Titanic Models/Variations

Paul E Burke

Jun 26, 2018
I am a newbie here but have the same passion as all here. Over the last few years I have been collecting different model versions of the Titanic and hopefully soon start building them as the instructions state. I want to see how each kit differs in detail and updates.
I am sure multiple people have done this but I am looking forward to it and the end game is to one day build the Minicraft 350 scale kit with all the bells and whistles available.

I was sorry to see the Titanic model site go down as I planned around that site to help me gauge the differences in the kits.

If anyone has done this and can give me information regarding the differences that would be great as well.
Thanks!

Mar 9, 2018
Georgia, USA
Just going off the minicraft version:

It was first produced I believe in the late 70's early 80's, possibly mid 80's and remained that way until 1997 when the Cameron film came out and interest exploded in the Titanic for a few years.

The 1997 upgraded kit comes in 2 varients, Standard and Deluxe. The standard is well, just the basic model but the deluxe includes a few brass etched parts for more experienced modellers.

Changes from 1997 kit to prior kits included some minor changes to the molds. For forecastle has proper porthole allotments now, an entirely new forecastle deck, no more X's on the coaling doors, skylight changes, and well deck corrections.

in 2008 the kits were bought, or either Minicraft as a whole was bought, by a different distributor and the molds were cleaned up further for greater clarity in details. You can tell which kit is which by looked at the side by the age recommendation:

• 36 months (old kits from 70's, 80's and 1997)
  • 8 years (first kits made in 2008 with all the photoetching included and better mold cleanup)
  • 14 years (second round of kits made in 2009 with all the photoetching included and parts from cleaned up molds)
I'm not too sure on other models. I've seen a lot of praise for the Mantua model thats made primarily of wood, but over the years I did see quite a few inaccuracies pointed out on TRMA about it. They seemed to range from easy - difficult to correct.

Jun 15, 2018
20180731_095547.jpg
I am halfway through Mantua's Titanic. It is an impressive and very attractive kit, a few inaccuracies as mentioned but these would really only be of interest to a rivet counter. All in all I am pleased with the result so far.
My only gripe is as it is primarily for RC the propellers are way over scale and just don't look right. However scale props are easily obtained. And it is a big beast the shelf is 120cms.

Last edited:

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I was sorry to see the Titanic model site go down as I planned around that site to help me gauge the differences in the kits.

Don't worry, Titanic Animations found a link to it here on the Wayback Machine so it's still accessible: Titanic Research and Modeling Association

On the topic, I brought a Academy 1:700 model. It does have a few inaccuracies (it's missing D-Deck portholes and some objects are stretched or shortened) but it's quite detailed, can be used as a waterline model and good if you terrible at painting* small things (like me). Overall a decent model and useful to use as a starting point into making more detailed Titanic Models.

starboardprofile.jpg

Photo above taken from here: Review: RMS Titanic Centenary Anniversary | IPMS/USA Reviews

*I should mention however that for some reason on the kit, the Propeller shafts were printed in black plastic instead of red so I will have to find the right shade of red paint to fix it!

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018
Georgia, USA
Should also be noted that there is a large version of Titanic available from Billing Boats, I believe it is in a 1:144 scale so it comes in just a smidge over 6ft in length.

This, like the Mantua kit, is a complete wood construction that requires a lot of time and patience. Also a pretty penny cost-wise at a normal $1,311.20 USD.

Billing Boats (B510) RMS Titanic - Model Boat & Fittings, Probably the Best Static and Radio Control Model Boat Kits in the World - www.BillingBoats-Direct.com

If you are more into looking for an exceptional challenge down the road, you can also scratchbuild a kit. Hulls can be purchased online in the 1:144 scale for not very much here: hull

Using multiple online resources, or what I used to build my CG model "Titanic: A Modelmaker's Manual", you can have a museum quality piece at your disposal.

Paul E Burke

Jun 26, 2018
I found a small Hobby Shop/Estate sale store on my way home today and there I found a Minicraft 1/350 Titanic Model. It was opened, but only the hull was started, all looked to be there. $22 and it was mine. In comparison the the other kits I have laying in wait, this is highly detailed and the scale is massive. This is a great practice piece for my goal!