Titanic in Google SketchUp

Dec 17, 1996
Hello everyone.

I've been trying to make a proper Titanic model for years but could never finish one because I could never get it perfect. Now that I've moved away from home and all my models, I've started to build the ship in 3D with the only program I could afford, Google SketchUp. It's powerful enough to render the whole ship while being small enough to fit comfortably on my laptop.

I submit a few photos of my decks for review. I've used all my sources to get everything as right as I could get it-

The Hahn Titanic plans
Bruce Beveridge's General Arrangement Plans, the TRMA, Peter Davies-Garner's modeling book and all the books in my collection. I cannot wait until TTSM comes out in April so I can get the other details spot on. I hope you enjoy these pictures. I have fun "walking" around the decks and through all the rooms I've always wanted to go into.

Stern View

Starboard Forward View

Father Browne Photo 1

Father Browne Photo 2

Father Browne Photo 3

Bird's Eye View

Funnel Number 2

Forward Well and Forecastle Decks

First Class Lounge and Reading/Writing Room

First Class Smoking Room

Private Promenade and Staterooms

Second Class Entrance

Lounge Raised Roof

There are many things that I wish I could include but I'm not sure how yet. A big thing is the ship's sheer. Textures are the best I can get them at the moment, while all floor tiles were re-created from photographs (except for the Smoking Room where I think I took it from titanic.marconigraph.com, if that's an issue I'll make the tile myself)

Any comments, or any wishes to see more are appreciated! If you have Google SketchUp, or wish to get it for free, you can actually download these files and use the walkthru tool to move around the decks. As of right now, the files are too large to have every deck stacked on top of each other, but I'm working on it!

Sincerely,
Matthew DeWinkeleer

A

Alexander John Cooley

That is looking good. Would love to see more photo's and perhapes see the whole thing even.

Mike Pfaff

Jul 14, 2008
-Matthew
These models are excellent. It's too bad that they can't be uploaded all at once from the 3-D Warehouse. But I have dowloaded them individually and stacked them on top of each other. Keep up with the updates. They really make a difference.

Aug 26, 2008
Gaspe Quebec
Hello,

For a wile now I have been modeling the Titanic in Google Sketchup. It is a free and easy to use program. I know you can only expect so much out of sketchup, but in the right hands you can do great things. To render my Images I have used Kerkythea which is also a great program that is easy to use. In the future I am going to try and tackle 3d's max but for now Sketchup will do.

here are some pics...

20071224154814_2m8s.png

134901.jpg

dellwall3.jpg

134902.jpg

bridge.jpg

134903.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Aug 26, 2008
Gaspe Quebec
Yeh the stern was not an easy task. to get the proper rounded shape I found "push pulled" a flat surface the proper shape of the top of the stern downward. once it was a 3d object I scaled the bottom face narrower to make a bit of a curb. I repeated this several times and a half decent stern was the result.

stern.png

134914.jpg

Kevin Keating

Apr 1, 2007
I've been trying to model Titanic in 3ds max, hopefully I'll put some pictures on here soon once I make progress. The stern has also been extremely difficult to make, I only got a reasonable approximation of it but I'm not happy with it. Each time I try I find something else wrong with it ... the hull is definitely the hardest part to model for me.

sternshot.jpg
(ignore the slightly exaggerated hull sheer)

I'm also trying to work on a realistic funnel, having some problems with that as well although definitely not as much (easier shapes to deal with).

funnel.jpg

I know it's not perfect (far from it) but it's at least a sufficient start.

Mar 4, 2011
On Google Sketchup one guy actually designed the TITANIC from the ground up- its amazing. If thats not enough, he then reenacted the sinking. You have to have Google Sketchup 8 to do it. I'd highly recommend checking it out!

[Moderator's note: This message, originally posted as a separate thread in a different topic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread about Google Sketchup. MAB]