Titanic materials

JESTERRRRRR

Apr 15, 2017
Hi, could anyone help me by telling me what sort of materials would be used in the following images?

The first I think is the set from the movie. I put some red around some of the bits - not all since there is loads of it.

VDElZUT.png

I see the metal hull, but these look different in every model/photo I see, what would they have been made from? I'm assuming its the same material they use for all the little "buildings" that stick up from the deck.

Second is from the "Honor and Glory" game, third class dining. I'm interested in the floor.

titanic_honor_and_glory_by_usmovers02-d8osqgb.jpg

To me it just looks like some sort of plastic vinyl which I know it can't be. If it's just straight up wrong since it's in a game fair enough, but I'm wondering what that is supposed to be?

Thanks for reading

Reactions: 1 user

JESTERRRRRR

Apr 15, 2017
Well, I figured I'd update this with what I found.

Unsuprisingly the first would appear to just be painted steel used as with the hull. In all the media I've seen it appears much smoother, perhaps just a different finish. I'm basing this off the fact that in the film there is a transition scene from "past unsunk" to "present sunk" and one of these areas changes to rusted metal.

As for the second, renders created showing what Clive Palmer's 'Titanic II' would look like (if it ever happens) show the same room with a wooden pattern floor (could still be linoleum I guess). I put more faith in the research done by the guys making this game (it's incredibly extensive) so based on it's look I'm thinking linoleum, although I think that's usually tiled which isn't the case here. Not sure.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>As for the second, renders created showing what Clive Palmer's 'Titanic II' would look like (if it ever happens)<<

It won't. They finally admitted defeat this year after years of saying "It's coming" without a bid even being solicited.

As to the materials, are you talking about what the ship itself was built of? That would be what was known as "Battleship Steel" at the time with the hull plating averaging one inch thick. The superstructure would also have been made of steel but not as thick.

Dec 22, 2017
Hi, could anyone help me by telling me what sort of materials would be used in the following images?

The first I think is the set from the

Second is from the "Honor and Glory" game, third class dining. I'm interested in the floor.

View attachment 38592

To me it just looks like some sort of plastic vinyl which I know it can't be. If it's just straight up wrong since it's in a game fair enough, but I'm wondering what that is supposed to be?

The third class floor is actually correct, its not a plastic or linoleum, its actually portland cement, two layers were layed through out the decks in areas were there woulf be no finishing work done, ie. Some crew areas and third class areas, it would have been layed in two layers the first being white incolored and the second being red. This was used as an insulation and to give the deck a level finish so finishing tile or wood could be layed down. In this image you can actually see that flooring.

df6a8517f870c845039b49f6f663c15b.jpg

Concerning the areas highlighted in your first photo, in the movie this would have simply been plywood sealed and textured for the appearance of metal, less expensive then using actual metal. On the real ship this would have been steel though not the full inch thick stuff the hull was built from, if memory serves right i beleive its only half inch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user