Titanic in 100 years

D

Destiny Clardy

I have read in many different sources that the Titanic is disintegrading so fast that it won't be here in 100 years. Because of this theory being so popular among Titanic historians and because of the personal research I have done, I have come to believe this. Which means the generations to come won't have the proof that we have now. I feel this is something we all need to be thinking about. The "Unsinkable" Titanic won't be here forever.

D

Dean Manning

Destiny

It's true. The microganisms living at the Titanic's rest site are iron eating bacteria. They are slowely extracting the iron from the steel. In maby 100 years or so there won't be much of anything left of the ship. For more information, I suggest finding a copy of the Discovery Channel's video "Answers from the Abyss".

-Dean

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The rate at which the wreck is deteriorating depends on who you listen to. George Tulloch, formerly of RMS Titanic, has played up the idea that the wreck will collapse in a few years. This suits his agenda. If the wreck will soon be lost, he might as well pick up everything he can and even damage the wreck in the process.

I believe the position is nowhere near as bad as is often claimed. I have information from the Russians, via a recent visitor to the wreck, that nothing has changed much in the time they have been visiting it, except where Tulloch has damaged it. The crow’s nest is a well-known example. What has changed is that the debris field has been more or less cleared of everything movable.

There are signs that the wreck may be protected from further damage through the treaty between the US, UK, Canada and France. I would like to see Iceland and Denmark added to this, to prevent scavengers operating out of Iceland and Greenland. If the wreck can be left alone, it should survive into the distant future.

K

Karen Rock

I agree, Dave. To me, there seems to be nothing more that we can take from the wreck without damaging it further. And need anyone be reminded that it is after all a gravesite to many of the names and faces on this site. We wondered for years where Titanic was but now we've found her, visited her, photographed her and retrieved artifacts that belonged to her. I think it's time we got together to ensure she is protected from anymore damage.

T

Tracey McIntire

Hi Karen! If you are interested in getting together with a group of us that have a plan to preserve the wreck, please e-mail me at [email protected]. We have already taken the first step towards this goal. I'll be happy to give you all the details. Thanks!
--Tracey McIntire

E

Elaine Barnes

Hello, Everyone,
I just wanted to say, that even if (or when) the wreck deteriorates completely, Titanic will continue to exist for enthusiasts everywhere. It has been 88 years since Titanic foundered and people continue to be fascinated with it's story,passengers,crew and controversies. I don't think the physical ship has to be at the bottom of the ocean for people to continue to research it.
Sincerely,
Elaine

Dec 12, 1999
Elaine,

You raise an interesting point: what will be the legacy of the Titanic disaster centuries from now? Some people think it will be forgotten because disasters in forthcoming centuries will far overshadow it in significance. Titanic, and its buffs, will be forgotten. Others, however, think it's at least possible that over centuries the story will assume something of mythic proportions. As it is retold in book after book, or movie after movie, the poetic or fatalistic elements of the disaster will become increasingly more prominent than factual accuracy. The Rigel the dog story may never fly, but other tales like Captain Smith's rescue of the child at Collapsible B, and others, will creep into the story and no longer be challenged. Gradually, the story may take on its own life without any achor to the facts as we know them. Titanic "buffs" will become Titanic "bards" (if they aren't already). Try to imagine it. Perhaps by 2600 a poetry version of the Titanic story will be published under some generic title and no one will know who wrote it. A 23rd century Schliemann will vacuum the ocean bottom to see if he can confirm that there was a "Rhubiyat" thing, or a mummy. A rivet will be found in the 25th century, encrusted in rock along with a piece of porcelin from a sink. Areas around Halifax will be dug up to find where the Titanic victims' graves actually were, and whether they truly existed. Any other thoughts from the future Homers out there?