Titanic Memorial Cruise April 15 2012

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Well, I would love to go. As there is no way I can afford to save monthly for this event, I am reduced to relying on an unexpected inheritance from a long-lost Great Uncle turning up in the nick of time. Reality will find me standing on the quayside waving Bon Voyage to you all, I fear.

I wouldn't worry about getting the giggles, Mon - I'm the worst. I couldn't stop myself making a 'funny' comment to my mother at my Aunt's (her sister's) funeral service some years ago; and I got away with it too. I'm lucky she knows me so well.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
I have $150 on deposit, and will wait for the monthly installments to begin. If things don't work out, I will "place a blanket over my donkey" and my employer can help, via Schedule D, take care of the situation (see Michael, "Section 165" can help you out, when the situation is fully established).

Teresa Parks

Sep 9, 2007
I would love to go on this memorial voyage ( assuming it's real and not a scam ) I read the itiniarary and it sounds just fabulous - like jumping into all the books I have read on Titanic. But even with the 6 year notice & the monthly installments ( which if I have calculated correctly is saving $153.00 a month for 6 years ) is still a little too big of a stretch for me financially. I'm not poor by any means and I have my share of "toys" but I live basically paycheck to paycheck. I have extra from time to time but not monthly. Too bad they wouldn't commit to commemorate Titanic all the way by matching their prices for voyage as in 1912 - for what I'd be paying our time for the cheapest fare I would have been considered 1st class for the same amount of money their time. I go with the cruise that can do that along with all the Titanic hotspots. LOL I'm laying down a formal challenge to all the cruise lines. In the end they wouldn't be losing money at all - the publicity alone would win them cash at later dates. At least that's my feeling on the whole subject. So since I cannot go on this one and some of you are I would like to see numerous posts and pictures back here in 6 years - because I plan on still being here. God willing!

Senan Molony

Jan 30, 2004
Dublin
Hi Teresa

A 'steerage' ticket could be got by saving $50 a month for the next six years.

That's 6 x 12 = 72 x 50 = 3,600.

This is more than enough to buy the existing voyage price, plus the inevitable premium for buying late.

Your figures, above, are tripling the actual cost.

A person doubtful of the provider could of course channel money from their personal account to a savings account in their own name every month.

This way, you can't rip yourself off, or lose your money, although you will certainly pay a late booking premium by 2012. At the same time, the money will be secure unto yourself.

On a separate point, a person could borrow the entire cost in 2012, allowing for the extra cost of late purchase.

This way allows for "oh I might die" pessimism, because you will be alive to enjoy the cruise.

And if you die shortly after 2012 you will have stiffed the bank and saved yourself a pile of money!!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Yes, indeed, perhaps they could be persuaded to reintroduce 1912-style steerage for this trip. That way the price in modern money should not be above 500 pounds sterling. Surely we could all afford that, and enjoy the delights of 3rd Class cuisine and not having to bath as a bonus. I'm up for that. And of course those with the readies could still go 1st Class.

Scene: Aft well deck.
Mon: Who's the swell up there on A deck with the lobster sandwich?"
Bob: Forget it, girl. You'd as like have angels fly out o' yer arse as get next to the likes o' Molony.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Is this a New Forum for a travel agency...<<

I guess. Wanna buy a ticket?
wink.gif

>> where is the Titanic History here?<<

The hysteria history is all around us. I mean...lobster sandwiches, tax codes, and angels flying out of one's...well...you know!

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
"Tripe, Dry Hash, Gruel".
I wouldn't mind, as long as I'm on the ship, in April 2012 (as one who has settled for the Choice and Best Western Hotels breakfast fare: dry cereals, juice, and coffee, free fare one can enjoy as part of the greater experience).
wink.gif

And as I stated, earlier, if the plans for the cruise/crossing fall through and we don't get our money back, we in the US just need to make sure to fully document our investments (think of "C.Y.A."), then write off our losses on Form 1040, Schedule D, as nonbusiness bad debts (in the actual year we realize a loss). Thus, Mr. Standart will benefit under both scenarios: a great time at sea, or a way to save on his taxes.
grin.gif

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I spoke to the organiser yesterday, and its very exciting (I can't say too much, I hope you understand!).

So far over 600 people have signed up for the voyage.

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Don't know if anyone will catch this I posted info re the 2012 cruise on the Olympic Promo Movie Thread. Jason said to go to General Titanica so here it is. I have TWO WORDS FOR YOU
Be Careful with your money regarding this ALLEGED Cruise.Example when I contacted the administrator he said he did not have ANY ship yet, then goes on to say that he is not accepting any more single bookings. Strange no ship yet he knows how many single spaces are available. Sounds like he is trying to get Double Deposits now. Now get this, He also said if anyone cancels they will NOT get a refund. I now will paste a message I got regarding this Cruise and person. His first Name I think is Michael and his last name IS Cowlard
According to Companies house in London he has been a director of 10 different companies that have gone bankrupt - how far would you trust him?
He is also the person who set up the Website for Milly Dean and was answering questions on her behalf sending messages and taking monetary orders for a book and his trips all without her knowledge - she never knew a thing about it - he was also inviting ''everyone'' to tea with her without her knowledge!
SO be CAREFUL with your money. If you want to throw it away I am on a fixed SS Income and you could send it to me or donate it to Make A wish Foundation
Cheers Jon
O.K. Jason???

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
My advice to everyone: keep records of how much you have placed for this excursion.
If things don't work out, you may be entitled to a worthless venture loss, at least in the US. Again, keep detailed records of how much you have put up, or are planning to put up.

A Bad Debt Loss may be available, per IRC Section 165, here in the US, but the worthlessness of your investments must be established.

I hope all will be well, and that we will all see each other in April 2012.

John Creamer

Nov 7, 2003
All,

I would like to endorse Jon Hollis and John Clifford's sentiments regarding Titanic Voyages; the company organising the 2012 ‘memorial cruise.’ Do not let your interest in the Titanic disaster cloud your judgement, as you could lose a great deal of money in the process. I would encourage anyone to contact Companies House (in the UK) for themselves to see exactly what (failed) ventures Mike Cowlard has been involved with. You might also see two (defunct) Titanic-related companies listed under a "Mike Lowland" which is odd. I understand Titanic Voyages are currently in collaboration with the officers of the British Titanic Society to organise a three-day trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia, for next April's 95th anniversary. Caveat emptor; let the buyer beware.

Cheers,
John