketchup."

Andy A Carter

Sep 13, 2020
England
If Blue is done, I would say at there current rate another 5 years.

Also it doesn't list the progress / state of the Brown areas

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user