Titanic miniseries on tonight Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Susan Leighton

I couldn't find a thread for this, so I hope it's okay to start a new one here.

Anyway, while watching the 2* made-for-TV flick on Prince William ( Monica, you know we're crazy for the Royals here in US)....I saw an advert for the mini-series "Titanic" with Catherine Zeta-Jones. Showtime is Tonight (Sunday, Mar27) 7:00pm EST on 'WE' (Womens Entertainment). Most cable and DISH providers carry that network.

I have never seen the movie, and I know it has been reviewed here by some of you who have seen it. What do you think, is it worth watching?

Daniel Cox

Apr 5, 2004
It was a small budget mini series that came out just before the Movie Titanic.Its not too bad to watch on tv (wouldnt pay at the movies to see) and it shows some good scenes and shots of the ship.The stories arent too bad and it was good and different to see the story of how Alice the nanny finnished up with a baby (true story that has never been repeated in any Titanic movies too date).I would give it a 6 out of 10 for effort.
But its still heaps better then that terrible SOS Titanice from the 80's.
Dan

Jul 12, 2003
Yes, I see the Titanic with Catherine Zeta Jones is on here. But, our WE channel is advertising the Leo/Kate one. I turned it on about half hour after it started (thinking it was the Leo/Kate one) and I thought I was going nuts cuz I couldn't remember anything I was seeing.

S

Susan Leighton

Well, I wasn't impressed either. My own critique is......, about an hour into it, I was bored out of my gourd. My eyes were fluttering, so I missed most of it, which is unfortunate, I think, because I missed the part where the ship hits the iceberg, and how the film dealt with it. The parts I did see focused on some of the cliches' and myths that continue to perpetuate such disinformation on what occurred to the ship, its crew , and the passengers. I will say this.... the wardrobe worn by Catherine Zeta-Jones was.....Fabulous.
An interesting sidenote....the DISH and CABLE guide that provides information and review ratings on the program, described the Cameron movie and listed the actors as Leo and Kate, so those viewers expecting THAT were probably more disapointed than me.

.....so, no Deborah, you were NOT going nuts.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Well, I wasn't impressed either.<<

You're joining a very large club in that. Don't feel too bad about falling asleep. Catherine Zeta-Jones was about the only thing that even made the movie bearable as far as I'm concerned. Other then that, I thought it was dreadful.

Feb 6, 2005
Actully I liked it.

If af anyone else had Currys role it would be awful.

Aster and his wife were also good actors

the only thing weak was rape and special effects

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Tim Curry is an actor of many and varied talants, and he has a particular flare for playing the roles of Guys You Love To Hate. I don't think there are a lot of actors who could have played the role as the eeeeeeeeeeeevile Cardinal Richelieu in Disney's "The Three Musketeers" with quite the flare that he did.

Too bad a lot of the films he appears aren't anywhere near as good as he is.

Susan Alby

Oct 22, 2004
Hi Mike,

I think playing the bad guy comes naturally to Curry. I am sure he would be equally good, if not better, on stage. He is now appearing in Monty Python's 'Spamalot'on Broadway which I am sure will be a sellout performance.

Susan
happy.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know if it comes naturally, but considering he was trained at Cambridge and at Birmingham University in drama and graduated with honours, I'm sure any natural talant he has had a lot of expert help. I think it says a lot about him that he does just as well on the live stage as in cinima.

It's just a shame some of his roles aren't worthy of his talants, but he doesn't get to write the script.

Jun 12, 2004
No, but many performers do have the power and influence to have the scripts changed to accommodate their "needs," and many also are involved in the writing as well as the acting, so the reasoning that the actor/tress "doesn't get to write the script" doesn't always mean anything. These days, performers are giving input on the way the scripts are written or, at least, how the final storyline of the movie turns out. How much input that each performer provides is relative, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.