Titanic medals on eBay

dennis yates

Dec 28, 2004
I noticed a set of medals associated with Titanic for sale on eBay Item number: 6501466610 which I am interested in buying, does anyone know anything about them?

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Dennis,

I may be able to help you on the medals for Captain Steel illustrated on eBay. The first two are the RNR Decoration and the Transport medal, the same as awarded to Capt.Edward J Smith. You will note recent posts on this subject under 'crewe research'.

The RD is for long service in the Royal Navy Reserve. The Transport medal is for the efficient troopship runs to the Boer War and Boxer rebellion and was issued to officers only. (white star provided three ships, the Majestic, Britannic and Cymric). This medal was only issued for these campaigns and has a certain rarity value.

The third medal displayed on eBay is the 'East and West Africa Medal' with the campaign clasp 'Benin 1897'.

The RNR medal appears to have had a replacement ribbon of the type brought into use in 1941. This can easily be replaced with the all green ribbon of the period. These medals as a group are probably worth in the order of £ 1000 to £1500. However, the Titanic connection will no doubt considerable increase the demand and thus the price which I suspect will reach five figures in English pound's. Hope you have a deep pocket.

Regards Ernie

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
I see the bids have reached four figures with 5 days to go.

I note in response to a question, that only the East and West Africa medal is named i.e. has the name of the recipient engraved? This is followed by the statement that it was usual for the others to be issued un-named.

If I was a prospective purchaser this would worry me because whilst I have been told by good authority that the RD was issued un-named, the Transport Medal should be engraved with the recipients name. This is confirmed in the documentation when the medal was first instigated and I know of numerous instances - medals in a collection - where they are indeed named.

This medal was also presented by the King (information not provided by the vendor). Presented without being engraved? Mmmmmmmm

There could be genuine reasons why this particular medal was un-named - a few un-genuine ones as well.

Ernie

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
I see the vendor of the medals on eBay has recently come back with another statement saying the Transport medal is engraved with the name of the recipient 'B. Steel'. Good!! Exactly how it would have been engraved.

Ernie

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Can't bid on this unfortunately as I've got other projects on the moment - I believe these are the medals that were auctioned off not too long ago? Around mid-last year? Thanks for the update, Ernie.