Titanic Miscellany

Chalkie

Chalkie

Hi

I hope you are keeping well.

Can you please bring my Facebook page about RMS Titanic to your members please?

Unofficial Titanic

I am the author of The RMS Titanic Miscellany published by the Irish Academic Press.

My Facebok page will give followers a new story each day about the world’s most famous passenger ship.

If you are happy to assist me, perhaps you would be very kind to send me the link.

Many thanks.

John White
The RMS Titanic Miscellany: Amazon.co.uk: John D. T. White: 9780716531562: Books

Chalkie

Chalkie

Thank you. I hope fans of Titanic will take the time to check out the page. John

Dan Parkes

Dan Parkes

Hi John.

I've just checked and indeed your Facebook page looks interesting - glad to see you are debunking some of the myths!

Chalkie

Chalkie

THE PATRIOTIC LINE

The third and last of the Olympic class trio of ships built for the White Star Line was originally named Gigantic, but was renamed HMHS Britannic after the Titanic sank. She operated as a hospital ship during the First World War hence the name, His Majesty’s Hospital Ship Britannic. Many people at the time believed that the White Star Line was making some form of patriotic statement. Though it is unknown for certain why the name of the ship was changed, it is quite possible that Britannic, a reference to Great Britain, was named in response to the Hamburg-America Line's Vaterland, the term used by Germans to refer to the German homeland. The Vaterland was completed in the spring of 1914 and at 54,282 gross tons she became the world’s largest ship at the time. The Britannic met her doom very soon after striking a mine during World War off the Greek island of Kea in the Mediterranean Sea.

John White

Did You Know That?
At the launching of the Titanic one worker from the Harland & Wolff Shipyard in Belfast was overheard saying: "They just builds her and shoves her in!"

The above is from my book – THE RMS TITANIC MISCELLANY, IRISH ACADEMIC PRESS

Reactions: William Oakes
Chalkie

Chalkie

TITANIC’S UNKNOWN BABY FINALLY NAMED

A few days after the Titanic sank on 15th April 1912, the body of a baby boy was found dead floating in the Atlantic Ocean by the crew of CS Mackay-Bennett, one of the rescue ships which were dispatched to retrieve bodies from the wreckage of Titanic. His body was taken to Halifax, Nova Scotia and simply identified as Body No. 4. The sailors were so upset at finding his body that they paid for a monument in his memory. He was buried at Fairview Lawn Cemetery on 4th May 1912 with a copper pendant placed around his neck by the sailors that simply read: "Our Babe." His grave was dedicated to “The Unknown Child” and the monument read: “Erected to the memory of an unknown child whose remains were recovered after the disaster to the Titanic, April 15, 1912.” However, in December 2001, scientists from the Paleo-DNA Laboratory at Lakehead University, Ontario, Canada exhumed the baby boy’s body and found three teeth (two molars) and a six centimetre piece of bone, some floral stems and the medal which was now split in two and badly decomposed. A group of scientists, led by Dr Ryan Parr, decided to become involved in helping to identify the unknown child after they saw a television programme about Titanic’sunidentified victims. When Dr Parr telephoned the Halifax-based Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, he was put through to one of their research associates, the marine geologist and Titanic expert Alan Ruffman. Together they decided to launch “The Titanic Ancient DNA Project.” At first Dr Parr and his team believed that the body was possibly that of Gösta Pålsson, son of Alma and Nils Pålsson of Gruvan, Sweden. Alma and her four children were en route to Chicago to be re-united with Nils who had gone to the USA before them to secure work. Nils sent money home for his family to travel to the USA as third-class passengers onboard Titanic. However, he lost his entire family in the Titanic disaster and none of his children were officially recovered. The coroner’s recorders in Halifax for Body No. 4 contained a note which simply read: “Baby Pålsson (?).” Upon analysing the bone Dr Parr discovered that metal from the pendant had seeped into the bone thereby contaminating it, but despite this Dr Parr was able to ascertain that the DNA was a non-match for baby Gösta Pålsson. No further DNA testing could be carried out to the bone leading the scientists to consult a dental expert about the three teeth. They were delighted to learn that the dental expert discovered dentin in one of the molars, a substance rich in DNA, and also identified the teeth as belonging to a boy less than 1-year old. Mr Ruffman was aware of five other young boys who lost their lives in the disaster and set about tracking down living maternal relatives of them to establish the identity of the unknown child. Mr Ruffman focused his attention on Gilbert Danbom (5-months old from Sweden), Sidney Goodwin (age 19-months from England), Eino Viljami Panula (age 13-months from Finland), Alfred Peacock (age 7-months from England) and Eugene Rice (age 2-years from Ireland). Amazingly, Mr Ruffman located relatives of all five boys including a 100-year old man from Finland who was related to Eino Viljam Panula. The blood samples given by the relatives ruled out a match for the Danbom, Peacock and Rice boys but both the Goodwin and the Panula boy had positive matches. After taking into consideration what the dental expert had said about the age of the teeth, Dr Parr and Mr Ruffman announced on 6th November 2002 that the body of the unknown child was Eino Viljami Panula. Eino was one of five children, all boys under the age of 10, who were being taken to New York by their mother to start a new life in the USA with their father. However, a few days later, following further DNA tests to the blood samples provided by the Goodwin family, Dr Parr announced that his team had made an error and that the unknown child was Eino Viljami Panula. Eino was one of five children, all boys under the age of 10, who were being taken to New York by their mother to start a new life in the USA with their father. However, a few days later, following further DNA tests to the blood samples provided by the Goodwin family, Dr Parr announced that his team had made an error and that the unknown child was Eino Viljami Panula. Eino was one of five children, all boys under the age of 10, who were being taken to New York by their mother to start a new life in the USA with their father. However, a few days later, following further DNA tests to the blood samples provided by the Goodwin family, Dr Parr announced that his team had made an error and that the unknown child was actually Sidney Leslie Goodwin. Sidney was travelling onboard Titanic in third-class with his Father, Mother and five siblings. They were on their way to Niagara Falls, New York where Mr Goodwin was going to take-up his new job in a power plant. The shoes Sidney wore when he boarded Titanic are on display at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Did You Know That?
A man from Halifax, Nova Scotia chained himself to the unknown child’s monument when he learned that the body of the baby boy was about to be disinterred. He claimed to be the child’s guardian but was eventually persuaded by the police to remove the chains after he received assurances that the baby’s remains would be disturbed as little as possible

Chalkie

Chalkie

HARLAND AND WOLFF SHIPYARD, BELFAST
The Harland and Wolff Shipyard in Belfast was founded in 1862 by Edward James Harland and Gustav Wilhelm Wolff. At its height, Harland and Wolff was one of the biggest shipbuilders in the world. Between 1900 and 1930, Harland and Wolff was Belfast's biggest employer with many thousands of men working in the famous Belfast shipyard at a time when demand for ocean liners was insatiable. Harland & Wolff constructed over 70 ships for the White Star Line, the most famous of which was the Titanic. When people speak about the famous Belfast shipyard the first thought that comes to mind is Titanic. However, today the shipyard which no longer makes ships is perhaps just as famous for its two cranes, Goliath which was built in 1969 and Samson which was built in 1974. These two cranes dominate Belfast’s skyline.

Did You Know That?
The Harland and Wolff Shipyard in Belfast has the world's largest dry dock.

Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

H & W shipyard was started in 1858 by Edward James Harland and Gustav Christian Schwabe and names as Edward James Harland & Co.
Gustav Wolff would join in 1861 and rename as Harland & Wolff shipyard.

Chalkie

Chalkie

PRESIDENT LINCOLN AND THE TITANIC

On 4th March 1861, Abraham Lincoln was elected the 16th President of the United States of America whilst on 4th March 1912 the engineering crew of the Titanic began to assemble in Belfast. On 11th April 1865, President Abraham Lincoln gave a speech concerning the reconstruction of the United States of America. John Wilkes Booth, a well-known actor at the time and Confederate spy, had planned to kidnap the President and offer him in exchange for the release of Confederate prisoners. However, after hearing Lincoln’s speech Booth became so enraged that he decided to assassinate the President. On 11th April 1912, the Titanic left Queenstown (Cobh), County Cork, Ireland, the third and final leg of her maiden voyage to New York having previously departed from Southampton and Cherbourg, France. On the evening of Sunday 14th April 1865, President Lincoln and his wife attended Ford’s Theatre in Washington to watch the play “Our American Cousins.” Booth entered the theatre and made his way to Box 7 where the President was situated and fired a single point blank shot into the back of his head before leaping from the box and escaping. After being shot President Lincoln was taken across the street to the Petersen House where he was cared for by Dr. Charles Leale and lay in a coma for nine hours. On the evening of 14th April 1912, Titanic struck an iceberg at 11:40 pm. President Lincoln was pronounced dead on Monday 15th April 1865 and in the early hours of the morning of 15th April 1912, the world was informed that the Titanic had sank resulting in the loss of 1,523 lives.

On the evening of 14th April 1865, President Lincoln’s main bodyguard Ward Hill Lamon, to whom he had relayed his dream of being assassinated, was absent from his post.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hello and welcome to the forum,

the world was informed that the Titanic had sank resulting in the loss of 1,523 lives.
You're using an old and outdated statistic. The official death toll and one which has been around for over twenty years, is 1,496. It is now the accepted figure by many historians and researchers in the community.

Reactions: Arun Vajpey
Stephen Carey

Stephen Carey

HARLAND AND WOLFF SHIPYARD, BELFAST
The Harland and Wolff Shipyard in Belfast was founded in 1862 by Edward James Harland and Gustav Wilhelm Wolff. At its height, Harland and Wolff was one of the biggest shipbuilders in the world. Between 1900 and 1930, Harland and Wolff was Belfast's biggest employer with many thousands of men working in the famous Belfast shipyard at a time when demand for ocean liners was insatiable. Harland & Wolff constructed over 70 ships for the White Star Line, the most famous of which was the Titanic. When people speak about the famous Belfast shipyard the first thought that comes to mind is Titanic. However, today the shipyard which no longer makes ships is perhaps just as famous for its two cranes, Goliath which was built in 1969 and Samson which was built in 1974. These two cranes dominate Belfast’s skyline.
Did You Know That?
The Harland and Wolff Shipyard in Belfast has the world's largest dry dock.
Presently, Hyundai has the world's largest dry-dock at Ulsan, South Korea which is 490m(1,600 feet) long, 115m across and 13.5m deep.

Reactions: Mike Spooner and Seumas
J

Jude

Hello Chalkie,

I fail to understand the connection between two events 47 years apart. Yes, they were the same dates, but quite frankly that doesn't prove any sort of connection.

On the 14th April 1911 my mother was born - there seems to be more connection there than with Lincoln. Actually my mother grew up in Portsmouth and said all through her childhood the shadow of the Titanic was over that town as many of the crew were from there.

T

telegonus

PRESIDENT LINCOLN AND THE TITANIC

On 4th March 1861, Abraham Lincoln was elected the 16th President of the United States of America whilst on 4th March 1912 the engineering crew of the Titanic began to assemble in Belfast. On 11th April 1865, President Abraham Lincoln gave a speech concerning the reconstruction of the United States of America. John Wilkes Booth, a well-known actor at the time and Confederate spy, had planned to kidnap the President and offer him in exchange for the release of Confederate prisoners. However, after hearing Lincoln’s speech Booth became so enraged that he decided to assassinate the President. On 11th April 1912, the Titanic left Queenstown (Cobh), County Cork, Ireland, the third and final leg of her maiden voyage to New York having previously departed from Southampton and Cherbourg, France. On the evening of Sunday 14th April 1865, President Lincoln and his wife attended Ford’s Theatre in Washington to watch the play “Our American Cousins.” Booth entered the theatre and made his way to Box 7 where the President was situated and fired a single point blank shot into the back of his head before leaping from the box and escaping. After being shot President Lincoln was taken across the street to the Petersen House where he was cared for by Dr. Charles Leale and lay in a coma for nine hours. On the evening of 14th April 1912, Titanic struck an iceberg at 11:40 pm. President Lincoln was pronounced dead on Monday 15th April 1865 and in the early hours of the morning of 15th April 1912, the world was informed that the Titanic had sank resulting in the loss of 1,523 lives.

RMS Titanic Miscellany
Did You Know That?

On the evening of 14th April 1865, President Lincoln’s main bodyguard Ward Hill Lamon, to whom he had relayed his dream of being assassinated, was absent from his post.
Yes, I've been aware of the parallels between the assassination of Mr. Lincoln and the sinking of the Titanic. I find this fascinating, though so far as I can tell this sheds no new light on either President Lincoln's tragic death nor the sinking of the Titanic.

Chalkie

Chalkie

TITANIC’s ONBOARD FACILITIES
RMS Titanic had a number of facilities onboard designed to make her passengers’ journey across the Atlantic as comfortable as possible for the passengers:
• Smoking Rooms in first-class and second-class (for the men).
• 2 Barber shops (one each for first-class and second-class passengers).
• 4 electric lifts complete with lift operators. (3 in first-class & 1 in second-class).
• A heated swimming pool.
• A Turkish bath.
• A gymnasium complete with 2 electric horses, 1 electric camel, 1 electric back rubbing machine and 1 electric vibration machine.
• A squash court on G deck with an observation gallery on F Deck.
• Reading and writing room.
• A library second-class which doubled as a Reading & Writing room. In the first-class section of the ship there was no separate library; books were stored in a locked bookcase in the first-class Lounge and were lent to passengers by a steward.
• 10,488 square-foot first-class Dining Saloon with a seating capacity of 554.
• Authentic Parisian Café with French waiters.
• A Veranda Cafe with real palm trees.
• Electric lighting in every berth/room.
• Electric heating in every first-class stateroom.
• A consultation room/surgery.
• A 5kW Marconi wireless transmitting apparatus and receiving instruments.
• A 50 phone switchboard complete with operator for intra-ship calls between various departments of Titanic (but not for public use). Although “The Shipbuilder” magazine fitted for passengers, this was not the case.

• Two Parlor Suites each with a 48 feet private promenade and 67 other first-class Staterooms & Suites.

Did You Know That?
Decorating designs onboard the Titanic included: Louis Seize, Empire, Adams, Italian Renaissance, Louis Quinze, Louis Quatorze, Georgian, Regency, Queen Anne, Modern Dutch and Old Dutch. Some had marble fireplaces which were fitted with electric heaters cleverly designed to look like a coal fire. Only the fireplace in the first-class Smoking Room had a working coal-burning fireplace.

Reactions: Dr. Ajmal Dar
Thomas Krom

Thomas Krom

• Authentic Parisian Café with French waiters.
This point is not fully correct. Only two of the 18 assistant waiters of Mr. Gatti his staff, which served both the á la carte restaurant and the café Parisien, were French. The two head waiters, 11 of the waiters and 11 of the assistant waiters were Italian. One of the waiters and three of the assistant waiters were Swiss (but from the Italian region), one of the waiters was British (but born to Italian Parents) and one of the assistant waiters was Spanish.

Reactions: James Murdoch and Jason D. Tiller
J

James Murdoch

Very nice observation Thomas. And some interesting facts from the OP that makes for a fascinating read.

Sorry for not getting back to your question on the other thread, I think it is a British expression but regarding how I am doing "no news is good news". Nothing prominent of note has happened to me since we last spoke, just plodding along.

Although concern is mounting in the UK over our looming cost of living crisis, I do not know if you are aware but energy bills here have spiralled out of control, to the point that by October the average bill works out at 3,600GBP yearly for gas and electricity. That is forecast to rise to 5,200GBP by January 2023. Real wage growth has plummeted by 10%, with inflation forecast to top 20%. It really is a struggle living in the UK at the moment, and I say that having a reasonable income yet I am left with about 200 GBP at the end of the month to spend on myself. Discontent is mounting and I really would not be surprised if were there to be riots here by the end of the year. I am still single, the love of my life left me some months ago, without reasonable explanation, it took her 9 minutes to pack up and go after dating for 9 years, and I have heard nothing since. I really hoped that when I asked you had you heard anything from Kate that you had, for the sake of closure if for nothing else. I would send you a PM to chat more, but I do not know how, I only know how to respond to one after someone has sent me one.

Best wishes to you Thomas, and apologies to the OP for jumping on the thread, I have been feeling contrite at not having replied to Thomas since he got back to me a few weeks back and feel this to be the only way to reach him

Last edited: