Titanic News Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christine Geyer

Congratulations Phil on that new enrichment for the board !! (it IS new, isn't it ? (*rubbingtheblindeyes*) Sometimes it's almost a little weird for me how you still manage to perfect it. Wow.... !! Thanks a lot and now excuse me, I gotta follow all those links now...
happy.gif

Many regards
Christine

Dec 12, 1999
Here's a news item: I read a review this morning to the effect that fans of "Titanic" will probably like the new movie, "Pearl Harbor." Here's an excerpt from the review which appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle:

Bay even capsizes a ship, calling to mind "Titanic," the film "Pearl Harbor" most resembles. The truth is, people who loved "Titanic" will probably only like "Pearl Harbor," while people who hated "Titanic" just might enjoy "Pearl Harbor." This one is neither as good nor as bad as "Titanic." It's less corny, less romantic and takes fewer chances, but in the end, it gets the job done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I checked out that artical on the studio tour where the Titanic sets have been re-created. In one of them, one can "run away" from floodwaters in company with trained live rats! Yuk!

Only Fox could come up with something like that!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Until Iread the article fully, the headline about the discoverer of the Titanic and giant worms almost had me sending Bob Ballard a get-well-soon card!

Another great effort Phil.

Regards

Sam

Dec 12, 1999
Here's an excerpt from a newspaper article about a local carnival --they advertise a slide that looks like a giant inflatable Titanic, that's sinking. I imagine some Titanic passengers slid into the sea when the ship started its plunge --so it seems that this inflatible Titanic slide is really in bad taste.

Circus Chimera brought its brand of family fun to the Sonoma County Fairgrounds last week and will be presenting shows in Dublin, Suisun City, Vacaville and other Northern California cities through June.

Children and others are bound to be lured by its 150-foot round tent, kiddie rides, snake sideshow and a giant inflatable Titanic that serves as a slide and looks like it's sinking into the ground.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Jan, One of those supermarket tabloids ran a photo of the thing last year, and I was appalled. My daughter tells me it was featured at the Palm Beach County, South Florida Fairgrounds this year. I'm glad I didn't go. I might have given the carney a piece of my mind. . .and maybe a foot or a knee in a strategic location!
Kyrila

L

Louise Taylor

Hello all.. I am a 28 year old English female, working in South Korea.. not too much on Titanic here unfortunately, anyone want to communicate with a girl who cant get enough of Titanic??? Hope to hear from you soon....

Louise

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Louse, much of what's on this site appears to assume a general familiarity with the ship itself. However, in the various folders here on the message boards, there are discussions covering nearly every aspect of the disaster and the people themselves that we can think of. This includes a Frequently Asked Questions folder you may find of interest.

If you browse the index page, you'll find passanger/crew lists and bios, and also a links page which can take you to a wide variety of some of the best Titanic sites on the web. In addition to that, we exchange information and ideas...to say nothing of new links...all the time in the forums.

When you get right down to it, if you want to research the Titanic on the web, ET is about the best possible place to start.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dec 12, 1999
Please forgive me for putting a non-Titanic item on the board --but this is something in the "Can you believe it" realm. A federal judge sent two elderly nuns to federal prison!!

Federal judge makes world safer, sends elderly nuns to jail

Stephanie Salter Thursday, June 14, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IT MIGHT be fine and dandy with some of you that the government of the United States has thrown the book at an 88-year-old nun and her 68-year-old kid sister, who is also a nun. Then again, maybe you don't even know about this.

Last month, in Columbus, Ga., U.S. Magistrate G. Mallon Faircloth apparently decided to make the world safe from religious women of conscience who peacefully trespass on federal property -- specifically, the military training facility at Fort Benning formerly known as the School of the Americas:

He sentenced Franciscan nun Dorothy Hennessey, 88, and her younger sister, Gwen, 68, who is also a Franciscan nun, to six months each in federal prison --

the maximum possible penalty.

Since 1990, when Maryknoll priest Roy Bourgeois and a handful of other protesters showed up at the gates of the school (recently renamed the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation), it has been targeted by tens of thousands of demonstrators. Every October, adults, students and little kids gather at the entrance to Fort Benning to decry the school's deadly role in Latin American politics and to demand its closure.

Some of the protesters -- more each year -- "cross the line" and trespass onto the grounds. Usually, they carry coffins and name placards that represent the people who've died at the hands of SOA graduates.

The Hennessey sisters were among several thousand who crossed the line last October and got arrested. So were two other nuns from different orders -- Elizabeth Anne McKenzie from the Sisters of St. Joseph and Miriam Spencer from the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace. Faircloth slapped them with the maximum six months in prison, too. McKenzie is 71, Spencer, 75.

Proving that he is an interdenominational kind of guy, Faircloth also sent a Quaker couple from Ohio -- Bill Houston, 72, and Hazel Tulecke, 77 -- to federal prison. Like the nuns, Houston got the max, but Tulecke received a break: only three months.

Altogether, 26 peaceful trespassers were sentenced by the judge. Most (21) got the max, but two got off with a few years probation. One man from Mississippi, Steve Jacobs, received two 6-month sentences.

Merciful magistrate that he is, Faircloth told Gwen Hennessey that she didn't have to report to the federal pen at Pekin, Ill. -- the nearest prison to her order's Dubuque, Iowa, motherhouse -- until after she celebrates the 50th anniversary of taking her vows.

He also offered the older Dorothy the option of serving her sentence under "motherhouse arrest" in Dubuque. According to the National Catholic Reporter, Sister Dorothy told the judge, "No thanks" because she is not an invalid and wanted to be treated the same as her 25 co-defendants.

Two of 15 Hennessey siblings, Dorothy and Gwen told the Reporter that their peaceful civil disobedience was a kind of activist memorial to their late brother, Franciscan friar Ron Hennessey. He served for 34 years as a missionary in Latin America and was friends with Salvadoran Archbishop Oscar Romero.

Romero's 1980 assassination was master-minded by graduates of the School of the Americas.

Like their fellow convicts, the Hennessey sisters said they weren't looking forward to jail, but they planned to make the best of it.

Said Dorothy: "If there's time left after we get out we might want to go into prison ministry."

Just knowing that those two women will be off the street for six months should really make us all sleep better at night, don't you think?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
While I have no love for protestors, (Even the ones I agree with) six months is a bit extreme. However, I should point out that what these people were doing was illegal and for very good reason. Remember that this is a military training ground. The sort of place where units run around with tanks, helicopters, and fire weapons with live ammunition. This isn't just a legal issue, but a safety issue as well. Recklessly endangering oneself this way is hardly sensible, does not make a point, and is a good way to end up dead.

If somebody wants to make some kind of a stand, fine and dandy, but I'll trouble the lot to play by the rules while they're at it. If nothing else, they stand a better chance of living longer.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
They should have done an OJ, if for no other reason than we would all be hearing about nuns on the run
happy.gif

Regards

Sam

Dec 12, 1999
Here's an article about someone who built a huge, palacelike estate at Lake Tahoe, which included a replica of a stair case like the one on the Titanic.

Work completed on $50 million Lake Tahoe estate

Saturday, June 16, 2001
Breaking News Sections

(06-16) 17:28 PDT ZEPHYR COVE, Nev. (AP) --

After taking workers three years to build, a $50 million, 214-acre estate overlooking Lake Tahoe's southeast shore is ready for occupancy.

The "Tranquility" estate, which features a 23,000-square-foot house and seven adjacent buildings, is owned by Tommy Hilfiger Corp. chief operating officer Joel Jay Horowitz and his wife, Ann, of Englewood N.J.

Tommy Hilfiger is a trendy clothing manufacturer.

"There's no question it's one of the most opulent estates in Lake Tahoe history," said Craig Zager, an agent with McCall Realty of Stateline. "It's also got to be one of the priciest estates in United States history."

"I'd have to classify it as one of America's castles," added Norm Denny, a former Douglas County building official who oversaw inspections of the project. "The quality of the work is the best I've ever seen."

The Horowitzs declined comment.

The estate, built in the forest a half-mile east of U.S. Highway 50 between Round Hill and Zephyr Cove, hugs a 2.5-acre lake fed by McFaul Creek and offers panoramic Lake Tahoe views.

The house features an elevator, home theater, basketball court, 11-car garage, 580-square-foot dining room and 1,300-square-foot "Great Room" with two fireplaces, the Tahoe Daily Tribune reported.

Other buildings include a lake pavilion, 1,400-square-foot art studio, 5,600-square-foot conservatory and four-stall stable.

"I hear they spent more than $60 million on it," Zager said. "They did things like build a $3 million stairway in the house that's a replica of the one in `Titanic."'

Tranquility joins six or seven other estates worth at least $20 million on the lake's Nevada side, Zager added.

"The properties on the California side of the lake were all subdivided in the 1950s and they don't have the big estates like Nevada does," he said.

Down the road from Tranquility is the $40 million, 72-acre Khashoggi Estate with a 20,000-square-foot house.

Across the street from Tranquility's entrance is a 36-acre meadow owned by the Bourne family, which is on the market for $33 million.

The Tahoe Regional Planning Agency approved Tranquility's construction in 1998, but has not yet made a final inspection.

Sep 12, 2000
In regards to the news thingy while it is a great addition, one may wish to be careful as literally anything on the internet no matter what with the world "titanic" could and would be searched and automatically posted. This could lead to serious problems. Just a thought.

Just a recommendation to Phil that the search go out and it be posted first to a place for review by a few of your "reviewing team" that you have already set up and then posted for all to see.

In regards to the nuns article, I am with Michael. They obviously have been doing this for some time and have known the consequences of their actions. If they had gotten injured while on that Military base totally unrelated to why they were there, would the US federal government be responsible for merciously harming a nun?

Besides, my friend named Jan in high school went to Catholic School up until the 8th grade and based on what she said, those nuns are tough cookies and people to be watched. he he he he

Maureen.

Status
Not open for further replies.