Titanic movie with George C Scott as Capt Smith

Feb 14, 2011
On April 14/15 I , like many other Titanic buffs, had a Titanic movie marathon, and watched all my different Titanic movies. One movie I watched was the made for tv Titanic starring George C Scott, Peter Gallager, Mary Lou Henner, etc. For a tv production, some of the sets were rather accurate- like the grand staircase- others very wrong, like the smoking room.

The rape scene was a bit inapproriate.
Henners depecting of Molly Brown was the worst acting Ive seen in years, and i think even George Scott's depiction of Smith was over the top.

Ismay made into the ultiamte villian, and his depiction would make a Nazi seem likable. What do you all think of this film? I did like the focus on the Allison family- but was their nanny as emotionally unhinged as depicted in the film?

My rating is two funnels up....

what do you all think of this film?

regards

tarn Stephanos

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
The music was nice, tho'. Other than that, I cannot think of a single thing to recommend it.

Best regards,
Cook

J

Jon R.

I saw this movie and thought that the set was pretty well done. Unfortunately, nothing can save this movie from the bad acting and plot lines. An interesting tidbit though was Catherine-Zeta Jones appearance in the movie.

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
The sets were pretty well done? All I remember was watching the film and thinking "I'm going to have to write a book on how many errors this thing has."

Adam

Dec 6, 2000
If I remember this all correctly:

The THS convention on the Queen Mary in 1997 had one of the special effects men who worked on the movie, as a speaker. His heart was obviously in the right place - but budget and time constraits kept him and others from doing an accurate model and sinking.

Neil McRae

Apr 16, 2001
I taped this when it was first on and thought it was cool at the time. (I hadn't seen any other "Titanic" movies at the time.) I pulled out the tape recently and thought "I can't believe I thought this was good!"

There were some terrible inaccuracies especially people saying things that were actually said by other people and Captain Lord of the Californian looked at least fifteen years older than he should be. (Not to mention the fact that the Allison's nanny did NOT kill her baby).

Plus a lot of the lines were super cheesy and most of the acting was so hammy you can't watch it if practice kosher! (Actually you shouldn't watch it even if you don't).

I thought Olsa, the immigrant girl, was kinda cute and I could understand that thief falling for her but Catherine Zeta-Jones' character is not nearly as sympathetic as she should be. Mainly cause she such a ho and gets away scott free at the end. (Pardon my French). I liked her much better in "Zorro". At least Cameron's Rose you could feel for. Her fiancee was the scum of the earth but Isabella's husband (from what little we saw and heard of him) seemed a perfectly nice fellow. The whiny Allison nanny is really annoying too.

If you want to say you've seen every Titanic movie and have two hours to kill, go ahead and watch it, though. James Cameron did a better job. (And that's saying something!)

Mar 28, 2002
Anything with Tim Curry is grounds for a total switch-off and who was that crewman supposed to be at the end talking to the lovely Ms Jones/Douglas? The one who was very obviously an American trying to do a English accent (and I think the bloke was supposed to be Welsh too). Oh, the calamity of it all!

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
Eh, I wouldn't put down Tim Curry that much. He was in Hunt for Red October, and didn't do anything to slow that film down.

Adam

Mar 28, 2002
Was he? I didn't know that. Did he play anyone who was sneaky/slimy by any chance? He usually does, eg, Home Alone 2, Cluedo, Titanic, Rocky Horror. Bloke does my head in, I think, but these days that doesn't take much.
And I won't even mention Sean Connery's "same accent whoever he plays" thingy.

Cheers,

Boz

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
I haven't read the book, but the film stands out very good. The storyline was excellent, and the casting was great. IMO, Connery played Captain Ramius well. You should see it sometime.
happy.gif

Adam

May 5, 2001
> -------------------- -------------------- -------------------- > > Posted by Adam Leet on Friday, 19 April, 2002 - 2:09 pm: > > Eh, I wouldn't put down Tim Curry that much. He was in Hunt for Red > October, and didn't do anything to slow that film down. > > Adam

Adam my man, let's call a spade a spade here, Tim Curry's Character in Titanic(96) was not only not needed in an already tragic tale but it was unnecessary.......th e rape scene was about as needed for that film as "Plan 9 From Outer Space" was needed to be billed as the worst horror movie ever made.

Face it, we're all TITANIC FANATICS on this bus but we can spot an inferior product when we see one, even if TITANIC is slapped onto the title.

Regards, Bill

> >

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
The Hunt For Red October, one of my favorites! And, it also has Sam Neill as Captain Borodin!
"One ping, one ping only."

I didn't get a chance to do Titanithon: 2002 this year. I started "Atlantic," but didn't get to finish it.

Neil,
I thought the same thing about the miniseries! I bought the video for five bucks and after watching it thought it was really good. Repeated viewings prooved otherwise, of course.

I still prefer the miniseries over "Britannic." (See the worst movies thread for my rant)

Josh.

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
"Plan 9 From Outer Space" - ah, now you're talking! I LOVE those trashy b/w sci-fis of the 50's and early 60's!

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
"Plan 9"... ah, yes! Ed Wood's finest feature film.
As for Tim Curry, I can't watch him withOUT thinking "Let's Do The Time Warp Again!" The rape scene was not only gratuitous, it was extremely insulting. Although, I'd have to agree with Neil that when I first saw the film on TV (part two only, I had missed part one), I thought it was pretty good for a TV movie. When I bought the video and finally got to watch part one, I had to shut it off. Couldn't get very far into it, it was so bad! But I'd endure watching it only for the costumes, now that my sewing is improving.

All the best,
Kyrila

Feb 14, 2011
Who can forget Tim Curry as Dr Frankenfurter in the Rocky Horror Picture show....

When watching him on this soap operaesque Titanic, I half expected him to pop out in drag at any moment..

The scenes between pretty boy Peter Gallager and talentless Katerine Zeta Jones on the grand staircase remeinded me of scenes from the hammy 70s soap operas...

regards

Tarn Stephanos