Titanic memorabilia from your own personal collection

Dec 13, 2006
I have full newspapers dated 4-15-1912 from Boston and New York that depict the sinking of the Titanic. They were given to me by my Grandfather nearly 10 years ago. For 80+ years, that sat in a vault in Montana...never touched...never saw the light of day. A partner of mine went out and purchased special air-tight, UV-ray protected frames for displaying them. Currently they adorn the walls of my dinning room. Last year, I had them appraised and was given a figure of $780,000 for being in the same condition that they were in back in 1912 and the unlikelyhood of something that fragile to be in that condition nearly 100 years later. I don't have a digital camera to take a picture of them yet, but when I do I will put them on the site for everyone to see. Does anyone else have any personal items from a private collection they want to share?

Steve Santini

Nov 29, 2000
Hello

Pardon me for saying so, but as actual items from the Titanic herself such as deck chairs, carved wooden rails and other floating debris that was recovered, as well as menus from the vessel and letters written on board have never sold for near the ammount your newspapers were "appraised for" I should probably point out that whoever appraised your newspapers was sorely uneducated as far as Titanic related collectibles go.

Back in the "Cameron movie hype days" when many Titanic related newspapers from 1912 were showing up on Ebay the highest I can ever remember a remarkable example of a particular New York paper commanding was a tad over $1000.00 USD.

It is nice you have these and great you have tried to preserve them and keep them in the family but they are worth nowhere near the appraisal figure you were given.

If you have them insured, you may want to reevaluate the insurance on them.

Steve Santini

Mar 15, 2001
You should sell them to the person that appraised them.

[Moderator's note: This post and the two above it, were in a separate topic, but have been moved to here. JDT]