Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Nobody does it like our Mon! I hope this review (which is more entertaining than the show itself so far) will run on and on to encompass further episodes.

Hazel Gaynor

May 19, 2011
Ireland
Really enjoyed this review - sums up how I felt about the programme pretty much perfectly! Having just published my novel about Titanic, I am pretty much obsessed with the event at the moment and assumed I would be gripped by this new production, but I was a bit disappointed. I thought there were too many characters (even in the first episode) and everything moved on too quickly for me to really care about them. Will give it another chance on Sunday - and look forward to the next installment of the review. :)

Seatravel

Nov 2, 2011
Liverpool
I am just watching it now as missed it last weekend- thought it didn't start til April and I don't really watch tv and the house tv has no advance tv listing on it)- I am more a you tuber!
Got flash updated on my laptop as iplayer had updated and my system hadn't! Yes, many people trying to work out who they all are, I like it so far. That's great you published your novel Hazel- what is it called?

angeline2011

Mar 29, 2012
Liverpool
i felt the first episode seems a little 'complicated'...well at least for my little brain! too many charachters all at once.

tonight's episode looks good though...a bit of forbidden romance maybe?

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
The Guardian writes:

downton-abbey-titanic.jpgdownton-abbey-titanic2.jpgdownton-abbey-titanic3.jpgdownton-abbey-titanic4.jpg

Julian Fellowes's Titanic (ITV, Sunday) might be historically more accurate than James Cameron's blockbuster movie, but it's also an awful lot drearier. It's extraordinary how dull he has made such a momentous event.

There are several things wrong with it. Starting again at the beginning in each episode and following a different set of characters (with some overlapping) means you don't really get to know anyone, or care very much what happens to them. It also takes away any sense of progression or expectation from one episode to the next. There is a smallness, an unintentional claustrophobia about the whole thing. Sometimes the dialogue is clunky — especially when portents to what's going to happen are shoe-horned in there. "We'll never need lifeboats for every passenger," says a man in the offices of the White Star line. Hmm, wonder if those are words that will come back to haunt …
My biggest problem with it is that it's not just preoccupied with class, it's obsessed. To the point that nothing else matters at all. Every single scene, every event, every utterance has something to do with social standing. I'm not saying class isn't interesting, I'm just saying it's not the only interesting thing. This feels like being bashed over the head again and again with a Debrett's guide to etiquette. And then being thrown into the sea. Four times.

downton-abbey-titanic.jpg

downton-abbey-titanic2.jpg

downton-abbey-titanic3.jpg

downton-abbey-titanic4.jpg

Jake Peterson

Mar 11, 2012
Iowa, USA
HOLY CRAP!, that was a horrible movie!

OK, I am aware of plot devices, and I don't mind any of them....as long as they do it right. This appears to be the "Grabber-lead" plot device, that is, we'll get your attention with plot-point C, go to A, B, through C, on to the rest of the story. Problem is, I was so bored with it, and every time they came back to where they started in the movie, since each of the three shown episodes seem to intertwine, I was like, "Oh, yeah! Forgot about that part!" I was totally lost in the plot and couldn't follow some of them.

Not only that, we didn't even get to see the lookouts spot the iceberg (perhaps in the 4th part...?) We saw Moody answering the phone, and the chain of commands, and the second time, we saw one of our 80+ passenger cast members look up in awe as the ship scraped the iceberg.

I know we complain about the inaccuracies of Cameron's Titanic, but geez, this movie makes that one look like "Ten Commandments"

Feb 9, 2008
ANYWHERE-BUT-HERE
This a the review I wrote rather hurriedly on the Amazon website after watching the final episode, it was as I say written in haste and perhaps may not be as historically accurate as I should have been, however it seems that 12 out of 14 liked it so I will post it on here. I truely was extremely disappointed with this mini-series, and as I say at the close it ranks alongside GC Scott/Zeta Jones mini-series and SOS Titanic, Titanic 2 which was shown over the past weekend is hardly worthy of acknowledgement! I also may have been hasty in having a crack at 'Chiefy', he quite possibly would have been on the plates regularly being as it was Titanic's maiden voyage, though I still feel he would hardly have known who the crew were let alone engage them in conversation, and as regards having a normal conversation, no chance, unless those big up-and downers were extremely quiet! We only ever saw 'Chiefy' down below when the 'job' had gone belly up, and some we would sooner not see down below even if the 'job' had gone belly up, I was taught that the reason some got to be Chief was to get the buggers out of the Engine Room! When I was first trip 'fiver' we had a 'twiddler' for a Chief, always creeping about fiddling and twiddling, my job as designated by my 3/E I was on watch with, 'follow the SOB, make sure he don't touch nothing, if he does put it back to where it was or come and tell me!' Secret Squirreling on my Chief, my leader? He promoted me 4th next trip! No doubt you learned people will correct the ravings of an old man, but be gentle.

'Now I like Julian Fellowes and most of his work, Downton Abbey and Gosford Park were not my cup of tea, though I really enjoyed his two series of Julian Fellowes Investigates, especially as the very first episode took place close where I live. I enjoyed his cameos as the Prince of Wales in the Sharpe episodes.
However, this cannot be construed as his best work by any stretch of anyones imagination, the only way that this could be enjoyed is if you had lived your whole life in a cave and the this was your first televisual experience!
This was disappointing for me for a number of reasons. I pride myself on knowing a little about Titanic and have conversed with people who could almost be classed as authorities on the subject, this mini-series did nothing to further my, or anyones knowledge with even the most rudimentary knowledge of Titanic. Though I have learned one thing from the deluge of Titanic stuff engulfing us at the moment, and that wasn't from this programme, and that was the fact that those fished from the Atlantic after the Titanic went down were even in death still divided by class! The first class passengers went into coffins, the third class into canvas bags! The dead crew and third class were buried at sea because the White Star line saw no profit in transporting their worthless bodies! A little simplistic perhaps but the White Star Line do not come out of this smelling of roses, quite the opposite in fact, and it was very brown and very smelly, much like this offering from Mr Fellowes who now has some high falluting name and title that I cannot recall, I even forgive him for appearing to be a stuck-up pompous oaf, a 'lovie' of the first order, but I cannot forgive him for this, dare I say it? Tripe?
The programme jumped all over the gaff, so much so my poor aged bonce was spinning, several references were made as to the class system aboard with Celia Imrie playing her part so well any well meaning person had the right to strangle her for me! Having served as an Engineer Officer aboard steam ships, though some 60 years after the Titanic met her fate, it was fairly unbelievable that the Engineers could speak to each other with out raising voices, cos believe you me steam ships are hot and very noisy, most communiction was done ear to mouth or sign language, halitosis was frowned upon as were the garlic munchers! I doubt the Chief Engineer would converse with members of the crew, I doubt he would even know who they were and what they did, save for the 'Blackgang', and I bet he didn't have much contact with them, the really good C/E's I sailed with we never saw down the Engine Room, let alone in full uniform and a waistcoat, he'd have boiled alive.
I didn't expect this to be perfect, all the Titanic movies and mini-series have flaws, some are laughable like the George C Scott/Zeta Jones mini-series which should have won an Emmy for best Comedy! This offering has too many flaws and inaccuricies for my liking hence the single star, well I had to give this something, a dreadful let down, most disappointing.'

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I see that the latest edition of A Night to Remember is listed on Amazon as being written by 'Julian Fellowes, Brian Lavery and Walter Lord'. Now play the game, Your Lordship! Let's give credit where due, and at the very least restore poor Walter to top billing.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Have you read the prologue by Fellowes? "Astonishing replicas" of the boat deck? So astonishing they showed three boat stations rather than four?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Shortage of sets not intended, Paul, they just didn't get them all finished on time. Hardly surprising, with militants like Peter the Painter on the job.

Francowriter

May 14, 2012
Dundalk, Co. Louth Ireland
That Titanic Miniseries will suffer a deserved fate - and sink without a trace. The script was poor, almost childish at times, and the repetitive format was lazy and cheap. The charactors were very stereotypical stereotypes. These are the kindest words I can muster, I'm afraid.

Anne N.

Apr 15, 2012
One problem was that if the average viewer has no idea of Irish-English tensions of the early 20th century, then the fighting between Lady Manton and Mrs. Battley doesn't make sense.

Hey, it's Titanic stuff, so I watched it, but the jumping around and the cliffhangers got to be too distracting. As someone else said, you can't get to know anyone. It might have been better to go straight through and explain some of the backstory.