Titanic International SocietyFreehold NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>What's the story behind the "interesting times" in Rhode Island? This isn't something you see in a lot of popular history books or even textbooks.

A particularly violent strike that spread beyond the factories and into the streets:

>1 September - 22 September 1934 (United States)
A strike in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, part of a national movement to obtain a minimum wage for textile workers, resulted in the deaths of three workers. Over 420,000 workers ultimately went on strike. (wikipedia)

Violent to the extent that newspapers employed the "two front covers" approach, in which the usual front cover was Morro Castle news and the back cover was a second "front" with headlines such as "Roosevelt to Call Out the Army" and lots of photos of Woonsocket being trashed by angry mobs.

Another conspiracy angle to ponder. Among the passengers were Clemen Landsmann and his wife and daughter. Mr. Landsmann was the German Consul General to Cuba, at Matanzas. Had been in the Cuban diplomatic service since 1912. Given that the Communists were as fond of Nazis (remember, this is 1934) as they were with United Fruit and banana-republic style government (and Mr Landsmann seemed to cover both bases) his presense MIGHT have been another factor in the fire.

HOWEVER, while digging around, one of my fellow researchers found hints that Clemen Landsmann was Jewish. In which case, he and his Cuban born wife, and 12 year old daughter who only spoke Spanish were probably aboard the ship because he was being withdrawn from his position. This is an avenue we have to look into much further.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>A particularly violent strike that spread beyond the factories and into the streets:<<

Ah...okay. Now that you mention it, I think you and I may have discussed this one in private correspondance. Since a lot of my archived e-mails vanished when my old computer finally bit the dust, I forgot all about it.

>>one of my fellow researchers found hints that Clemen Landsmann was Jewish.<<

That would have gone over real well with Hitler's joyboys! I'm not sure they would have torched an entire ship to get him when it would be so much easier to make him "disappear," but I wouldn't put it past some of the other players in the game.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
His daughter, Marta was 12 in 1934. She was born in Cuba, to a Cuban mother, so it is possible that if Mr. Landsmann WAS Jewish, he might have been able to get out of Germany while it was still possible to do so by using his wife's citizenship. Jose Landsmann, (Clemen's wife) and Marta, being Cuban and half Cuban respectively, definitely could have made it back safely, but whether Mr.Landsmann could have remains to be determined.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
No sweat, Sam. Although I have no recollection of living anywhere other than New Jersey (except for school attendance), the entries on my birth certificate for "City," "County," and "State" all read "New York."

Aug 29, 2000
Aw.... well, the hotel is, true- but Saturday will be in the Liner City. So we will have that New York state of mind. People will appreciate the savings of a NJ hotel! I am looking forward to seeing the Millet murals especially.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
I am looking forward to seeing the Millet murals especially.

Where are these murals located, Shelley?

Aug 29, 2000
Hudson County (NJ) courthouse is the locale for these murals. They are both signed by Millet in 1911 and may be among the last paintings he ever did. There are also about a dozen small (2' x 3') paintings of his gracing a corridor, and the courthouse itself has an amazing story of neglect and rebirth (weeds 3' high in the central rotunda!) The staff were very excited to see us and will actually open the building up for us on Saturday and give our delegates a brief orientation. Frank's great lasting claim to fame in the art world is as a muralist. I have seen some of his portraits and landscapes but never a mural- so this is going to be exciting for me.

Aug 29, 2000
The convention site is now up for the May TIS Manhattan convention. Of course it is a work in progress and will have constant updates on speakers and features as the time draws nearer. Alan Ruffman is confirmed for a presentation Saturday night on the Unknown Child investigation The hotel for the event is in Secaucus,NJ, but only 4 miles from the Big Apple and at a very substantial savings on the hotel bill!
Convention site at www.tisconvention2008.wordpress.com

Aug 29, 2000
Roy Mengot has just confirmed as a guest speaker for the Friday night of the convention weekend.
Roy Mengot teaches systems engineering tools and process for Siemens Corporation and resides in Plano Texas. His research of the wreck at Woods Hole produced a model of the wreck that has earned national awards and is on display at the Woods Hole Visitor’s Center. Roy has contributed articles to Voyage and has given Titanic talks in St. Paul, Topeka, Dundee Scotland, the Queen Mary in Long beach, and co-authored a paper on the break-up of Titanic for the Marine Forensics Panel that was presented to the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers.

He will be discussing his theory of hull break-up after the presentation by Cmdr. Nargeolet- it promises to be an interesting evening!

Aug 29, 2000
What's new in Voyage? The new issue out in a few days contains:

It’s a CQD, Old Man Samuel W. Halpern
Auction items offer insights into Asplund family Andrew Aldridge
Debunking some details of a dark night Ioannis Georgiou
Titanic’s mysterious dragon’s blood John P. Eaton
Historic passport applications reveal information about U.S. citizens Rebecca K. Sharp
The Titanic is built of what? Wayne Kusy
‘Mr. Ocean Liner’ holds audiences spellbound Michael Poirier
A hero dies aboard Lusitania David R. Shuttle/Michael Poirier
Wilhelm Gustloff: The worst maritime disaster Claes-Göran Wetterholm
Turbinia: A pioneer in ship propulsion Gavin Murphy
TIS mourns passing of Lusitania survivor Barbara McDermott Mary Ann Whitley/Michael Poirier
Remembering Barbara: A life well-lived Michael Poirier

Regular features:
Delving into the relief funds Brian Ticehurst
Profile of a disaster: Titanic-related ships John P. Eaton
Book Looks Charles A. Haas/Tarn Stephanos
Dateline: Titanic Mary Ann Whitley
President’s column Charles A. Haas
Members’ bulletin board

Aug 29, 2000
Two Titanic International Society trustees will appear in a new Weather Channel documentary, and a third has provided significant historical assistance to the program’s producers.

TIS President Charlie Haas and Treasurer Bob Bracken are prominently featured in the hour-long production, which will premiere on Sunday, October 19 at 9 p.m. Eastern time, with additional encore presentations afterwards. TIS Historian John P. Eaton provided historical assistance to the production staff, and also was interviewed, although he does not appear in the finished program.

The documentary examines the role weather played in Titanic’s voyage, her loss and her present status on the ocean floor. Others appearing in the program include Sam Halpern, whose articles have appeared in TIS’s journal “Voyage”; Jennifer McCarty, co-author of “What Really Sank the Titanic?” and Dr. Robert Ballard.

Charlie provided much of the program’s historical context, while Bob offered several poignant passenger stories, especially that of William J. Mellors, whose narrative was a recent exclusive in “Voyage.” Bob’s New Jersey home served as a television studio for the filming, which occupied a full day in July. Jack advised the program’s producers, responding to a lengthy series of their questions.

You will note several “glitches” in the program – the usual practice of substituting film footage of other four-funneled liners for Titanic is notable – and TIS’s address is incorrect in the closing credits. Charlie noted, “Overall, it’s a good production; the relatively minor errors crept in during post-production, and we had no opportunity to review or correct them at that point.
134008.jpg

134009.jpg

Aug 29, 2000
In Voyage 65:

"It's a CQD, Old Man" - Part 2 by Sam Halpern
"Debunking the details of a dark night" - Part 2 by Ioannis Georgeiou
"Feeding the Fires: Boilers, firemen and trimmers on Titanic" by Art Braunschweiger
Convention 2008 coverage:
- Letters from Trevor Powell and Mike Poirier
- 8-page color essay of convention photos
"Quest for Flegenheim data continues" - More information about Antoinette Flegenheim(er) by Gerhard Schmidt-Grillmeier of the German Titanic Society
"Children's U.S. stay ends in joyous reunion" - The story of the Navratil children's reunion with their mother as told by The New York Times, complete with some rare photographs.
"Fairfield honors George Tulloch" by Charlie Haas - The city of Fairfield, CT honors George Tulloch, former CEO of RMS Titanic, Inc., with the dedication of a room to his memory.
"Weather archive rules out mystery ship candidates" by Susanne Störmer - What ship did Titanic see on the horizon? A German meteorological service brings us one step closer to the truth.
"Titanic link revealed on the links" by Cindy Tulloch - A chance meeting on the golf course reveals a Titanic connection.
"Wreck diver tells of undersea exploits" by Mike Poirier - An interview with John Chatterton.

134073.jpg

Aug 29, 2000
The new issue of Voyage has just been mailed out with some great articles and the debut of the Liners at War series.
135786.jpg

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Hi Michael-

There is so much new material relating to 'Liners at War' that it will span a few issues.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.