Titanic LP recording

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jerry Robichaud

Recently, at a yard sale, I bought a pile of LP records. One is a recording by some of the survivors, about the sinking. It is call, "Titanic, The Unforgetable Story As Told By Survivors of This Most Incredible Marine Disaster". At the bottom of the front cover is, "The complete original award winning C.B.C. broadcast." It's a gatefold cover that opens to 13 b/w photos. One photo is of survivor Edith Russell on the set of A Night To Remember. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but it should be interesting.

Has anyone else seen this record around before? Any value to it?

J

Jerry Robichaud

Sorry, can't make a copy because of copyright laws.

Jun 12, 2004
Yes, I am aware of that, and I wasn't asking for a anyone to make a copy. I was just curious as to whether or not there were more available or if it was hard-to-find. Thanks, though.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Jerry I own several copyrights, and you are allowed to copy the album to more modern media (cassette tape or CD/DVD) for your own personal use to preserve the quality of the original media. There are also some clauses about making recordings of items where the copyright is expired or material out of print. You might want to look into it. If the copyright is expired on this recording, you might be able to copyright it yourself for distribution. Or you could simply transcribe the testimonies on paper to post in our archives here if there is any new information that could be of historical importance.

Kyrila

May 1, 2004
I don't know if the international copyright laws cover copying spoken word recordings. I think the policy is to respect the law of the country of origin. [C.B.C. is the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and they can be sticky.] Their web site is www.cbc.ca

D

David Haisman

A 45 minute audio CD will be released shortly which will contain a reading by my sister and I on our mother's abandoning ship.
Throughout the text, our mother's voice will be heard many times relating to her experiences leading up to, and on abandoning Titanic and later, whilst in Lifeboat 14.
For anyone interested on this or the TV documentary being released later this year, they can e-mail me privately.

Sincerely,

David Haisman

J

Jerry Robichaud

I found mention of the album on this site. On the homepage, enter Edward C. Burks in the search box. A page listing several links will appear. The first goes to a 1973 NY Times story. The 5th paragraph from the bottom mentions the recording. No photo.

J

Jerry Robichaud

Evidently the C.B.C. interviewed survivors during the filming of "A Night To Remember."

This album was made in 1973 by The Vantage Recording Company of Pottstown, PA. I can find no current information about the company.

The cover states, "Produced especially for the Titanic Enthusiasts of America's International Convention." Haven't yet found information about that group either.

C

Christina Rindt

Mr Haisman, will you please supply your e-mail address with regards the audio tape?
Thank you
Christina

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Christina, if you click onto David Haisman's name, you can find a link to send a private message to him. I definitely would like a copy of the recording and documentary.

Kyrila

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
"The cover states, "Produced especially for the Titanic Enthusiasts of America's International Convention." Haven't yet found information about that group either."

That group changed it's name thirty years ago to the Titanic Historical Society. Click HERE for their website.

Jan 16, 2002
San Jose, California
I bought a copy of this LP from THS in the 70's when I was a teen. It contains the recorded memories of Edith Russell, Charles Lightoller and several other TITANIC survivors. Miss Russell tells of her impressions on boarding the ship, "a monster," she called it, because of its tremendous size and luxuriousness. Fascinating stuff!
While some of these recordings may appear on other recorded TITANIC records or tapes, I have never heard any of them before. It has been a long time since I have listened to it, but it is a vivid telling of the TITANIC disaster, and is one of my prized possessions in my collection. Hopefully it will one day be made available again for others to hear.
I have seen it appear on Ebay, but not all that often.

Jun 11, 2000
I'm creating a new folder in General Titanica called 'Oral History' as there is a bit of this about, and will move this thread there.

Status
Not open for further replies.