Titanic Memorial Cruise April 15 2012

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
[sup]"I can partly agree with you on this - some of the most amusing things I've seen at Titanic conventions are the hangers-on - the folks who latch on to recognized 'names' and can't be shaken, as if there is some sort of reflected glory in being in close physical proximity to people like Ken Marschall. One person raved at a BTS convention that she had actually been acknowledged by Charles Haas (or was it Jack Eaton? Hmmmm...), and even said something along the lines of 'it doesn't get any better than that!' Needless to say, we fell about laughing at the image." [/sup]

Being the person in question, may I amend this? I had been in an argument with another Titaniac about the 3rd class forward berth arrangement, and when I asked Mr. Haas, he had "acknowledged" (his word) that I was correct, not the other person. I had been vindicated on my own research by the top name in that particular area. And yes, I do not feel it gets better for a new researcher than when someone who has been at it for a lifetime says you are right.

Feb 14, 2011
I have a hunch many of us will be on a ship on the north Atlantic on April 2012.

I spoke with a man promoting this cruise when i attended the Guernseys titanic auction in NYC-
(I grabbed a stack of the cruise brochures).

He said they havent booked with a particular ship, but the QM2 might be a possibility...

This particular group won't be the only one, i assure you.
Ill bet the company that hosts the dives for the public will see plenty of buisness that year.
Imagine diving on the Titanic wreck on April 15 2012!!

regards

tarn Stephanos

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Hi Frances.

Re: what will we do on the centenary?what is there to do?anything for land lubbers?

That depends on where you will be.

My suggestions: "Raise a Toast" at one of several locations
1. The White Star Pub in Liverpool (around the corner from the Cavern Club);
2. The Olympic Suite at the White Swan Hotel, in Alnwick (make sure to book a room for the weekend);
3. The Grapes Pub in Southampton;
5. At New York's Chelsea Piers;
6. A choice pub in Belfast (I'll let the Listmembers from Ulster list their recommendations);
6. In Cherbourg or Cobh (again, I'll let the locals list their choices); or
7. The Queen Mary Observation Bar (after you see the relocated cutaway models of Lusitania and Titanic in the Engine Room area; the LA Maritime Museum chose to display ships that sailed on the Pacific Ocean, so Lusi and Titanic had to go).

Finally, if you will be around Washington DC, I'd recommend visiting a local bar AFTER seeing the Butt-Millett Fountain (outside the White House), the Women of America tribute memorial, and taking a quick look at the Caucus Room of the Russell Senate Office Building (where the US Senate Hearings were held; just know that events, such as luncheons, are still held there, so the Room may be booked, and, of course, there is Capital security precautions to be aware of).

If I am not on the Memorial Cruise (hopefully with "Arthur Peuchen"), then I will, definitely be at one of the above-mentioned venues.

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Anybody know the name of the ship and company that is doing this 2012 cruise. Sent an e-mail to the page but they never replied back.
Thanks Jon

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Thanks Jason, I went to the site posted and got tons of information even cabin prices but NO SHIP NO COMPANY,,sounds suspicious like some of these vacation air charters. Doubt it would be the QE2 but maybe. (Speaking of Cunard Commodore Ron Warwick makes his final crossing New York to Southampton 24 to 30 July.) Back to 2012,at this point my "personal" suggestion is to hold onto your money until it ALL checks out 100 percent. You can expect that on the 100th anniversary everybody is going to try to make a buck some honestly others????
Thanks again Jason
Oh bye the bye and I know this is the wrong place so again perhaps you could get it on the right posting. I plan to get the new Revell 33.5 inch plastic kit 1:400 BIG model of the Queen Mary 2, but would like to try to find someone in Massachusetts who could build it for me and do a nice job of course for $$$.
Thanks very very much
Jon Hollis
CHEERS

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
You're welcome, Jon.

"at this point my "personal" suggestion is to hold onto your money until it ALL checks out 100 percent."

I agree. I would love to do this crossing, but I haven't booked yet as I'm a little weary. Hopefully it does work out, as it would be quite something to be a part of.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Hopefully it does work out, as it would be quite something to be a part of.
Not to worry, Jason.
I put my name in, but have not, yet, sent in any money. Therefore, at least one cabin space is available for you. I, too, will be watching to see the details of this Excursion. We'll have to see if the planners of this venture can get the QM2. If they could do that, our entire List membership would be aboard.
grin.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
"Therefore, at least one cabin space is available for you."

Ah, good to hear. Thanks John!
grin.gif
I agree, if it does end up being the QM2, a lot of people from here would be aboard. In my opinion, she would be the perfect choice.

"Cunard very doubtful! P&O possibly? Check with them."

It could be P&O, Jon as the images of the accommodations are courtesy of them. Although, I think it's anyone's guess at this point.

Senan Molony

Jan 30, 2004
Dublin
Lot of unnecessary negativity here.
Am somewhat surprised.

http://www.titanicvoyages.com/

I have to say I do not hold any role for the company as myself and the wife will be paying passengers.

We're paying monthly instalments, and we did check it out. Nothing in this life is certain, but it seems to me that trying at the last minute to find a couple of grand - and spare capacity on the vessel - is restricting one's options unnecessarily, unless one is laden with cash.

I know some people who are buying passages on this voyag specifically for onward sale in 2012, when I dare say there will be a stampede.

This, of course, is only my impression.

I know that the Queen Mary II will be the ship
used, and that is confirmed from inside Cunard.

A large number of Titanic researchers will be going on this voyage, barring calamity, ha ha.

To me the 100th Anniversary is one tiny window in time and there is only one place to be - and that is recreating the exact voyage to the minute.

It is not something that I personally wish to leave on the long finger.

I see Gunter Babler is joining the group. He is, as we say over here, a top man in every direction.

I would like to which other ET members are going, as of this point?

As for cynicism, it was a countryman of mine who defined a cynic as a person who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

We all need a little romance in our lives!

Jan 28, 2003
Well, I don't think I am a cynic, Senan, but I do have a bit of a problem with organised sentiment, and have worried rather about the on-board events of 14th /15th April 2012. Without wishing to be frivolous at all, I do have a dreadful tendency to giggle at the wrong moments in life. That ghastly possibility aside, I have given the idea some thought and would basically like to go, especially as I've never been on a cruise liner. It does seem a long way off, though, and I'm by no means completely sure I'd still be alive. Though the children could go instead ....

Senan Molony

Jan 30, 2004
Dublin
Everyone does this "alive" vibe... it makes me wonder why I am paying into a pension every month!

Y'know, Monica, there is nothing better than being on a ship at sea *at night* in particular.

I love it. Gimme that black-to-black horizon, whether it be a ketch, a ferry, anything that floats; the stars in the inky firmament, the sullen sea below - it is simply incomparable.

Wordsworth captured something of it in his loveliness about London in the early morning:

Earth has not anything to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty...

[bit of superb guff here about the stilly air, domes, theatres, etc, then:]

Ne’er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!
The river glideth at his own sweet will:
Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
And all that mighty heart is lying still.

It is a humbling and privileged experience to be on the deep in darkness. I try to catch a night ferry once a year at least, in order to drink it in. Talk about leaving your troubles behind...

Essentially, in my view, we will all be a long time dead.

And although Mike Callard, the inspiration behind this recreation voyage, reassuringly does not need to run off with everyone's money (being vasty rich as it is), I am quite happy to run any fractional risk of it all going pear-shaped.

If I lost my money on the Titanic 100th cruise it would be small beer indeed when set against what the original complement had to part with.

On the other hand, there is only one window in time to meaningfully commemorate the Titanic in this century.

I would like to do it with a shipload of kindred spirits than find myself mournfully prodding the remote control at the TV and reflecting on what might have been.

If the 1912 Overture tells us anything, it is surely that life is for living.

I will now go and post my sainthood application letter to the Nobel committee...

Jan 28, 2003
I remember a night ferry, Senan. Liverpool to Dublin in the 1970s, I think. Everything you say about it was potentially right, but my most vivid recollections revolve around an extremely uncomfortable crossing due to rough sea, spent in the bar, playing 3 card brag with - among others - a couple of nuns. They fleeced me rotten.

But what to do about the giggling problem? Grow up? It's a bit late for that ....

Jan 28, 2003
Well. Only 30 years too late with that excellent advice, then. And, now I come to think of it, the nuns did a power of giggling as they raked in the cash ....