Titanic in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikael Jonsson

Former Member
Hi everyone.

Me and my wife are going to United Kingdom for 16 days this summer. We are going to travel around the whole UK (except Ireland) with train and live at different "bed and breakfasts".

What Titanicrelated places or museums do you recommend us to visit during our visit in UK?
This is our first visit in UK so we have no idea what to see.

best regards, Mikael

Hi Mikael.

If you will be in the north of England, you should see the White Swan Hotel in Alnwick, north of Newcastle. The Olympic Lounge has the paneling from the Olympc's First Class Lounge.

I recommend the Maritime Museums in both Liverpool and Southampton, as well as the Greenwich Maritime Museum.

Southampton also has the Titanic Trail, which includes Cobwebs, the maritime memorabalia shop, The Grapes Public House (where the Slade brothers story played out), and the Museum.

In Belfast, the Folk & Transportation Museum has a wonderful Titanic Exhibit.

Alex McLean

Former Member
Mikael,
I also recommend you check out the sites around Southampton. John, Jason and I had a great time checking it all out.

John,
I went back to the Ocean Dock on the 17th and went through the same enterence as we tried to get through on the 15th. I stated I was going to see the Lord Nelson, which was tied up at berth 46 of the ocean dock. Not a problem at all getting through. Should have tried that instead, it was in on the 15th. I got around to number 44 before leaving, too.
My best,
happy.gif

Alex

Mikael Jonsson

Former Member
Thank you John and Alex for the information.

Southampton and the White Swan Hotel are now both on the list of places we will visit.

best regards, Mikael

Harriet Collingham

Former Member
If you want something Titanic related you could go and see Sundowner in Ramsgate Harbour (She was Lightoller's and he took her over to Dunkirk during the evacuation). She's owned by the East Kent Maritime Trust and is rather lovely.

Alex McLean

Former Member
Hattie,
Got any more photos of her? I'm trying to get back across to the UK in October, and would love to see her myself. Reckon you could arrange a tour of her for me?
My best,
happy.gif

Alex

Alex McLean

Former Member
You sent them over to me in March. I was in the UK from April 8th through 18th, and changed host families a few days after returning, and they aren't on this computer.
My best,
happy.gif

Alex

Donna Grizzle

Former Member
Hi everyone! I live in the USA but I have a friend who lives in the UK would like to know a few good Titanic places in the UK for a beginning Titanic enthusiast to visit. I have been able to find little information online aside from the Southampton Maritime Museum. Any suggestions?

Hi Donna

Well, Southampton is the most obvious place. There are quite a few separate memorials all within walking distance. There is a book by Brian Ticehurst which gives details and location. He will probably respond to your enquiry.

[Moderator's Note: This message and the one immediately above it have been moved from a separate thread under a different topic to this pre-existing thread on the same subject. MAB]

Hi Donna

Ernie is talking about the 'Titanic Trail' in Southampton. I did it myself last year and it is well worth doing. There is a memorial at the docks you can go and see along with plenty of others.

The Maritime museum in Liverpool has a Titanic section, there's a memorial to Wallace Hartley in Colne in Lancashire and another to Jack Phillips in Godalming in Surrey.

I know that you could visit Mr Boxhall's grave in Wales but you would have to check this site for the exact location.

Hope that's helped a bit.

Inger Sheil

I think that might be Harold Lowe's grave in Llandrillo-yn-Rhos you're thinking of, Dorothy - Boxhall was cremated and his ashes were scattered over the site where he calculated the Titanic sank.

You are correct that there is a Titanic trail in Southampton, but the book by Brian that Ernie was referring to is Titanic's Memorials Worldwide: Where They Are Located - an excellent work that he keeps up to date. As the name suggests, it deals with memorials to Titanic and those connected with her that are located all over the world.

I knew I was wrong about it being Boxhall's grave the minute I posted it but of course it was too late by then. Thanks anyway.

As I said, I did the Titamic trail around Southampton myself last year. The only disappointment was that you can't get round to the actual berth that Titanic left from.

The memorial at the docks is just inside the gate but the security guards will let you in to take a look.

The museum is well worth going to and I would suggest you go there first as they will give you a leaflet marking the trail out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.