Titanic International Society May 2002 covention

Status
Not open for further replies.

rene bergeron

Jun 16, 2001
T.I.S. is pleased to announce that the 2002 convention will held from May 3 to 5 at the Chateaux Laurier Hotel in Ottawa, Canada. The convention is a T.I.S. sponsored event but we welcome any members of any other societies, and non-members, to join us in celebrating the 90th ann. of the Titanic. Registration forms will be available in the next few months.For more information you can contacted us on the message board, or you can contacted me personally at
[email protected]

G

Gavin Murphy

R,

Wouldn't that be a nice 90th anniversary present for T scholarship if members from all societies got together for a good time, etc. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

G

rene bergeron

Jun 16, 2001
Yes Gavin it would be, and that is why T.I. is trying to break the boundaries between societies.
Let's add a new chapter in the Titanic storie and pull down the walls that seperate us, hopefully that will happen in Ottawa in May 2002. Keep looking for updates.
Thanks Rene Bergeron co-organizer 2002 convention

Aug 29, 2000
Actually TIS did a pretty good job in New York in 1990 with THS, BTS, Swedish Titanic Society and a couple of Irish Titanic Society folks there-not bad.

S

Stacie Crowther

It must be nice to afford this trip. i'd live to go but, I'd be steerage on the scheme of things.
sad.gif

S

Stacie Crowther

I was wondering if there would be a way to help get a less expensive rate for THS members. i am a member and would give my left arm to go on this trip. I so greatly hate missing out on great things like this. Maybe one day we can have a convention here in Los Angeles
happy.gif

rene bergeron

Jun 16, 2001
Hi Stacie, the convention will not be expensive, you will be looking at about $100.00 U.S. and that covers all your weekend events & registration. We have given lots of thought in trying to give a price for this convention because we want a big turnout and that is why we priced it right. Also by telling everyone now, it gives people plenty of time to put money aside, because this will be the place to be for the 90TH of the Titanic. Keep looking for updates.

Dec 12, 1999
I'm curious, do these conventions ever take place in San Francisco or Los Angeles? Both are big convention towns with Titanic connections. I'm waiting to attend one out here.

G

Gavin Murphy

S&J,

It seems to me that THS had a convention a few years ago on the Queen Mary at Long Beach in California.

G

rene bergeron

Jun 16, 2001
Hi everyone, here is some updates on the 2002 convention. One of Canada's largest Titanic/ White Star Line collections will be on display at the convention. Also the gala supper will be in a Murder Mystery style, the owner of the play says
"It's entertainment to die for". Keep looking for more updates. If you have any questions feel free to leave them on ET or e-mail me at
[email protected]
(Seating is limited)

rene bergeron

Jun 16, 2001
UPDATE:
I have got some e-mail concerning the "seating is limited" the seating is limited for the Gala Murder Mystery Titanic supper, the rest of the weekend we can accommodate as many as show up. Registration forms will be out by mid July to early august. If you want to attend,I would register as early as you can so your place can be reserved, and you won't miss out on the weekend events.Once again feel free to leave your questions on ET or e-mail me at
[email protected]
Thanks Rene Bergeron
(keep looking for updates)

rene bergeron

Jun 16, 2001
Hi Jason, registration forms will be available by the end of July, and will be posted on ET as soon as it is comes out. As far as being a THS member, this convention is open to the world and everyone is welcome. If you need more info, contacted me buy e-Mail at [email protected]
Look forward to seeing you there.
Thanks Rene

rene bergeron

Jun 16, 2001
UPDATE

Hi everyone, just a quick not to let everybody know that Phillipe Beaudry (Mr. Empress Of Ireland) has been confirmed as a guest speaker at the convention. Mr. Beaudry has the largest Empress Of Ireland collection in the world. He has been diving on the wreck for over 30 years and is one of the most knowledgeable persons on this ship. It will be a good chance to learn more about this ship and what kind of condition it is in today. Registration forms will be posted on ET by the end of July. Keep looking for updates.
Contacted me on ET or by e-mail at
[email protected]
Thanks Rene Bergeron

Dec 13, 1999
Dear Rene,

Will Mr Beaudry be raffling off some of his "souvenirs" to U S A visitors at the TI Convention or has the Canadian Government finally stepped in and insisted that the collection remains in Canada? I would have thought that such items were an important part of Canada's cultural heritage, but then this is not Titanic that we are talking about and very few people seem to make the same moral stand unless it is.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Registration forms for this event will not be posted here. Communications regarding this convention should be made directly with the organisers. Encyclopedia Titanica in not affiliated with TI and it's event. In fact Encyclopedia Titanica will be propping up the bar at the BTS convention (April 12th - 14th 2002)

G

Gavin Murphy

Hi Geoff,

If I am not mistaken Beaudry's artifacts are still here, and there appears to be a Canadian buyer for them. The gov't stepped in a year ago and blocked any sale outside the country under our cultural export provisions, subject to a Canadian buyer being found within a specified period of time. I think that buyer is the museum of the sea at Rimouski. As I understand it, Beaudry had tried for years to sell them in Canada without any takers, and it was only when he went offshore that the gov't got involved.

Is Beaudry getting the short end of the stick?

Go figure.....

G

Dec 12, 1999
Phil,

Just a clarification. Registration forms will be made available through the Titanic International Society and Rene Bergeron later this month. All ET message board members are more than welcome to register for the convention if they desire as it is not an exclusive "members only" event for the society.

Regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.