Titanic in Toledo 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Yes, you read the title of the thread correctly!! Once again the Titanic will be sank in the Maumee river this year.

Captain Dave Brown and I will be hosting a 3 day technical event aboard the S.S. Willis B. Boyer September 29th through October the 1st.

This even is going to be primarily a technical event. A number cruncher and rivet counters paradise, but all are welcome to attend.

As of right now Friday thru Sunday afternoon will be filled with different presenters. If you are interested in presenting please contact me at [email protected] and arrangements will be made.

There will be a fee associated with this event to cover the cost of presentation materials and use of the Boyer.

Saturday evening there will be a public event/fundraiser for the Boyer involving the Titanic. It will most likely include pilothouse and engine room reenactments as done in the past, tours of the Boyer and anything else we want to throw in. All attendees of the event are likely to assist in this event. For those who don't know the Boyer was constructed around 1911 and has many similar construction features. There will NOT however be a boat drill as in the past, due to some problems with the boat deck on the Boyer.

I will be creating a presentation schedule, so if you are interested in presenting please email me and I will go over particulars with you.

If you can confirm that you will attend please send me an email with your name, address and email address if I don't already have it.

In addition to information being posted here, an email list will be created and the Great Lakes Titanic Society have offered up some web space to post updates. That is in the process of being created and the web address will be posted here when it is ready.

Here is a rough current schedule event:

THURSDAY:

People arrive during the day, and an informal meal and get together will be held at a place to be announced.

FRIDAY:

Presentations and friendly discussion from 0900 to 1800 with a lunch break and an evening meal together at place to be announced (but Tony Packo's is NOT out of the question).

SATURDAY:

Presentations during the day 0900 to 1700. Dinner and then a public event on the Boyer starting around 1900.

SUNDAY:

Wrap up from 0900 to noon and then we all depart for respective places of abode.

I am sure that following each day beverage, cigars and chit chat will follow each day, and breakfast together can be worked out.

As the presentation schedule get's more specific it will be posted here and on the GLTS website once the page devoted to this event is up and running.

Some come on down to Toledo!!!!

Feb 7, 2005
Should be a great weekend! Thanks to both you and Dave Brown for putting this together.

It's a shame you won't be able to do the boat drill this time, but I know you and Dave will have lots of other fascinating things on the agenda.

Denise

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't think I'll miss the boat drill. Those davits weren't exactly the easiest thing to work and we weren't even playing with a boat! (Ever imagine what it was like on the Titanic with a real boat full of people? I can!) In any event, unless my vacation request is disapproved, count me in!

Oct 28, 2000
Michael--

We can't put a crowd up there this year, but I was thinking one man might be OK. And, since you have had experience with those Welin davits...

A thought strikes me that not many Americans alive today have seen "steamboat gothic" wood decoration at its finest. What we have on the Boyer is typical of the lesser-decorated areas of a ship like Titanic. In Detroit, they have the smoking lounge from the SS City of Detroit. It is reconstructed as it would have been. The Dossin museum where it resides is part of the real city called Detroit and has money problems, meaning strange hours of operation. I'll check to see if visiting it would be possible as a field trip either before or after our Toledo event.

Also, my fleet (sic) of water taxis will be in service during the Toledo event. If we have time, I'll arrange for us to tour some of the harbor, including a look at the graving ("dry") dock at the Toledo Shipyard. That time of year we should see freighters coming up to the grain docks above the Boyer.

-- David G. Brown

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>We can't put a crowd up there this year, but I was thinking one man might be OK. And, since you have had experience with those Welin davits... <<

Working a Welin Davit as a one man show??? I don't think so! At least not if we want to show what it takes to coordinate the work. If it's just a question of showing what it takes to move one of the davit arms however, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Regarding the part of the public presentation, I guess I'm going to be looking for a job. Any idea where I can be the most useful so I can start boning up on whatever I need to know?

BTW, if anyone clicks on http://www.liberty-ship.com/html/pictures/gl2000out.html, they'll see an interesting article on the Liberty Ship John W. Brown and her voyage to the Toledo Shipyard for rivet replacement. According to the article, it's the only shipyard capable of this sort of work.

Feb 7, 2005
Mike, when I clicked on the link I got nothing, so got my computer ace (a.k.a., John) to take a look at it. There was an inadvertent comma--here's the correct address: http://www.liberty-ship.com/html/pictures/gl2000out.html

The Dossin museum would be a nice field trip, Dave. The "Gothic Room" from the SS City of Detroit III is a very impressive thing to see, with its elaborately carved oak and stained glass. The Dossin Museum is also the home to the pilothouse from the Str. William Clay Ford (she was one of the vessels involved in the search for the Edmund Fitzgerald after she went down in Lake Superior in 1975). Outside the building rests one of the anchors from Fitzgerald, retrieved after accidentally being lost in the Detroit River on an upbound trip. The museum is located on historic Belle Isle. Once a beautiful "get away" spot for city dwellers at the turn of the last century, it now is, sadly, more than a little worse for wear. Still, it gives us a glimpse of what was the Gilded Age.

Denise

Oct 28, 2000
By the time we get there, the Boyer will have yet another new director. The woman who had been running the ship has tired of not being paid. She accepted a better job with less problems and a steady paycheck. Can you blame her? With the ever present mystery of the new director, I can't promise what will happen. However, I am not worried that we will have a warm welcome. The first Titanic "event" was the single most successful one-night fundraiser in the ship's history. I don't think Erik and I will ever forget the look on the late Eddie Goyette's face when he saw all those people!

The lifeboat drill will not happen because the boat deck of the Boyer has many of the same metal problems today as Titanic's boat deck. Steel is a deceptive material. It seems so hard, so solid and yet is sooooo eaten up by rust.

-- David G. Brown

Feb 7, 2005
Wow--that's a shocker! I just got to know her a little bit, and she's gone. I guess that's what happens when you expect someone to do a very difficult job and then not pay her. Too bad, because she was doing some good things on the Boyer.

I wish Kim the best in her new endeavor.

Denise

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Will there be a sign up sheet for the stern jump?<<

Er...you first. Sorry, can't offer up any hungry sharks to "play" with, but given the location, the water should be plenty cold enough to get your teeth chattering.
wink.gif

>>It seems so hard, so solid and yet is sooooo eaten up by rust.<<

I hope that replacement of the worn our deck is sometime in the near future then. Can't say as it's a real surprise. Even in fresh water, sooner or later, steel gives way to the elements.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Come on Mike, 'you jump - I jump', remember?<<

Now now, that was somebody named Leo trying to get a sexy screen siren into a Renault in the cargo hold for "Great Sport And Merriment." For myself, I don't do freezing water. (But I have good news: I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to CrimeCo!)

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Just a quick update. Sam Helpern and Roy Mengot have agreed to do some presentations. They are slated for Friday, I will be doing one in the afternoon and another at night on ship handling, with the assistance of Captain Brown and the Maumee River Taxi.

We still have plenty of open time. If you are interested please don't hesitate to email me through the above listed website.

Speaking of which, it will be updated in the near future to reflect these scheduled presentations. As I add them to the calendar I will post something here in addition to having the website updated.

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Here is another update:

Lunch on friday will be on Captain Brown's Maumee River Taxi price and such to be announced as we get closer.

Friday night's dinner may be formal 1912 affair. I am still working on this. Kyrila Scully will be doing a presentation that will be added to the schedule at a later time on Friday.

Saturday we will have dinner aboard the Boyer prior to the public fund raiser.

If you any questions please let me know.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
A formal dinner? Ohmygawd! I haven't worn a suit and tie in years! I suppose I better get something resonably decent for the affair! I'll be looking forward to getting together with the rest of the gang!

Status
Not open for further replies.