Titanic In Toledo 2 May 9 10 2003

Dec 4, 2000
All members of the ET forum are cordually invited to participate in our second annual "Titanic In Toledo" event aboard the S.S. Willis B. Boyer. This is a fund-raiser to help defray the cost of maintianing the last floating contemprary ship to Titanic. The Boyer was launched in 1911 and was for a short time the "world's largest" freighter. It shares the same plate thickness and rivet construction as Titanic. And, it has first class accommodations to rival the great liners.

This year, the event will be held in May because of a plumbing problem--the ship's toilets won't be working in April. So, we are re-naming the month on a temporary basis to suite our needs.

Here's the schedule of events:

Thursday, May 8 7:00 p.m.
Brown does book presentation on "White Hurricane" at Thackeray's Books in Toledo. He will also promote the Titanic event.

Friday, May 9 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Technical discussions about new research will be presented to invited researchers. All members of the ET forum are hereby invited. We will hold these discussions on board the ship, which we will use as a lifesize "prop." Lunch will be taken in the dining saloon, but probably consist of delivery pizza.

Saturday May 10 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Public tours of the Boyer which will have special signs and guides to explain the similarities of the existing ship to the Titanic.

Saturday May 10 10:00 a.m. to Noon
We are working on a live presentation by a noted expert. Suggestions welcome.

Saturday May 10 2:00 p.m.
Hardhat tour of "forbidden" places on the ship. These include the shaft alley, lower engine room, crew's quarters in forecastle, and the forepeak area where Titanic suffered iceberg damage. Hardhats required. Bring your own because the ship does not supply them.

Saturday May 10 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
We plan to have an ala carte dinner at the famous Tony Pako's Cafe. This is the place that Klinger on M*A*S*H was always bragging about. The hot dogs are famous, but the buns are on the wall. Lots of fun and not too expensive.

Saturday May 10 7:30 p.m. to ???
We will be conducting public tours with some costumed docents. These tours will focus on re-creating the Titanic for the visitors. Captain Erik will conduct his famous boat drill to end the evening. This year we will be able to actuall crank out the Welin davits. The davits on the Boyer were made by the same company that made Titanic's davits. They are of a smaller size, but of the same pattern.

For a slight extra fee, we plan to have samples of crew grub, 3rd class fare, and 1st class cuisine served in the appropriate dining areas aboard ship. This will be finger food, but should help to set the mood.

The cost of the event is $6 donation for the regular tours on Saturday and $10 donation for the evening special Titanic event. An extra $5 donation will be asked for the food. All of the proceeds from this event go to the maintenance of the Boyer. The events on Friday will require the $10 donation, but that will include Saturday as well.

Last year, the Saturday night portion of this event was about 4 times as successful as we expected. This year, we are asking that people make reservations so that we have room for everyone. If you are interested, please send me an e-mail at: [email protected]t

On Sunday, May 11, some of the people plan to drive to the Detroit exhibit. The drive is only about an hour from Toledo. This is not a sponsored part of the event.

Looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible.

-- David G. Brown

Dec 4, 2000
Yes, we are still going forward. Had to be sure of the plumbing first, though.

I have it on good authority that Eddie Goyette, the museum director, has a white rocket!

-- Dave

Dec 4, 2000
My thanks to those who have responded by private e-mail. I will reply shortly.

To all-- don't worry, we're not going to let Cap'n Erik actually launch the boat, just show how the davits work.

And, contrary to the wishes of some, we are not going to sink the ship. Otherwise, it should be an enjoyable evening.

More details to come.

-- David G. Brown

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
I don't get to launch the boat?? Man, I guess my wife shouldn't have taken out that extra insurance on me.

Do I still get to yell from the bridge like last year???

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Is that a good thing or a bad thing???

I seem to have lost Eddie's number can you foward via private email when time permits??

Oh, and I will send you an email letting you know that I will be attending.

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
For the record, my wife has taken note of Daves use of the following phrase:

"Captain Eriks will conduct his FAMOUS boat drill"

Famous??? Or are you referring to a different boat drill in which my starboard shaft required an extensive overhaul? My wife thinks that by attaching my name to the phrase "his famous boat drill", it will give me a big head and that I will tout around that house that I am some how connected to something famous and that I am now famous, all of which would greatly annoy her.

So she asks my friend Dave to remove the "his famous" part because she fears it will lead to my constantly saying I am famous, or in a briefer term for her sanity she doesn't want Dave saying I am attached to something famous.

I say it's to late to modify your post Dave so HA HA HA HA you have to deal with my wife after I drive her bonkers.

I do hope that you can come Mike.

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
There is no such thing as a "safe" boat drill but I agree we need to keep the drill from becoming famous.

It will be a good time that you can count on.

Dec 4, 2000
While we are having fun with Erik's lifeboat connection...in truth we will do it very safely with nobody in the boat itself or in harm's way. Our "drill" will hardly pass muster as a real US Coast Guard test. We just want to show how the davits operate. Most people have never seen one in action.

The Toledo shipyard is one of the few places in North America where you can get a rivet put back into a ship. I am working on getting someone from the shipyard to speak to us on Saturday about riveted ships and damage to which they are subject.

-- David G. Brown

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
That would be a great discussion I hope you can pull the strings to get it done.

I would be very interested to hear what he/she has to say.

Dec 4, 2000
Off topic, but Nate Robison who helped out so much with last year's event tells me that he survived a bicycle accident with some minor injuries to body and pride. He has not said what happened to the bike. He will be fine, but a kind word his way might be appropriate.

-- David G. Brown