Question Titanic movie poster

Jun 3, 2020
Greetings from France,

First of all, thank you for being indulgent with my english, i am not yet bilingual, but i work there.

I have been a movie poster merchant in France for 25 years and today I have an enigma and need your help.

I have just acquired a poster from a film from the 10s and I think that it is the sinking of the Titanic, even if I know that the ship drawn on the poster has only 3 chimneys.

I cannot find the US title for this movie.

Anyone on this forum would have an idea ??

Thank you for your help

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user
May 3, 2005
Interesting poster, Dominique Besson !
I know this isn't much help but are you sure the movie was about the Titanic ?
For examples :
The stacks are wrong colors for Titanic
If this is a four-stacker the most aft stack seems to be sinking as the ship sinks by the stern instead of by the bow.
The lifeboats seem to be in a rough and stormy sea in daylight instead of dark sea at calm.
I wonder who the two characters in the circle are supposed to be ?
Again, I know this isn't much help but I'm wondering if this movie might be about another ship or just a fictional ship instead of the Titanic ?
This is a wild guess but could this movie be of Morgan Robertson's 1898 (?) book "Futility " ?

I did find that there is a book of the same title as the movie , but it is by Henry Rousso who is " An Egyptian born Frenchman (born in 1954) who writes about WWII France." The book was published in 1998. I think the U.S. title would be "A Haunt From The Past" ?

Last edited:

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
This is just a guess, but on the Wikipedia page which list's films made about the Titanic, it mentions a French film made in October 1912 called La Hantise ("The Obsession").

It stars Renée Carl and René Navarre who look a bit similar to the two people in the poster and they appear to wear roughly the same costumes in the actual film (which can be found on Youtube):
La hantise - Wikipedia

Note: I could be completely wrong.
Edit: I was wrong! Dave Gittins has found the correct film in Post #6!

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
This is just a guess, but on the Wikipedia page which list's films made about the Titanic, it mentions a French film made in October 1912 called La Hantise ("The Obsession").

It stars Renée Carl and René Navarre who look a bit similar to the two people in the poster and they appear to wear roughly the same costumes in the actual film (which can be found on Youtube):
La hantise - Wikipedia

I think you're much much very closer than I ?
If you will pardon my French " Merci beaucoup " !
Also , except for a few parts - right at the end - the quality of the video is remarkable for a movie made in 1912 ! Thanks again ! I watched the whole thing ! :)

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2005

La hantise - Wikipedia

Nice find. Interesting that in 1912 at least for the movie makers they seemed to be sure what song was played at the end.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Congratulate me! I've found it!

Vitagraph was a major American movie maker of the silent film days. It made a film called The Memories That Haunt, starring Earle Williams and other Americans. It was released in Europe under several names, as shown on the poster. The story has nothing to do with Titanic. It concerns a man who leaves his wife and goes to sea. He survives a shipwreck and eventually his wife finds him on a island that he escaped to and all ends well. The whole tale is on IMDB.

May 3, 2005

Vitagraph was a major American movie maker of the silent film days. It made a film called The Memories That Haunt, starring Earle Williams and other Americans. It was released in Europe under several names, as shown on the poster. The story has nothing to do with Titanic. It concerns a man who leaves his wife and goes to sea. He survives a shipwreck and eventually his wife finds him on a island that he escaped to and all ends well. The whole tale is on IMDB.
Could there be two movies with the same titles ?
The French movie does have a connection with the Titanic, doesn't it ?
Thanks very much to all for the finds.
But it does seem quite a coincidence that there were at least the two movies, both made about the same time, same titles, both about ship wrecks.
But of two different stories.
One made in France, and one made in the U.S.A.

There are more interesting things on this website all the time !
I even learned how to estimate the distance to the horizon on this website ! :)

Last edited:

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
There are two movies, but the names are not quite the same. The French movie, by Gaumont, is called La Hantise. It's indeed about Titanic and a survivor. The American film, The Memories that Haunt, was called La Hantise du Passe in France.

May 3, 2005
There are two movies, but the names are not quite the same. The French movie, by Gaumont, is called La Hantise. It's indeed about Titanic and a survivor. The American film, The Memories that Haunt, was called La Hantise du Passe in France.
Thanks again !
Especially for clearing up my confusion about the names being not quite the same . :)

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017

It's definitely this film, this is the same photograph used in the poster (from IMDB). :)
MV5BZDlkNjNlMzItYTZjZC00NDY2LTljYzQtMTU2ZWRlZjEzM2ExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDUyOTUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Jun 3, 2020
Thank you all for your help.
Unfortunately it is not about the Titanic, I suspected it a little, but at least you allowed me to identify the film.
Thanks again to everyone and especially to Dave Gittins who have found the film.

May 3, 2005
It's definitely this film, this is the same photograph used in the poster (from IMDB). :)
View attachment 48865
Thanks again to all concerned for clearing what for me was a bit of a mystery.

And what I should have said in my previous post should have been :
It is threads (such as this one) that make this website so interesting all the time.

And I think I was right in at least one assumption :
The ship and scene in the poster is not of the Titanic, but of another ship.
And I might add on a second thought comment .......of quite a different story. :)

Cheers!
Robert

Last edited: