Titanic Hotel

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
I don't or disagree the centre propeller was four or three bladed. A few years ago at the BTS in Southampton with a member who refused point blank to believe that the Titanic had a three bladed centre propeller and certainly was not going to change his model from four blades to three blades until seeing the evident!
Mark may have a strong case for a three blades propeller. The only way to know 100% sure is to remove the sea debris from the propeller. Which I am quite well ware is not a easy task with to-day technology and costly. But can see new under water technology is coming on in leaps and bounds. I would love if they can uncover the propeller or better still recover the item.

Back to the model at the Titanic Hotel Belfast. I still think is a poor model and out of character to be in the very place where the magnificent ship was design!

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
Mike: The thing is that modelers can’t wait for all the evidence to come in. Therefore they have to go with the best evidence. The best evidence is that the center propeller had three blades. Those who model it with 4 blades have NO evidence to support that choice and are modeling from a position of stubborn ignorance.

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Mark research into a three bladed centre propeller could be well right used on Titanic. But I do find it rather strange they have gone from four to three blades, as the trend is to increase blades and not decrease blades. The Olympic case from four to three and then back to four. Britannic four what the hell is going here?
The only time I can see that did reverse the trend of less blades was on SS Great Britain. But hey it was in the very early days of the new technology.

Jun 15, 2018
It's more than a theory.

A few years ago Mark Chirnside uncovered some very compelling evidence that Titanic's central propeller had three blades rather than four. And it's a very brave or very foolish person who picks an argument with Mark Chirnside on the Olympic class ships.

Pictures often featured in books, documentary's and websites claiming to be of Titanic's propellers taken whilst in dry dock, are actually either of the Olympic or Britannic's propellers.
I am surprised Mark Chirnside claims so much for Andrews notebook since he did not design Titanic. Alexander Carlisle was H&W chief designer until he resigned because of the reduction in Lifeboats. Andrews took over as chief designer post Carlisle when most of the ship had already been drawn up. He was undoubtedly heavily involved in the ships construction, but he was not the sole designer.

Reactions: Mike Spooner

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
The so-called “Andrews Notebook” was actually entitled the “Drawing Office Copy”. Also I don’t understand your comment that Mark Chirnside “claims so much for Andrews notebook”. The information about the 3 bladed center propeller was not in the “Andrews Notebook”. It was from a Harland and Wolff engineering notebook.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ioannis Georgiou
Mar 18, 2008
Germany

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
I am surprised Mark Chirnside claims so much for Andrews notebook since he did not design Titanic. Alexander Carlisle was H&W chief designer until he resigned because of the reduction in Lifeboats. Andrews took over as chief designer post Carlisle when most of the ship had already been drawn up. He was undoubtedly heavily involved in the ships construction, but he was not the sole designer.
Mark Chirnside does not make any such claim whatsoever that Thomas Andrews was the sole designer of the ship.

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
I see this Thread has landed up with three different subjects now? We started with the model of Titanic at the Titanic Hotel in Belfast. Now drifted on to Thomas Andrews note book and Alexander Carlisle. Which both are an intriguing story's for the true.
Can we finish of the article on the poor Titanic model at the Hotel. Whether it was just found laying around and a senior manager thought that a good idea but clearly not a H&W employee. I think its placed in a ideal position, but heaven sake there must be better model out there! After all this the heart and place where Titanic was designed and built!
As for Andrews note book and Carlisle are really two different threads and one can see how controversial they are at times. As both have been discuss before in detail. If somebody wants to reopen the thread that fine with me as I see there is certainly confuses conflicting story on both.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
In terms of a replacement, how about the 1:200 scale Trumpeter model that's about to be released?

...Or a replica of the Drawing Office Model? That would certainly be appropriate!
0eb22653d82bb0cbdb30fd6647a783d0--titanic.jpg

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Point taken. But more in line the hotel name is Titanic. So lets have a top quality model of Titanic in respect for those past employees of H&W. Some thing proud show to their grandchildren and the general public to.
In the first week of the hotel opening there was other information shown on large photos in the other drawing office next to the Titanic model room.
Personal I am very glad they saved the two drawing offices and stopped them going to rack and ruins like some many other buildings of the past.

Attachments