Titanic Made in Belfast 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone planning on heading to Belfast in April. There's so much going on over the week and Belfast is a great place. I felt safer there than I did in Glasgow.

If you are heading to BTS in April, a stop over in Belfast on your way to or from Southampton is a very worthwhile. You'll be able to see how Ireland compares to England! (says a Scotsman, lol)

A full programme of events is at:
http://www.titanicmadeinbelfast.com/index.html When I was last there in 2002, Eaton and Haas were there as was Dan Butler, not to mention countless people with very interesting tales to tell about Titanic's building. There was a bus tour, a boat tour and a dinner too in the City Hall: 'The Stone Titanic'

Stuart

A point of interest is that in 2002 I met two guys in Belfast who had interesting life stories. One was from Iraq and the other was from Zimbabwe.

The Iraqi was working a costume hire shop in the City Centre and told me he had applied to stay in Northern Ireland on completing his University degree. He said Belfast was much nicer and safer than Saddam Hussein's Iraq and he said he would only go return to his homeland when Hussein was gone. However, I have a sneeking suspicion he will probably still be in his adopted home which he said looks over the test track for the former Delorean car factory. Did you know the car that took Marty McFly to 1955 and then Back to the Future was made in Northern Ireland?

The Zimbabwean guy I met was in Northern Ireland as his parents were white farmers and had had their farm destroyed by Robert Mugabe's troops the previous summer. He was doing pretty well for himself, running an internet cafe down by Queen's University. Like the Iraqi guy, he said he thought Northern Ireland was a very friendly and peaceful place.

As for myself, being brought up in the West of Scotland I found it safer than Glasgow as there were no drug addicts out in the street asking for money and you saw the police (not soldiers) nearly everywhere you went: albeit that they carried guns and sometimes were driving around in the old bomb-proof Land Rovers from the Troubles.

It's a place I'd recommend to anyone, not just people who are into Titanic and ocean liners.

Check out these links:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3055070.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3456845.stm

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Stuart,

I'll be in Belfast on 16th April

Philippe

Hi Phillipe,

I'll only be there untill easter Sunday as I've got work commitments, sorry to miss you. What will u be up to when you are there?

Stuart

A

Alex McLean

Philippe, í§a va?
When do you leave for Belfast? We still need to catch up sometime, my shout for a beer (I love the Rodenbach avec Grenadine, a lot of the other exchange students agree.) When is Nomadic heading over there, too?
My best, SMS me about a meeting sometime,
happy.gif

Alex

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Stuart,

In fact, I'll be in Ireland for 3 days. I arrive in Dublin on 15th April and will make the trip to Belfast on 16th. I will visit City Hall Exhibitions and then I'll meet Kathleen Neill of Belfast industrial Heritage. Hopefully, we'll see the slipways, Old Administration Buildings, the Thompson Graving Dock and the Pump House. I will be go back to Belgium on 17th April with a lot of souvenirs ...

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Harland & Wollf slipways 2 and 3 ... and some visitors (my wife and myself):

86350.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.