Titanic Inc greedy grave robbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Karen Angstadt

Not only is it a little greedy, I think it will be kind of dangerous. I would never be involved in it. With all they've done since the Titanic was found in '85, things might have shifted. I'd be concerned about the stability of the wreck. Karen

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
I would suggest a letter-writing campaign to RMST,
Inc. protesting the action. Not sure if it would
work, but one never knows...
Dan

T

Tracey McIntire

Dear Dan,
I work in Norfolk, Virginia, where the local district court has jurisdiction over RMST. The local newspaper has had a lot of stories concerning the latest salvage operation that was launched this month. RMST has fired George Tulloch as president, and is now owned by the greedy stockholders who will stop at nothing to plunder Titanic for all it's worth. Fortunately, the US Government has noticed this latest change in the salvage operations and has started steps to institute specific salvage guidelines for Titanic. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency (NOAA) has drafted these guidelines, and it is hoped that the US Government will challenge RMST in court. I am not sure of all the legalities involved, but I do know that the judge has always tended to side with RMST (unfortunately). RMST is also co-owned by SFX Entertainment, a big Hollywood company. Unfortunately I don't think a letter-writing campaign to RMST would influence them. For now I am waiting to see what the government will do. If you would like me to let you know any future developments, I would be happy to do so.
Sincerely,
Tracey McIntire

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Karen, Re the condition of the wreck; The iron of the hull is being rapidly eaten up by bacteria at a rate of about a ton a day...according to the documentary on the Discovery Channel I saw two years ago. Eventually, the ship will be too fragile to land a submersible on the boat deck as has been done from the time Dr. Ballard's team first located her. I have some serious misgivings about all of this. I certainly support artifact recovery and examination for the cause of science. God alone knows what myths and mysteries remain to be solved, upheld and/or debunked. However, RMS Titanic Inc. Makes me nervous for the same reasons it does everybody else. Besides which, I can't stand grave robbers!
Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

K

KAREN ANGSTADT

Hi Michael, now that you mention it, I think I saw that show. Is that the one where they had a gentleman testing the steel to predict when the Titanic would disintegrate? I would be afraid to be involved in the actual diving knowing what I know(not to mention that but claustrophobia would kill me). I think taking pictures should be enough. Karen

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
I would support an ROV image capturing mission of various parts of the ship, as one mission did a couple of years ago (finding the mail room, the cargo holds, staterooms, etc.) but I cannot see what a 'scavenger' hunt would accomplish by stripping the interiors of anything from hairbrushes to dinner plates that would expand our knowledge of the ship. They've already scoured the debris field for anything that could be picked up. Leaving the ship itself alone and as a memorial, I feel, would be the course of action to take. But, then again, money or the acquisition thereof is not the driving force in my life.
As for the Discovery Channel programs, I felt that they were always attempting to pave over everyone else's research up until that point, even as far as leaving Bob Ballard's original discovery and exploration out of the picture completely. Twice in recent specials, the narrator informed the viewer that the wreck was discovered in *1987* - the year recovery operations was begun by what was to become RMST, Inc. My impression was that RMST was trying to make all information about Titanic originate from them.

Dan

Y

yurisingleton

Dan,

I agree with your preception of the Discovery
Channel specials. The theme seemed to always place George T. and RMS Titanic as the original finders and sole experts on Titanic wreck research. If they did mention Dr. Ballard and the
Woods Hole team it was only in the fine print of the story.
Thankfully its well documented that Dr. Ballard found the Titanic, filmed it, mapped it, studied it; and then left it alone without taking a thing.

Yuri

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Karen, I think we have both seen the same show...and the ongoing disintigration of the wreck is now a well established fact. Some of this is readily observable by way of things like the crows nest which has since fallen away and the roof of the gymnasium which has collapsed since the wreck was first discovered. The structural integrity of the hull can't be improving in the least. If a submersible one of these days lands on the boat deck and the ship caves in around it, or if they even so much as get entangled in some wreckage, one would hope they have some poison pills as a Final Freind, because they're chances of being rescued are exactly zero_Or if they are really lucky, the subs pressure vessel will collapse and end their suffering in a microsecond.

I know this sounds grim, but wreck diving like this is extremely dangerous work. One little mistake, and the divers are history.
Cordially,
Michael H. Standart
SH-1 USN/Ret.

K

Karen Angstadt

So I guess when Bill Paxtons' character said that in "Titanic" he wasn't being dramatic. I hate to be nasty, but maybe an accident like that would stop all greedy people from plundering the wreck.
Karen

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Karen, don't count on it. When the unscrupulous sniff money, you would be amazed at what they would be willing to risk to get it. And you're right, Bill Paxton's character wasn't being dramatic. It really would be over in a microsecond.
Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Pedro Soares

Jun 28, 2000
Portugal
I agree with you all. Diving in yhose subs is very dangerous and the stability of the wreck is not trustable. But I think that not even abad accident would stop them. Could someone please give me their address? I would like to write them a hard letter. Ah,could you tell me too where can I find news on the current expedition? With those guys, Titanic is no longer safe.

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.