TITANIC in 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt Endacott

Hey,
I was just wondering about laws concerning ocean liners today in 2003?
Is it still women & children first? Also, how many boats do they have to carry?
And finally how does Titanic rank (in size & luxury) compared to ships like the new Queen Mary TWO?
Best Regards,
Matt Endacott

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
If you want to do some comparisions, the Titanic's full load displacement (As in her actual weight) at a navigation draft of 34 feet 7 inches was 53,210 long tonnes. By comparision the Queen Mary 2 is about three times larger. Were she measured up against most ships today, she would be about "average."

The rules on lifeboats are that boats are required for all aboard. Woman and children first is not a statutory requirement now, and to the best of my knowladge, was not a statutory requirement in 1912 either...although it was reckoned as the custom to follow and sometimes it actually was. In reality, it seldom ever happened that way. Research the wrecks of the Artic and the Atlantic and you'll see what I mean.

When everything went to hell, you were either quick to take advantage of any opprtunity that came your way to save your skin or you were dead.

Apr 5, 2003
If you want to do some comparisions, the Titanic's full load displacement (As in her actual weight) at a navigation draft of 34 feet 7 inches was 53,210 long tonnes.
So do you know the displacement of the QM2 for comparison?

J

Jake Angus

Daniel, I take it you're not overly enamoured w/the lines of QM2? I like the old yacht lines of the Olympic class and the Maury and Lucy.

I'd be interested to read about the QM2 experience. I have the brochure and video on the way. I'm afraid I'll be looking for a transatlantic crossing in the old, grand manner. I must reconfigure my thinking if I'm not to be disappointed!

Jun 11, 2000
Jake, you may be interested in some market research I saw not long ago in a journal. Apparently, cruise directors find difficulty accommodating the preferences of Americans and Europeans. It seems the Euros like a ship to be a ship; bracing sea breezes, out of sight of land, pounding the decks etc. etc., topped off with some really good food and drink. Americans prefer hotel-style ships. Lots of stops and trips, and plenty of Law Vegas style entertainment. Some cruise lines are trying to design ships to be adaptable according to the passenger mix, it said. Don't know how true it is.

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Daniel!

I must agree most new cruise ships resemble a shoe box with a pointed nose, I am not a huge fan of the modern "Box Cruiser" myself.

Gone forever are the graceful lines, tiered decks and elegantly raked funnels of the Olympic Class
cry.gif

Best Regards,

Brian

J

Jake Angus

Monica, give me the 'European' style ships any day. Your description of the 'American' preferences curdled the milk in my 'tay'!

Jun 11, 2000
Perhaps the best of both worlds, the Normandie? And what an ignominious end. But I can think of routes where the American preferences would be better; the middle east, for example? Short hops and so much to see.

Apr 5, 2003
I believe the exterior design of a ship depends on technical and economical matters and not on the continent, where it was build. It is an economical need to build the ships as big as possible regarding the given dimensions. This results in the shoe box design. The reason, why this design wasn't used earlier is that it wasn't technically possible.
For a comparison the QM expanded to 345 m length and 40 m beam would only have a bit more than 100,000 GRT instaed of the 150,000 GRT of QM2

Apr 5, 2003
I believe the exterior design of a ship depends on technical and economical matters and not on the continent, where it was build. It is an economical need to build the ships as big as possible regarding the given dimensions. This results in the shoe box design. The reason, why this design wasn't used earlier is that it wasn't technically possible.
For a comparison the QM expanded to 345 m length and 40 m beam would only have a bit more than 100,000 GRT instead of the 150,000 GRT of QM2

Orijit Kar

Nov 25, 2003
Will the QM2 run as a cruise ship or an ocean liner? Speaking of those...are there any (ocean liners) left in the world?

Tim Brandsoy

Feb 19, 2002
Isn't the QM2 is taking over the World Tour from the QE2? Wouldn't that make her more of a Ocean Liner than a Cruise Ship? She does look more like a Cruise Ship....kinda fat and top heavy, not as yacht-like looking as the QE2.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The World Tour is...to my understanding...considered to be a cruise. Liner traffic is the sort of thing that goes from point A to point B, back to point A and nowhere else on a regular schedule. That's what the trans-Atlantic run was.

Status
Not open for further replies.