Titanic Movie Lineup

Feb 13, 2002
Good Morning All,

Each year, I spend the 14th watching all my Titanic films.
What is your dream line up?

I won't say I have every one ever made, but I have the top players and a few you don't run into every day.
Thinking of your own collection, if you put together a Titanic playlist for your home theater, how would it read?

I normally put in Cameron's Titanic when I know I'll be busy and need the three hour block of time...lol

Oldest to newest? Common to rare? Line'em up!

Jun 12, 2004
Stephanie,

I'd probably go from oldest to newest, only because each movie reflects the information available on the real Titanic at the time, so watching them in chronological order will allow one to see the research development over time, too, as strange as that may sound.

Also, I go by whatever I feel at the time. If I am in the mood for Cam's, I start off with that one. I watched the SE version a few days ago and the G.C. Scott's version last night. Tonight--the special night--I'll probably watch ANTR because it is the movie that really started it all, despite the fact that Atlantic (1929/30), the Germany propaganda version of 1943, and Titanic (1953) preceded it.

Nov 26, 2005
>>I'd probably go from oldest to newest, only because each movie reflects the information available on the real Titanic at the time, so watching them in chronological order will allow one to see the research development over time, too, as strange as that may sound.<<

Doesn't sound a bit strange to me, Mark. If I decide to watch a group of Titanic films I always go oldest to newest for the reasons you mentioned and I also enjoy seeing the progression in filmmaking and photography.

Getting back to the topic at hand, this year I'm actually doing something different and watching documentaries instead of films. Last night I started watching them in order starting with Secrets of the Titanic (1985) and Treasures of the Titanic (1987) but tonight I skipped ahead to Ghosts of the Abyss and Titanic Tech tonight so I'm just watching what the mood tells me to. I've decided for sure tomorrow night will be Titanic: Death of a Dream and Titanic: The legend lives On, both released in 1993 by A&E and, in my opinion, the best documentary(s) about the Titanic's life/death and aftermath.

Well, there's my exciting plan for the 96th anniversary.

Feb 13, 2002
Thank you both for your reply!
I think I'll alternate between films and docus.
At some point "Raise the Titanic" will play.
Corny yes, but the sight of her popping out of the Atlantic always leaves me a bit breathless for a moment. Can't miss my "wormie on the hookie" moment! LOL I do think ANTR will start me off. I'd like to end with another look at the Turkish Bath. That was sooo thrilling! The colors still to be seen were amazing.

Sep 25, 2004
As for me, I rented out Secrets of the Titanic, The A&E special, and The Nightmare and the Dream. I also plan to watch my Criterion copy of ANTR and GOTA. Once I finish those off, I'll read a few books I borrowed from my library (Their Titanic selection is quite good).

Chances are I'll be doing the same thing in 2012.

Feb 13, 2002
My ANTR DVD gave me some trouble, so I started out the morning with "Titanic" with Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck. I'll catch ANTR on VHS later. I followed that with "Secrets of", then a lesser known Titanic docu. focusing more on Survivor accounts. At the moment, Dirk Pitt has located her and will be raising her shortly! =)

Jun 12, 2004
quote:

Chances are I'll be doing the same thing in 2012.
James,

One idea that would be great is to travel on ship or boat to the area of the wreck site and pay homage to the loss. A large accumulated crowd of Titanic enthusiasts (and maybe some curious non-enthusiasts) can gather on deck and discuss the sinking and what it must have been like. It would seem very real because we'd be right there, not far from where it all happened 100 years before. That should make for a very memorable and profound experience (not to mention an expensive one).​

Jun 12, 2004
Hey Jason,

Never said that such an idea wasn't already planned, only that it would be an appropriate one. Glad to see that some are already ahead of me.
smile.gif

Have you reserved a spot yet, Jason?

Who else has already reserved a spot? I requested info on availability, but I am not sure whether or not I will have the money, at least to reserve early on.
sad.gif

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Mark,

Yes, I reserved a spot a few years ago. Only I have not paid yet, so don't worry. I haven't received any requests to do so and if it does actually happen, I won't pony up the money until the last minute.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
Maybe if I skip lunch for the next few years, I'll have enough money to be able to go.
happy.gif
No, that's wishful thinking on my part, unless I want to take out a loan. What kind of cabin have you reserved Jason? If you do end up going, you should take pictures of all that you see. Are there any other events taking place?

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
You say this is happening in 2012, huh?? This is interesting because every 4 years (beginning in 1996) my family has taken a trip to Disney World. Having been to Disney World before, it wouldn't be as magnificent. Maybe I could persuade the history buffs in my family to check this out. Is it that much per person to go? Do you have to pay for the plane ticket? I have never been to the wreck site of the Titanic. I would have ample time to save up. I could even get a loan if I needed to, though I don't think I will. I just hope that cruise does not follow the same path as Titanic did 96 years ago.
happy.gif

I don't know, Jason. Do you think that I should do it? When do you have to pay your way onto the ship?

Jason, what is it you do for a living?

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

You say this is happening in 2012, huh??
Yep. Exactly four years from now.

quote:

Is it that much per person to go?
Yes, it's part of a package.

quote:

Do you have to pay for the plane ticket?
No, it is included.

quote:

what is it you do for a living?
I work for the City of Toronto Government, as a Call Centre Agent.​

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Well, I can't tell you what to do, but if you don't want to miss out, then yes. It's a chance of a lifetime and you only live once. You'll be surrounded by many other Titanic historians, researchers, enthusiasts, etc, etc.
happy.gif

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
Oo . . . Jason, you make it sound so tempting. The only road block I can see is the payments. I can't make the payment in 2009, as I will be gone for a couple of years. Do you think they would accept it if I can pay them in full at the end of 2010, or do you think they will just disregard me as a hopeful? You may not be able to answer these questions, I'm mostly just thinking out loud. This is one trip I would never want to miss out on, but might have to. Argh!!! I mean, I would be able to meet some of the buffs I've met on ET. If I needed to, would you suggest taking out a loan for something such as this, Jason?

Feb 13, 2002
Well ..if any of us are smokers, we could simply quit smoking and would have no problem having that kind of money four years from now! =)

Make sure you get your taxes done early that year.

Wow, but that would be the trip of a lifetime! Finishing the journey for those that didn't. That's another thing that gets to me a bit in "Raise the Titanic". Seeing her image making it to New York Harbor...finally!

Nov 26, 2005
>>Well ..if any of us are smokers, we could simply quit smoking and would have no problem having that kind of money four years from now!<<

At damn near five bucks a pack where I live, I'd probably have that kind of money saved up in two!