Titanic Made in Belfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2008
I was wondering, the picture at 3:50 showing steerage passengers, is that from the Titanic (or Olympic), it does not seem to be from any of them. For example look at the two lifeboats next to eachother.

Jul 31, 2008
Yes, I thought I knew enough about the Titanic to see, that that photo is not from neither Titanic nor Olympic. Some of the other photos are probably from the Olympic, but great photos.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
>>Hello Peter,

It's neither ship. Those are the survivors on the Carpathia.<<

If you are speaking about this video at 3:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEYcBLItR98&feature=player_embedded
it is not. It is one of those Father Brown photos which have been many times wrong credited to be Titanic. It is not Olympic, Titanic and also not Titanic survivors on Carpathia. (She did not have even the type of lifeboat you are seeing in the picture.)

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hmmm....I think there is some confusion here.

quote:

It is one of those Father Brown photos which have been many times wrong credited to be Titanic.

Really? First I've heard of this, since in this thread the couple are possibly identified as Richard Smith and Mrs. Emily Nichols on A Deck. Emily Nichols disembarked at Queenstown, while Richard stayed on board to head to New York.

I assumed that Peter was asking about the image that appears immediately after. But, if that's not the survivors on board the Carpathia, then I have no idea which ship that is. True, the lifeboat looks a lot different than the ones that were on board the ship, including Titanic's. I was in a rush when I posted my earlier message and did not notice it at first.​

Oct 14, 2009
Yes, if those aren't survivors aboard the Carpathia, I can't identify the ship either. I'm not sure Carpathia had any lifeboats that looked like the cutter on the outboard--I could be wrong.

I enjoyed the video--some of those photos that show the building and transporting of the funnels I hadn't seen before!

Some of the earlier shots of course show Titanic fitting out before they enclosed her forward promenade on A Deck; makes her pretty tough to distinguish from Olympic.

Jul 31, 2008
Jason, yes I was talking about the image immediately after the one with a man and a woman standing on the aft part of the promenade deck, the image that appears at 3:50. If that is survivors on Carpathia, then the image is chronological misplaced, isn't it. The rest of the images seem to be in chronological order.
Or are they a mix of Titanic leaving Belfast and Southampton?
I am not sure if the particular image in question is Carpathia or not, but I am sure it is neither Titanic nor Olympic.
Anyway, great video. I particularly like the shot at 4:32, I had not seen that before, is that Southampton or Belfast?

Jul 31, 2008
But many of the images of the sinking are from the movie A night to remember. I highly doubt anybody took photographs during the sinking.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
>>Really? First I've heard of this, since in this thread the couple are possibly identified as Richard Smith and Mrs. Emily Nichols on A Deck. Emily Nichols disembarked at Queenstown, while Richard stayed on board to head to New York.

I assumed that Peter was asking about the image that appears immediately after. But, if that's not the survivors on board the Carpathia, then I have no idea which ship that is. True, the lifeboat looks a lot different than the ones that were on board the ship, including Titanic's. I was in a rush when I posted my earlier message and did not notice it at first.<<

It was about this image and as I said earlier it is also a photograph taken by Father Browne. He took many photos aboard ships which stopped at Queenstown. If I remember right he got on board with one of the tenders as he knew the captain of them.
I maybe was a bit to quick by stating that it was credited wrong many times, as I saw it only in two books.

Jul 31, 2008
Thanks for the answers.

As far as the image in question go, the image at 3:50 in the video linked to by Jason, you all agree that it is an unknown vessel that Father Brown visited or sailed on?

Jason, my other questions are not that important. There is at least one image that I have seen in a book. The book stated that it was Titanic leaving Belfast. The image at 4:05. I think there are images from both Belfast and Southampton.
Many of the images from the ship yard are also in books, not the ones of a funnel being transported though.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

you all agree that it is an unknown vessel that Father Brown visited or sailed on?

I'm in agreement.

quote:

I think there are images from both Belfast and Southampton.

Yes, Peter, you are correct. For what it's worth, a majority of those images are in chronological order, however their are some that are not.

quote:

not the ones of a funnel being transported though.

If I recall correctly, those images are shown in the book Titanic And Her Sisters: Olympic & Britannic.

quote:

I particularly like the shot at 4:32, I had not seen that before, is that Southampton or Belfast?

That is Southampton.​

Jul 31, 2008
Thanks Jason.
The book you mentioned I have not seen, but the image where the funnel is coming out of a building, I have seen. It is in one of Dr. Ballard's books.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
You're welcome, Peter.

It's been discussed in other threads, but Titanic And Her Sisters: Olympic & Britannic was horrible on text, but terrific on photographs.

quote:

but the image where the funnel is coming out of a building, I have seen. It is in one of Dr. Ballard's books.

Now that I think of it, you're right. It's been a while since I've looked at any of my Titanic books.​

Status
Not open for further replies.