Titanic Memorial Cruise

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
I've not heard from either of them about the trip, and haven't had the privilege of meeting them at conventions, etc.

Thank you for the supporting words about why we're doing this. Everyone who is going feels the same way you and I do, and the others can choose to miss out on this opportunity that will NEVER pass their way again.

I look forward to meeting you!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Examiner:

"Disaster voyeurism" or fun-filled cruise?
quote:

CNN Travel reported today that the Titanic disaster is not just a memory to some minds, but a way to capitalize on the 100th anniversary of the sinking. On April 15, 2012, several cruise ships will be sailing at the spot of the fated Titanic-iceberg incident. Cruise directors associated with both trips have called this a "learning opportunity," but critics are referring to it as "disaster voyeurism," and say it's in bad taste to commemorate the deaths of over 1,500 people.
More at http://www.examiner.com/travel-in-kansas-city/disaster-voyeurism-or-fun-filled-cruise

Comment: If the critics don't like it, they don't have to book a cabin.​

Karlee Weiler

Oct 8, 2009
I agree with you, Michael! And Bill, I wanted to thank you VERY much for suggesting the US Cruise for me. I spoke with Fred a little while ago and made my reservation! I am very excited to meet you and greatly appreciative!!

Feb 8, 2007
I agree Michael. What the heck do they want people to do? Ignore it completely?

Frankly, I'm guilty of everything they accuse us of. I'm fascinated with the era, the fashion, the people, all because of Titanic. I'm touched by the individual stories.

I'm going on the British cruise. I'd love to have a dress or two in 1912 fashions, although I probably won't be able to afford it. I want to see the places Titanic stopped to take on passengers. I want to eat the food they ate, hear the music they heard. I want to attend the lectures and see the exhibits. I want to stand out on deck in the middle of the night and commemorate her at the place she sank. I know I'll be crying a lot that night.

I'm even guilty of "capitalizing" on it, since I've written a book, and hope to have it available by then, so I can share my own twisted version with others who might like it.

The critics will have to be angry with me...

Sep 22, 2010
I'm new here. But I wanted you to know Marlene, that you are a woman with a heart much like my own and I would love to read your book!!! And just so you know I'm just as romanticised with Titanic and History in general, My daughter is named for the "Unsinkable Molly Brown" along with Molly Pitcher the Civil War Heroine and Molly Ringwald for her iconic place in 80s. and the Molly orphan in Annie. All I grew up admiring. Point being, all equaled a Molly to me and any attention on any History is just awesome xoxo

Feb 8, 2007
Ah, I love the name, Molly! It's such a happy name. And so Irish.

I've always found it beneficial to romanticize history. I don't mean in the sense that we make it inaccurate, just that it helps me to let it become personal, somehow. That's why I like to read (and write) historical fiction. Journals, logs, inventories, letters, etc., all give us the bare bones of what happened. Anything beyond that is speculation, and the speculation makes it come alive.

So when I write about the lives of the people who built Titanic, I can only use the documentation as a beginning. The rest is imagination...

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
Karlee, welcome aboard! We are in negotiations to add something to our programs - an award winning play entitled "Ice in April". We're discussing different options to present it, including having members of the audience as the performers. More to come!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>What the heck do they want people to do? Ignore it completely?<<

I think the attitude is something along the lines of "The ship sank, get over it."

This is often from the same people who's life is a horror if the don't make it to the next Star Trek convention or who miss the very latest about some Hollywood starlets latest sex-capade.

My own attitude is "You do your thing and I'll do mine."

If they don't like it, tough. They can do the getting over it.

C

Crystal Von

>>Frankly, I'm guilty of everything they accuse us of.
I'm fascinated with the era, the fashion, the people, all because of Titanic. I'm touched by the individual stories.<<

Same here...I am fascinated with the people that went through the disaster and of cause, the Titanic.
This is why the both of us are here!

>>I'm going on the British cruise<<

Good choice,more of an Titanic feeling!
The US cruise is nothing to sneeze at either....but,the Titanic was British and ran by the British.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Cruise to mark 100th anniversary of Titanic sinking nearly sold out
quote:

A controversial cruise to mark the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking is close to selling out -- 18 months in advance of sailing.

The UK's Travel Weekly reports only a few cabins are left to sell on travel agent Miles Morgan's Titanic Memorial Cruise, which is scheduled to take place in 2012 on a chartered Fred Olsen Lines ship.
More at:
http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/10/titanic-anniversary-cruise-ship-atlantic-fred-olsen-line-/126586/1

Anyone on here going on one of these cruises?​

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Nice. I don't know if anything was done in 1937, 1962 or 1987, but this seems to be pretty much new territory so hope you can post some pictures of whatever kind of ceremony they do.

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
they didnt know the location of the ship until the 75th anniversary, and to my knowledge, nothing was done.
We will have network coverage on our ship, with what we want to be a world-wide broadcast in the evening.