Titanic Interior Images

Dec 7, 2000
I was just writing an e-mail to someone regarding Titanic interior photos and images, and thought that it might be useful if I posted the results of it here. Here is a list of images that I can account for that were interior images of Titanic.

There were 10 interior images that were taken by H&W.

1 of B57
1 of B58
2 of B59
1 of B60
1 of B63
1 of B64
1 of B52 private promenade
1 of the Gymnasium
1 of the Cafe Parisien

There were other interior images in newspapers and other printed media. Between them, these are the ones that I can think of that are Titanic.

3 of Cafe Parisien
2 of B59
2 of the Gymnasium
1 of the B51 private promenade
1 of the B52 private promenade
1 of the B51 Adams sitting room
1 of the Turkish Bath
1 of the starboard Verandah Cafe
1 of the Swimming pool
1 of a lady in the Gym. on one of the camels
1 of Lawrence Beesley and a friend in the Gym.

Other than the above 15 and the 10 by H&W, totaling 25 interior Titanic images, there were those by Fr. Browne.

2 of his cabin A37
1 of the Dining saloon
1 Gymnasium
1 marconi room

I don't think that the Ladies Reading and Writing room photo in the Fr. Browne book is from Titanic, the light coming through the windows seems to look like it's on Olympic.

This gives a total of 30 interior PHOTOS on Titanic that I can think of. If you know of, or can think of any others, please let me know.

Then there are the artist's impressions.

1 of Cafe Parisien (in Shipbuilder)
1 of the B52 Private promenade (in Shipbuilder)
1 of the B deck reception room (in Shipbuilder)

According to the index of Ulster Folk and Transport Museum, the following were also intended to represent interiors of Titanic.

1 the lady entering a bathroom
1 lady sitting on sofa in cabin
1 people exiting and entering the elevators

These can also be used to represent Olympic interiors, but going by the index of UFTM etc., this adds a further 6 images to interiors of Titanic. All in all totaling up to 36 Titanic interior images.

If anyone knows of or can think of any others that I might have missed or don't know about, please let me know.

Regards,

Daniel.

PS. Just for regurgitation, there are 5 images of the Café Parisien, 6 of the Gymnasium, 4 of B59 and 4 of various private promenades. These seem to have been the most popular areas to photograph or represent.

Dec 7, 2000
On second thought there could be more.

There's the image of Capt. Smith standing near the bridge, with the "interiors" of the bridge being somewhat visible behind him. Depending on how you classify this image, it could either be interior or a deck shot.

Then there's the image that shows 4th officer Boxhal and 2nd officer Lightoller at a gangway door, and behind them, one can just get a glimpse of the interiors.

There are also one or 2 images in the kitchens. I have seen these attributed to Olympic as well, so I'm not actually sure whether indeed these are from Titanic, but if so, then there are a further 2 images showing insides of Titanic.

I bought a first class rates booklet from THS. They say it is a facsimile from an original. If so, then this booklet having being printed in Jan 1912 shows cabin C57. This same arrangement was found on Olympic after it's 1913 refit. I wouldn't rush to say that this particular image is indeed of Titanic though, THS may have added it.

Also, in the Illustrated History book, in the cabins section, there is an artist's impression of a cabin like C57 on Titanic. Depending on when this picture was done, it might be representing Olympic's new cabin arrangement after the 1913 refit, or else is an artist's impression of what Titanic's C57 was meant to look like.

I mention a further 6 images above, but depending on how we classify the bridge one, we can only be sure that 2 of them are in fact Titanic images.

Daniel.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
On that photo of Captain Smith by the bridge, take a good look inside and see if you can see the front of the wheelhouse. If it's rounded, it's the Olympic. She didn't get the flat faced wheelhouse until her the post-Titanic refit.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Apr 22, 2012
Does anyone know of a site where I can view the Boxhall / Lightoller gangway pic? Or does anyone have it saved and could e-mail it to me perhaps? I don't think I've ever saw it, although it seems as though I should've. Thanks.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Dec 7, 2000
Mike,

Open to pp.118 - 119 of your new Bryceson book, the wheelhouse is square, like on Titanic. But I'm still not sure whether to classify this as a deck shot or interior. Depending on what one thinks, you can take it either way, it won't make a difference.

David,

I know of Fr. Browne's Café picture, but that's not the one I was referring to. His picture is too dark and basically nothing is visible, so I didn't include it in the count ... however we might as well, since we can see a tiny bit.

Plants were changed over every round trip. Whether palms were changed every voyage or not, I don't know, but they would have been changed occasionally.

Now for this R/W room picture. The fact that so much light is coming through indicates that there were no screen windows. Also, if you look at the large window facing forward, you can sort of make out the deck ceiling and the rail with no breaks/indications of the screen windows. As for the picture on pg.84, how that photo was attributed to Fr. Browne I have no idea! It is a H&W photo, and I have a copy of it. The H&W photo was taken when Olympic was just completed, small furniture rearrangements might have taken place before Browne took the photo (pre Titanic, probably 1911). Also observe the fold on the rug in both pictures, they're identical. The thing that has occurred, was the chair near the table was moved to the other side of the arched opening. Furthermore, the quality of the R/W room photo matches the quality of other Olympic photos he took (pre Titanic). If you have a look at those and compare them to his Titanic photos, you can see the quality of the Titanic prints is better.

Brandon,

Do you have the Eaton and Haas TTT book? It's on pg. 108 there.

Regards,

Daniel.

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Daniel,

I said that the photo on page 84 was by Browne only because the book implies that it was taken by him.

Interesting about the rug fold. I agree that they're a bit too similar to be coincidence. However, why would a fold in the rug be left unaltered from the time of the Belfast photo shoot to the time of Browne's voyage? Apparently the palms were being replaced, so why weren't the rugs being straightened? I'm not suggesting that you're wrong, for I agree with you, I'm just wondering why the stewards would have left such an obvious imperfection go unfixed.

David

Dec 7, 2000
David,

Sorry, I wasn't implying that you suggested it was a Browne photo. I know the book implies that. I have seen this photo also attributed to the Illustrated London News (in the Titanic Voices book) but I have seen the ILN, and the photo was not there! This particular photo seems to be attributed to a great many sources.

I have no idea why the fold is there. It seems very odd to me as well, but then again it was found that the room did not prove to be as popular as anticipated, so perhaps there was no one to step on it or to straighten it out. I don't actually know when Browne visited Olympic (he never travelled on it, only visited it when it stopped at Queenstown, he came over with the tenders). It may have been one of the early trips of the Olympic and there was no time for anyone to fix up the rug, or it simply just remained like that continuously.

Brandon,

I know I have seen this picture in other books, I'm just not sure which ones. I'll have a look through my books and let you know if I find any.

Regards,

Daniel.

S

Scott R. Andrews

Michael & Daniel

RE: Photo of E.J. outside the bridge.

Bruce Beveridge has obtained an uncropped copy of that photo. Most sources have either cropped the photo to center the subject, or have used previously cropped images from other sources. In Bruce's copy, the forward wall of the wheelhouse is visible in the right side of the image, and it is indeed Titanic. The forward wall is flat and the side wall is recessed under the bridge roof. As you may recall, not only was the front wall of Olympic's original wheelhouse curved, but the sides were flush with the exterior edges of the bridge roof, with a small recessed vestibule on each side for the exterior entry doors.

Regards,

Scott Andrews

Feb 14, 2011
Dont forget that image from Walther Lord's 'The Night Lives On" of a couple passengers posing by the fourth funnel...

Plus in Titanic Triumph and Tragedy, there are some remarkable 1912 newspaper photos taken on Titanic's deck. One we know must be Titanic was taken by the port side of the bridge, looking down on the forcastle. The presense of the portside skylight over the fireman's mess indicate it definatly to be Titanic. Then there was the photo on 2nd class deck space, with some boxes containing glass goods in the foreground. Some insist that was in fact Olympic, but if that forcastle shot was takenm by the same man, Im inclined to believe all his photos were of Titanic.

There is at least 1 photo of Titanic's Turkish Bath- Its closeup of some of those strange chairs in that room..

And rest assured there are unpublished phtos out there..

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Feb 14, 2011
oops-I gave exterior examples, not interior.
Well, Ive seen 2 different photos taken inside Titanic's promenade deck. There is one of the Father Brown photos- the uncropped image reveals the curvature of the enclosure to the far right. This is the image some claimed to have been Capt. Smith walking down the promenade. The image is on the port side, looking aft.

In the Haas/Eaton book Titanic Triumph and Tragedy, there is one photo taken in the port side promenade looking forward. Im convinced the image is Titanic, as the promanade looks clearly enclosed in the distance..

I agree with those who suggest that the Reading and Writing Room image in the Father Brown book attributed to be Titanic is in fact Olympic. They both had that same fold in the rug. Plus- I thought only Olympic had those high split windows- that continued even to the boat deck level. I though Titanic lacked that feature. Britannic clearly lacked that feature too, as displayed by photos from her boat deck .

Titanic's grand staircase has never been photographed- or rather, pictures have never been published. Each step is said to have had a blue rug of some kind, and its possible that circualar mirror had never been replaced ny the clock..

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
Ooooops I meant to be a bit more polite. Let's try again.
Thanks for including the link to the photo Scott. It's wonderful. How do you/we know this was taken aboard the Titanic? Who took the photo?

I've been out of the south waaaaay to long. I've forgotten all my manners. Sorry. (luckily I'll be moving back to the south in a few months!! I'm saved!)
-kate.

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Kate,

Nice to hear from you!

If you look at the far right of the photo, you can see the forward wall of the wheelhouse. On Titanic, this wall had a flat face while Olympic's was curved (I believe it was changed to a flat face after the sinking).

Have a nice day!

David

S

Scott R. Andrews

Correct David,

Olympic's wheelhouse front wall was curved until changed during the major refit of December, 1912. (It was also at this time that Olympic's bridge wing cabs were extended outboard, beyond the sides of the ship like those on the Titanic.) Also, prior to this change Olympic's wheelhouse extended the full width of the bridge roof, having a recessed entrance alcove on either side to shelter the entrance doors from the weather.

Kate, the identity of the ship in this picture has never been in question, this being a well-known and often-published photograph. Though I don't recall what the original source of this photo was, I'm sure Bruce will; IIRC, it was taken by one of the Southampton newspapers. However, the thing that makes this version unique from the rest is the fact that it is uncropped and shows the wheelhouse front wall.

Regards,

Scott Andrews