Titanic Locations Land scenes at start of movie

May 3, 2005
The Lynch-Marschall commentary on ANTR mentions that the Engine Room scenes were filmed at the Cripplewood Pumping Station and the lifeboat scenes at a reservoir.

It would be interesting to locate some of the other scenes such as.:
1.The estate of the wealthy couple "Sir Richard and Her Ladyship."
2.The church of the newlyweds.
3.The church of the Irish immigrants.
...and any others of note.
(I have recently acquired the CD-ROM "Microsoft Auto Route 2007" and have been "exploring" around the UK.)

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Robert,

I take it that you've got the DVD of ANTR with 'The making of ANTR' on the back? The film was made at Pinewood Studios just a few miles from where I live. Some of the scenes of men in the water were taken in Ruislip Lido, West London.

The commentary was by William MacQuitty and featured an interview with Walter Lord. A must for all Titanic enthuisiasts.

Never heard of Cripplewood pumping station? It should be Cricklewood pumping station and was still in use in Sept 2006?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Sir Richard's stately home was the c16th Great Fosters Hotel in Egham, Surrey, which is still in business. As for the rest, it's unlikely that any of those locations (including the 'Irish' village) are very far from Pinewood. So, Ernie, you're our man on the spot. On yer bike, son, and start pedalling. Report back when you've pinned them all down. :)

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
The scenes were not all done on the doorstep - It's a long way to Glasgow, Bob, where the boat-lowering shots were taken on the River Clyde. I don't think I would have enough puff to go on my pennyfarthing.

I will try and locate the Church; I'll ask my wife, she was a churchgoer - until she met me that is.....
smile.gif

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi All,

Pinewood Studios contains a great deal of the Mauretania including the two paintings from the Smoking Room, the vaulted ceiling, a somewhat altered Reading and Writing Room (no longer the original silver-grey and sans dome which is in Bristol) and several other things such as a section of flooring apparently from the "Sun Deck" and fourteen of the original sixteen pilasters from the First Class Lounge, carved from lilac "Fleur de Pêcher" French marble.

Best,
Eric

May 3, 2005
Ernie-

Thanks to you and all the other Titaniacs for the info...I stand corrected....It is CRICKLEWOOD and not CRIPPLEWOOD.

Respectfully submitted,
Robert