Titanic Made in Belfast 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm once again making it over to Belfast, birthplace of Titanic this year. The event, which runs 26 March to 2 April, is not so much a convention as a week long celebration of all things Titanic with talks and tours of places associated with the 'big ship from Belfast' including the Queen's Island section of the Harland & Wolff shipyard where you can see the slipway where Titanic was built, the City Hall (the 'Stone Titanic'), Thomas Andrew's house and many more. There is an extensive exhibition of rare artefacts in the City Hall which is regularly attended by 98 year old John Parkinson whose father worked on the ship and saw the Titanic the day she departed Belfast Lough never to return.

The Belfast Titanic Society has a full programme of events on its website.
http://www.belfast-titanic.com/
Having gone to the event three times before, I cannot recommend it enough. For anyone with the slightest interest of getting an appreciation of what Titanic was really like, the best place to go is without doubt the city where she was built. It is a relatively inexpensive place to go with cheap flights courtesy of Easyjet and I think the local people are among the friendliest I've ever met. Any negative ideas you may have about Northern Ireland I would strongly urge you to put aside: being there is something else!

Hi Stuart et al,
Glenn Reimer/Partisan Pictures here. I was the Co-Producer of the two recent TV specials on Titanic made in conjunction with Dr. Ballard and National Geographic Channel. I will be speaking as part of T-MIB on Wed. March 30 at City Hall in regards to my experiences at sea making and broadcasting a show LIVE in the middle of the capricious North Atlantic. I am arriving in Ireland on the 28th and will be there all week to take in the history of Titanic/Olympic/Britannic and cannot wait to see what Belfast has to show me. Not yet sure where I am staying but hope that you can come by to see my presentation including a special 12-minute tour of the wreck that we made for the DVD. Have you decided which days you will be taking the various tours that week? Anyone attending is welcome to write me off-board re: raising a pint or playing tourist in Belfast.
Cheers,
Glenn

Just to make Belfast more like "Titanic Town" than it already is, a local artist is proposing to tow an iceberg from Norway to Northern Ireland as a symbol of the ship local historians describe as the most famous since Noah's Ark. I was thinking they would have difficulty getting it right up Belfast Lough and into the mouth of the Lagan and anyway, it would be an obstruction to the ship traffic using the ports. More details thus:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4287239.stm

Hello Stuart and Glenn,

Glad to hear that both of you are coming over. Stuart, comes from Glasgow and really there isn't much difference between Glasgow and Belfast people. I know you Glenn through Denise Vanaria in Florida and I am looking forward to meeting with you. You will get the special tour from me, Comber, where Thomas Andrews came from (and my Grandfather).

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Jim

I'd say Belfast people are friendlier than Weegies, at least to outsiders. I don't live in Glasgow anymore but I did when I went to Belfast in 2001 and 2002.

This year, I'll be in Belfast 31 March to 4 April and will be bringing a non-Titanic friend from New York with me who loves all things Irish. I'm looking forward to the crac!

I'm a bit surprised there's apparently not much interest on this board about a week-long Titanic celebration in the place where Titanic was built. There's so many lectures (by historians such as Eaton and Haas, Stephen Cameron and Daniel Allen Butler), tours and museums as well as an exhibition, you would think more people would be interested. I'm sure the events in London and the mid west of America are great but people seem to over-looking a place that should be regarded as a Titanic and ocean-liner enthusiast's Mecca.

There's so much said about the Southampton convention. When I last went in 2003, the event was entirely confined to a hotel built in 1990 on the outskirts of the city. A few people commented it may as well have been held anywhere as there was no formal organised tour of the docks or any other Titanic related site. It was very expensive too. After spending nearly £300 on the weekend, all I'd seen was 4 lectures, a small exhibition, an auction and a presentation ceremony. The best thing about it was meeting new people, many of whom also contribute to this board. Hi to all of you if you are reading this!

The events in Belfast as so much more varied and you are spoilt for choice as to what to do or see. There are about 30 different events on during the week at venues like the City Hall, (built by the men who built Titanic), the Odyssey complex(right next to the shipyard where Titanic was built) and the Ultser Folk and tranport Museum (which has the largest collection of original photos of the Titanic anywhere and a mind boggling Titanic exhibit, this year they are putting on an Edwardian era steam train from Belfast out to the Museum in County Down.) Here is a direct link to the brouchure of events:

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/events/press/TITANIC Whabout 8pp Sect.pdf

Stu

HI STU, I will be staying at the Europa Hotel from Monday thru' Thursday evenings; Friday we head to Dublin to play tourist i.e. tour Guinness/Jameson's and see the sights there before we catch a plane home on Sunday. I will be speaking at City Hall at 1PM on Wednesday so you'll miss that presentation, sadly. Please give a ring at the hotel on the 31st and let's see if we can catch up for a drink that night before/after the screening of the new TITANIC: Birth of a Dream documentary screening the City is showing.

Cheers and crac indeed,

Status
Not open for further replies.