Titanic International Society convention in 2004

Feb 14, 2011
Who will be attending this years TI convention in CT?

Ill be there, with bells on...
I havnt been to a TIS (or any Titanic society convention) since the groovy TI cruise to Halifax in 1999 on the now sunken SS Seabreeze 1.

I had an amazing time on that cruise, and still am amazed Titanic wreck modeler and sinking forensics expert Roy Mengot is a better disco dancer than John Travolta..

I think TI might be visiting some interesting places im Mystic CT.

I'll be there with them...

here is idea for my TI friends- how about a cruise on the QM2 by 2006?

Just an idea..
reagrds

Tarn Stephanos

Jul 14, 2002
Hi Tarn,

I wasn't aware of a Titanic convention in Mystic. Do you know where I could get some information on it? Also, do you know when it will be? Thank You!

-Eric-

Apr 11, 2001
The date for the Groton-Mystic convention is April 30- May 2. The website will be going up this weekend with more details. In the works is a trip to the Nautilus Submarine Museum, Mystic Seaport to see the Smith letters and great maritime bookstore, guest lecturers on diving to the liners, an auction, and a cocktail party and Shipflicks night. Stay tuned for more details.

Jul 14, 2002
Thank You for the information!

Do you know the web address?

It seems like it will be a great weekend, full of very interesting lectures and trips.

Apr 11, 2001
At last- here's the website and email contact for the Mystic-Groton Convention for TIS. The dates, as stated above are April 30-May 2. This will be a very different type of venue from last year's Newport Gilded Age, and will feature some new dining and banquet ideas as well as great new speakers. Check the website often for more details and registration information which will be added this week. http://www.revdma2.com/Mystic2004.html

Dec 6, 2000
Ah, Groton. Memories of 2nd grade, and the old Coast Guard Training Station on Avery Point.

And polution so bad from Electric Boat, they wouldn't let us outside for recess!

Apr 11, 2001
The Ice Patrol is in the process of moving, and the training station is gone- this must have been awhile ago, Bill. Glad to say you will not need a mask to attend the convention-pollution is a thing of the past now.

Dec 6, 2000
Oh, I know the training station is gone. I was back there in '78 and it was gone then. University of Connecticut took the space over, I think.

My memories are of the mid-50s - I'm sure much has changed. My dad was an instuctor at the training station. God, that pollution was bad - you could see the particles in the air! On the good side, I did see some of the early atomic submarines being built!

Aug 19, 2003
Tarn,
I'll be there, definitely! Look forward to seeing you, it's been HOW long? I guess it must've been the cruise..... By the way, you can now register via the site Shelley set up
http://www.revdma2.com/Mystic2004.html
--just print the form and mail it!; TIS members should be getting a flier inside Voyage (I think that's right, isn't it Shel?) which is just going to the printer's. We would like to see some of you folks on here who we have never met in person. We are a fun bunch (right, Shelley and Tarn?)

Aug 19, 2003
Hi everyone,
Thought I would update folks on the Titanic Int'l Society convention in Mystic & Groton CT on April 30-May 2. Check out Shelley's Web page as she has added new info on speakers, etc., and she says that, health permitting, Lusitania survivor Barbara Anderson McDermott will be joining us again this year. She's a real sweetie, if you have not met her. Hope some of you can make it out to CT ..... here's the page:
http://www.revdma2.com/Mystic2004.html

--Mary Ann

Feb 14, 2011
Looks good Mary Ann...

But why is "The Last Voyage" listed as 'the worst ship flick ever made'?
Given the fact the Ille De France was sunk for the film, Id say it was one of the most accurate shipwreck films ever made..
regards

tarn

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Reasons why it is the worst.....?
-Tammy Marihugh.
-The fact that if you elimate most of the 'padding' footage (insert shots of people running aimlessly up and down stairs, etc) the film is only about 28 minutes long.
-Tammy Marihugh.
-The filmmakers odd choice of hiring the worlds largest floating set, partially destroying it, and then using so little of the footage onscreen.
-Tammy Marihugh.
-The dialogue which, even by "B" movie standards, was particularly poor.
-Tammy Marihugh.
-Helen Keller serving as the continuity editor.
-Tammy Marihugh.
-The final sequence, in which the cardboard wall behind Robert Stack is visibly bending and moving as he and the others run along the 'boat deck.'
-any scene in which George Sanders appears,
and, of course, Tammy Marihugh.

Feb 14, 2011
Actually, I do admit when Robert Stack's freak daughter started screaming, I wish he had hurled her down that gaping hole, into the bowels of the boiler room, as she was somewhat annoying..
Where is the Borg when you need them?
All the flaws you mention Jim are valid, but I cant help but enjoy any and all of the Ille De France footage. She was a wonderful ship...

You raise a point I had not concidered...why didnt they use more of the footage?
Interior shots of the water creeping up passageways would have been nice...
God only knows what footage ended up on the cutting room floor..
Were the interior shots (the dining room, the wheelhouse,the boiler room , the cabin) all shot on the Ille?
Or was the only real footage of the Ille her exterior?

By then, being en route to a scrap yard, I would have assumed all of her internal paneling and fittings were long gone.....
One classic special effect- the collapse of the 'Clarendon's' forward funnel, which took place at a relatively even keel...
Notice the cables that originate offscreen the pull the funnel forward? It must have been magic!

I enjoy the film as I get to look at one of my all time favorite ships, Ill De France...
"The Last Voyage" was not as bad as an Ed Wood film, but it was certianly better than the 1953 Titanic film, which played out like a bad soap opera....

The best shipwreck movies?
Here is my pick for the top five...

(1) A Night To Remember
(2) Titanic (Cameron)
(3) The Poseidon Adventure
(4)Lifeboat
(5)The Last Voyage

and the falling funnel awards for the worst shipwreck movies goes to..

(1)Raise The Titanic (1980)
(2)Titanic (1953)
(3)Goliath Awaits

Tarn Stephanos

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
-Interiors all real except for the wrecked cabin.
-All Ile De France post war Normandie relic artwork removed pre filming, hence the Japanese restaurant style murals in the lounge. However, destroyed panelling and fixtures authentic.
-Worse than an Ed Wood film. Ed Wood worked with no budget and largely amateur casts and crews and produced horrid films. Last Voyage filmed on huge bugdet with top drawer talent and achieved the same level of proficiency as Ed Wood with less excuse.

Deborah Kogan

Jan 29, 2003
Jim: I was always curious about those murals which didn't look like they belonged. Were all the murals painted specially for the movie? The children's room murals as well? Where did the original interiors go after removal?

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Don't know if the Japanese themed murals were created especially for the movie, but suspect that they were. Do not remember which murals were shown in the children's room. The whereabouts of most of the salvaged artwork, and much of the furniture, from the Normandie installed during the postwar refits of Ile de France and Liberte are known- but I have no idea of the process by which they were initially disposed. The only TRUE relics apparently destroyed during the filming were the 1927 chairs in the First Class Dining Room which somehow survived the refit and can be seen during the flooding sequence. Tammy Marihugh remained a screen presence through 1962's "Brother's Grimm" and then, sadly for film buffs retired. Watch for her in the "Death Ship" episode of The Twilight Zone.