Titanic Modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Newman

Jun 16, 2004
Is there an official Titanic Modeling Thread on ET? I've searched around and I usually find them scattered throughout. Would an official thread dedicated to modeling be interesting to anybody or just me?

Jun 11, 2000
Hi Scott,
this is a problem the Admin team are aware of in general terms, and there is some discussion about consolidating topics into sub-folders where possible. I'll look into this one for you - may take a few days.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Threads about models and modelling tend to end up in 'Art, Photography and Music', which doesn't really fit the bill. Why not a whole new section? Many (maybe even most) of us take an interest in models of Titanic and related subjects even if we don't have the patience to build one. Having said that, I wouldn't like to have the task of searching for all the existing threads and moving them!

Scott Newman

Jun 16, 2004
Thanks Monica,

A official Modeling subject sounds great to me...but as Bob says, it's probably quite the task...still, I think there would be great interest!

Steven Hall

Aug 8, 2001
Scott, there is the TRMA (Titanic Research & Modeling Association) site which specializes in modeling that has been around since 1996. Everything you would ever want to know is just one click of the mouse away.

http://titanic-model.com

Jun 11, 2000
quote:

Scott, there is the TRMA (Titanic Research & Modeling Association) site which specializes in modeling that has been around since 1996. Everything you would ever want to know is just one click of the mouse away.
Aaargh! I've just started the reorganization...oh well, I'll just carry on anyway.​

Scott Newman

Jun 16, 2004
Thanks Steve,

I actually have taken a look at that site. It's great! I just really enjoy the message board here so I figured a thread of this sort would be nice as well...I'll have to spend some more time over there for sure! I think I'm going to start on a 1/350 deluxe edition Titanic. I made the less expensive version last year. It turned out ok, but I'd like to do a lot of custom things this time around. Some of the pieces in the original set are terrible...especially the railing. I've read the the deluxe edition is better, but obviously there are a lot of custom fittings that do a very nice job. My wife permitting, I'm ready to spend some money to make this model look right!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Scott, if you intend to buy all the etched brass extras you may as well start from the standard kit. All you get with the deluxe edition of the kit is one etched sheet with just some of the railings, and to get the rest you'll need to buy the whole set and will end up with duplicates.

There, you see, it IS useful to discuss models here at ET!

Scott Newman

Jun 16, 2004
Hmmm, Thanks Bob for the useful info...is there any other improvements to the pieces besides that one sheet? I found that with my kit a lot of the pieces didn't fit very well. And YES, it IS very useful...at least to me, discussing models here.
happy.gif

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
As far as I can see, the etched sheet is the only extra. There's a packet with some rigging cord and a small length of fine chain - maybe you didn't get that in the standard kit, but if not it's standard material that can be bought in any model shop for pennies (or cents). The plastic components are unchanged, to the extent that the plastic railings are still there.

Steven Hall

Aug 8, 2001
Scott, the TRMA or the Rivetcounter site (hosted by David Cotgreave a TRMA association trustee) will meet any query you may have. Phil Hind is absolutely free to start whatever topic line he chooses — but in the end, all it would be doing in the end is simply doubling-up on what is already covered extensively on either of the two above sites.

http://rivetcounter.txc.net.au

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Steve, I'm sure neither Phil Hind nor anyone else has plans to offer an alternative to the superb facilities at the TRMA site. All we do here is occasionally post comments about Titanics in miniature, everything from quarter-million dollar supermodels to glass paperweights which bear only a passing resemblance to the 'old canoe'. Any change proposed is merely one of cataloguing of posts, not of content within the forum.

Scott Newman

Jun 16, 2004
Monica,

Nice work dividing everything up...hopefully I didn't cause you a whole days work...but I think this will be nice. I understand Steve's viewpoint, but I think the topic of modeling comes up here quite often, so an entire section proves valuable for easy reference. There is clearly not the database here, as there is at Rivetcounter and TRMA, but that's ok...we know where to go for our "more in-depth" model questions!

Jun 11, 2000
A pleasure, Scott. Didn't take as long as I thought. So - happy glueing, and happy programming! As we carry on classifying, more may be added.
Monica

Bob Read

Dec 9, 2000
Here's one vote for continuing a modelling discussion section here at ET. For my money ET has much more to offer than TRMA.

Regards,
Bob Read

Status
Not open for further replies.