Titanic Hotel

Jun 15, 2018
There is a large model of what is laughably called the Titanic in the bar area of the hotel. It is so inaccurate as to beg the question of the hotel do they have any idea of what the ship actually looked like or do they care what tourists (who are I suspect in Belfast for the Titanic experience and have a pretty good idea of the ships appearance) think. The ship was built outside the building surely some degree of accuracy would be required in a display model. There is a very good video of it on youtube. search Titanic hotel Belfast. Tom Mcclean.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I've seen it too (in photos) and it is infuriating to see. They literally drew up her deck-plans in that room and yet decided to put that in?

TITANICHOTEL_HERITAGE-225-700x350.jpg

J Sheehan

Aug 23, 2019
Cork, Ireland
That is the worst model of the Titanic I've ever seen in my life. When I first saw it in Belfast I was like "Oh god, that's the worst model ever."

Now let's see what a good Titanic model looks like! This is in an exhibit room at Cobh Railway Station in Cork Ireland.

IMG_6249.JPG

IMG_6254.JPG

They also have one of HMHS Britannic too.

IMG_6230.JPG

IMG_6208.JPG

Please forgive the reddish tinge over the model as there was an electric heater mounted on the ceiling.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
That is the worst model of the Titanic I've ever seen in my life. When I first saw it in Belfast I was like "Oh god, that's the worst model ever."

Now let's see what a good Titanic model looks like! This is in an exhibit room at Cobh Railway Station in Cork Ireland.

View attachment 45009

View attachment 45010

They also have one of HMHS Britannic too.

View attachment 45011

View attachment 45012

Please forgive the reddish tinge over the model as there was an electric heater mounted on the ceiling.
Thanks for posting that. They are two cracking models.

Would be nice to see a good model of Olympic in her razzle dazzle camouflage.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
I've seen it too (in photos) and it is infuriating to see. They literally drew up her deck-plans in that room and yet decided to put that in?

View attachment 42698
"The spirit says his name is Thomas Andrews. The spirit says he wants to know just what these jokers have done to his flipping ship !"

Thanks as always for posting that Bob. There's a good challenge there for any keen ship model makers on ET.

I'm a complete dunce at model making though.

• Haha
Reactions: Harland Duzen

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
The Titanic model on display in the old drawing office at H&W. (Titanic Hotel). One question the centre propeller is three blades and not four blades! O though one of our members has a theory could of be a three blades, as away to compare the performance between Olympic and Titanic.
The centre propeller at present is buried under sea bed debris. So may be the next group down there could clear away the sea bed debris for all to see!

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Yes I would agree it was a poor model out of scale with a crack in the hull. You would of thought some one at the expensive hotel do a better job, by asking the many experts out there in the first place! Certainly an insult to the skill workers of H&W.

Attachments

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
The Titanic model on display in the old drawing office at H&W. (Titanic Hotel). One question the centre propeller is three blades and not four blades! O though one of our members has a theory could of be a three blades, as away to compare the performance between Olympic and Titanic.
The centre propeller at present is buried under sea bed debris. So may be the next group down there could clear away the sea bed debris for all to see!
It's more than a theory.

A few years ago Mark Chirnside uncovered some very compelling evidence that Titanic's central propeller had three blades rather than four. And it's a very brave or very foolish person who picks an argument with Mark Chirnside on the Olympic class ships.

Pictures often featured in books, documentary's and websites claiming to be of Titanic's propellers taken whilst in dry dock, are actually either of the Olympic or Britannic's propellers.

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
I wouldn’t classify the “hotel model” as a scale model. It might generously be classified as “folk art”.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
One question the centre propeller is three blades and not four blades!

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Can I make it clear whether a four or three bladed centre propeller. I am well ware Mark Chirnside has done good research on Andrews note book, where he found the three blade centre propeller came from. There is evident this could well be used on Olympic in the war years and change back to four after war years.
Like so many books show the propellers in the dry dock and then claim it's the Titanic! As there are no know photos of Titanic propellers in dry dock therefore can only be Olympic.
So did Titanic have a three bladed centre propeller? Well I can see some evident for it and the reason why to compare the performance between the two ships. But like all things with the Titanic story we need to see the concrete evident!
I known another well known mechanical author on Titanic who has cast his doubts on the three bladed propeller and the reason why to!
The only way we know for sure is to uncover the sea debris from the propeller. I keep an open mind on the subject and certainty is not a dig at Mark.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Who is this "well known mechanical author on Titanic " that denies the existence of the central three bladed central propeller ?

If he or she has so called "evidence" then why don't they publish their argument and "evidence" for peer review ?

Chirnside knows the Olympic class inside out, what he doesn't know about them isn't worth knowing. I'm satisfied with the evidence he has provided.

Reactions: Tim Aldrich

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
Mike: I too wrote an article on the three bladed center propeller here: http://www.titanic-cad-plans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Titanic-center-propeller-article.pdf. Here is the simple equation as it currently exists: We have some evidence for a three bladed center propeller in the form of the H&W evidence Mark Chirnside uncovered. We have NO evidence that Titanic had a four bladed center propeller. If we could uncover the propeller on the wreck then that evidence would trump all other evidence. Unfortunately that will probably never happen so we have to go with the best evidence we have at the moment.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
Given that it came directly from a Harland & Wolff engineering notebook that recorded that Titanic was fitted with a three-bladed centre propeller, as well as documenting the changes made to Olympic's propellers in 1911 and early 1912, it's now up to this so called "well known mechanical author on Titanic " to prove otherwise.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
A few years ago I drew a rendering of what Titanic's 3 bladed center prop would look like. Below is that rendering and next to it is Olympic's 4 bladed center prop as originally installed. Besides the slight increase in prop diameter from 16' 6" to 17' 0", the individual blades had to be widened almost 33% so that the total prop area remained at 120 sq ft.
1567439460892.png

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
A bit late to to the current topic on propellers but in response to wanting to see a model of Olympic in her dazzle camouflage, here's one made from foam from Google.

dazzle_olympic.jpg

Source: New Page 1 by Martin Quinn

Last edited:
Reactions: Seumas