Titanic Movie or TvShow with Katherine Zeta Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2001
ENTRAPMENT:
I am asking this question here instead of opening a new thread, and since she was the co-star of this 1999 movie, it seems as good a place as any.
In the first 10 minutes of the movie, when she is given the go ahead to stalk McDougald, she flies to London. In a brief scene, in about a 5 second pan over, what I believe is the Thames river, there are the tops of 2 funnels in what appears to be traditional White Star Line colors. I sent a freeze frame of this to 2 very respectable historians, and neither of them recognize it. Did anyone else catch this, and does anyone know what it may be? Since it is a scene from a movie, I am sure there are copyrights to it, so I can't post it.
Thanks.
Colleen

M

michael john salvona

did anyone mention TITANIC was in the TIME BANDITS

May 8, 2001
Kate:
Just found your reply.
proud.gif

Neil McRae

Apr 16, 2001
It's been a while since I've commented on this recently, or anything else on the boards here for that matter, but I was recently reminded of Catherine Zeta-Jones' character in another discussion.

On another board, in a discussion about adultery, I offered her character (I believe her name was Isabella, as I recall) as an example of a woman who has it all (even if she does cry a lot).

Let's recap. She's on her way back from Europe, away from her husband and daughter, when she meets her old boyfriend Wynn Park (who came up with these names!?). She'd dumped him a few years back for her current husband. She decides she doesn't want a stateroom near his, but after he charms her a bit, she decides she's happy where she is. A few words from Wynn about how she broke his heart and how wrong her husband is for her start to make Isabella sway (despite her token arguments that "he's a good man, a kind man"). Add a tango and a red dress and you've got a dangerous mix.

I don't need to tell you what they end up doing that night. The next day, Isabella pleads with Philips and Bride to send a message to her husband "before I lose my strength, before I change my mind" saying she's leaving him for Wynn, blissfully unconcerned with what this would do to her daughter. Somehow they think they can raise her daughter together. (Wynn says "I love her. Without even knowing her, I love her." Gimme a break!)

Then of course, Isabella and Wynn go the way almost all fictitious Titanic romances go. The ship sinks, she lives, he dies. She sheds a few tears and moves on.

When the Carpathia arrives in New York, Isabella expresses fear to her friend Madeline Astor about whether or not her soon-to-be-ex-husban d will still let her see her daughter. (Why would this have been different if Wynn had lived?)

But remember that this is a movie! The husband and daughter come after all. It seems the husband never got any wireless and doesn't care about what she said in it. All that matters is that she's home.

Smiling, Isabella responds "You're right. I'm home." But you know she's really thinking, "Well, I was going to dump you for Wynn. But he's dead now and you're here so I guess I'll stay, but I'm certainly never telling you what I did on that ship or what was on that wireless!"

Now if that's not having your cake and eating it too, that just what is?

(And if you think I'm being too hard on her, I also think Wynn is a real bum. If he loves Isabella's daughter so much, why is he trying to tear her family apart?)

And did I mention that Isabella tells Wynn that HE'S really her daughter's father?

J

Jon R.

Hey Neil, I was thinking the same thing too. I mean here she is flip-flopping between men and all the while thinking that it's OK to dance in public because hubby's never gonna know. It would be funny to see if the husband really did get the wireless and ruthlessly played her out so as he can keep any monies going to her in a divorce. ...but then, that would be another movie...and one bad movie cannot save another bad movie...

Status
Not open for further replies.