Titanic Licensing and Copyrights

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Hi, everyone. I run the embroideries department at a company that specializes in family name histories and coats of arms. Yesterday my boss told me the company is interested in expanding the embroidery dept. and asked me to find out about licensing and copyrights pertaining to the RMS Titanic and White Star Line names, whether it would be possible for us to digitize emblems to put on shirts, towels, ball caps, tote bags, etc. Anyone out there know the answer, or who to contact? And do you think there would be any large interest in these products? You can see what we do at www.names.com to get a picture of what items we want to sell.

All the best,
Kyrila

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, Kyrila---

A couple of years ago, when a group of us was planning a New York get-together, one of our number contacted Cunard's legal department about using Titanic/White Star. Cunard's position at the time was that they still hold the exclusive right to the use of the name "White Star Line" and of the White Star burgee, but that they claimed no such rights with respect to the name "Titanic" or to representations of the ship. Look at the message by Susan Markowitz in this thread.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Beats me, Kyrila. I'm not a trademark/copyright expert, and am making no pretense at being one; I'm just recounting what I remember from two years ago.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Kyrila, for whatever it may be worth, this sounds like a good time to make the company attorney's earn their retainer and research the matter.
wink.gif