Titanic & Lloyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Mauro,
Write in Spanish, Myself or Mark can translate...it's easier for everyone.
All Ahead Full!
Shane N. Worthy

Mauro Zungri

Jan 11, 2002
Hola Shane:
Mi pregunta era que paso luego del naufragio; es decir se que algunos pasejeros realizaron reclamos quienes fueron?, hay forma de saverlo?, que paso con al compania aseguradora del Titanic?
gracias!!!!!

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
Old thread, but according to Mauro's profile he's still checking in on the site so I'll give a rough translation for anyone who'd care to answer:

"My question was what happened after the shipwreck; I am trying find out if any passengers made claims and who they were? Is there any way of knowing? What happened to the company that insured the Titanic?"

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Lloyd's came to no harm. The one million pounds that were paid out were spread over dozens of companies and wealthy individuals. The biggest individual loss seems to have been about seventy-five thousand pounds. Some wild rumours were put about at the time. At least one company issued a public statement to reassure shareholders that it was not ruined by claims.

Some passengers would have claimed on travel insurance and other policies, but they were spread over many companies.

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
Dave--

Did Lloyd's also provide "liability" insurance for any passenger claims arising out of the loss of the ship? My understanding was that they only covered the value of the ship itself?

--Jim

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
Thanks for straightening me out on that, Michael. I'd assumed that they were at least a minor insurer . . . would you happen to know of a website or published book that deals with how the Titanic was insured?

Thanks--

--Jim

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The only sources I've seen dealing with insurance were the final reports of the inquiries, specifically the U.S. Senate report and something I saw in Titanic Triumph and Tragedy. The former didn't name the underwriters but did mention that part of the risk was carried by White Star's own in house insurance fund.

Somebody here may have something more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.