Titanic Modelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Dever

I am currently building the 1/350 scale titanic model by Academy/Mincraft,I have heard that there are metal deck rails available for this model.I have searched but so far have come up empty handed.Can anyone provide me with a Company name where I can order these parts.The plastic rails just don't make the cut.
Thanks Again, Steve Dever

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Hello, Steve,

check out one or both of these sites:

www.goldmm.com

www.tomsmodelworks.com

I've made purchases from both businesses and are satisfied with both.

There is a web site dedicated to building the Titanic model:

www.titanicmodel.com

which as of today is down, but I've been told the problem is being worked on.

Also, you may wish to look at:

http://rivetcounter.txc.net.au/

It's a tutorial guide for building the 1:350 Titanic model, but it was compiled when the metal deck rails (PhotoEtched brass) were just being made available. Hopefully, you can find the guide useful.

S

Scott R. Andrews

Hi Dan,

Thanks for following up on this one. As you've noted, the TRMA website is down at this time. I haven't heard any updates today from webmaster Sean, so I don't know if he's heard anything from the web hosts yet; the problem seems to have originated at their end, and once again it looks as if we're at the mercy of a web hosting service that doesn't have the vaguest idea of the meaning of the phrase "customer service"!

Regards,
Scott Andrews

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Steve, and for other interested parties:
here's a sneak peek at some of the detail one can incorporate into the 1:350 Titanic model.
Eventually, as I finish the model, I hope to provide external links to the step by step in constructing a detailed plastic Titanic kit.

85062.jpg

S

Scott R. Andrews

Hi Mike,

I just heard from our webmaster Sean. While there's still no resolution to the problem, Sean says that he's been able to get someone from the web hosting service involved so, hopefully, the problem will be resolved soon.

Scott Andrews

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Thanks for the info Scott. While I don't participate in the forum anymore (Can't seem to find the time) I still find the place a useful websource of information and informed opinion on technical matters. Sure would be nice to know what went wrong. TMRA seems to be having quite the run of bad luck with this sort of thing lately.

S

Scott R. Andrews

For those interested, TRMA's webmaster Sean is in the process of transferring everything to a new server. According to Sean, as soon as our regular domain names find their way through the internet, the main names will work once again but this may take few days. Sean has gotten the home page up and running temporarily at the following address:

http://host315.echo-host.net/~titanic/

As I understand it, this is courtesy of our friends over at the Debris Field:

http://www.modelship.info/phpBB2/index.php

To Christian, Scott, Mike and Arjay -- thanks, guys!

Regards,
Scott Andrews

S

Scott R. Andrews

For those interested, after what seems like an eternity the TRMA web site is up and running again. After fighting what turned into a losing battle to get the site's web hosts to resolve the problem, Sean decided that a switch to a new server was a better solution. I hope this host has a better handle on customer service and problem resolution!

Scott Andrews

Jul 12, 2005
For a real challenge, I have found a card stock model of the Titanic on the internet. The "ship" is about 9 inches long and you can download the plans, two sheets of the pieces and a sheet of the base from

http://www.currell.net/models/titanic.htm

The construction is like the old Micromodels of the 1950s when they sold Queen Elizabeth, Mauretania and United States models. You need patience and good eyesight! Enjoy! Robert H. Gibbons

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
It looks line a nice model-some of the paper models can produce very good models.
I am not sure of thier quality, but the Wilhelmshavner, and Schreiber companies in Germany both offer card models of Titanic.
Just a tip, building waterline models like this, it is a good idea to tack down the base of the hull close to the edge with several small dots of glue to a board or flat surface. You can cut later with an exacto blade to remove it- the reason is if you don't, the drying glue has a tendency to warp the hull.

Status
Not open for further replies.