Titanic newspapers not online versions

Mar 17, 2010
London
Hey everyone!

I'm trying to look for copies of the newspapers about the disaster and the aftermath, but not the online versions thereof. I've spoken to a couple of newspapers and not got very far with them. I have a copy of the Dave Bryceson book (which is awesome for those of you who haven't seen it yet - highly recommended!), but I'm also interested in seeing the US view on things in more detail.

The subjects I'm particularly interested in are the wireless (and the operators) and the crew, but any stories about the people on board are very gratefully read
happy.gif

If there aren't copies/facsimilies of the papers, then is there a book like Bryceson's, but for the States? I have tried searching for one on t'internet, but not found much
sad.gif

Thanks in advance!

Carla

PS. I couldn't find a thread like this anywhere, but I really hope I'm not duplicating one...

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The book you want is called Extra Titanic - The Story of the Disaster in the Newspapers of the Day. Easily obtained second-hand (and very cheap) from the Amazon Marketplace.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Carla,

To view old newspapers, just visit your local library when they are available on microfilm. You can print copies as well, but you just have to pay a small fee for them.

Yes, there is a book that exists with all the major newspaper headlines for the States. It is titled Extra Titanic - The Story of the Disaster in the Newspapers of the Day by Eric Caren & Steve Goldman. It's a terrific book, but you'll need a magnifying glass for the very small print. You should be able to find it on ebay, as it's very common. That's where I purchased my copy from.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
I am considering buying Extra Titanic, but I would first like to know if it covers the remembrance services. I am trying to track down a microfilm copy of The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. It supposedly holds a copy of Lorenzo Mason Clark's sermon at the First Presbyterian Church or at least an abstraction of the text.

Basically, what I'm asking is would I find what I need in this book, or do I still need to continue my search? Any information would be appreciated.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Ben,

I can't recall off hand if the book contains that particular information or not, but I can check for you later on when I have access to my copy.

If not, then you'd have to obtain a copy of it through microfilm from your local library.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Ben, the sermon you mention is in Titanic Extra, well toward the back. (The pages are not numbered).

The book is well worth having. It shows how confusing thing were at the time and there is plenty of misinformation about Rigel the dog and other topics.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
David,
Thanks for the information. I think I will see about purchasing the book now. It's a lot easier than trying to find it on the microfilm. The only disadvantage is the lack of a magnifying glass. I need to get one.

Jason,
Thanks for your efforts on my behalf. I appreciate your assistance.

Jan 29, 2001
Yes, I found the Extra Titanic book at a second-hand bookstore for $15.00. Oh yea...and bring your trifocal reading glasses...;-)
BTW, many years ago my Mother found an original newspaper clipping in an antique store at Morro Bay, CA. It reads in part..."Titanic rams iceberg on maiden voyage" - "All passengers have been saved and great effort is being made to tow the giant vessel to shoal waters off New Foundland". The clipping is in nice shape and also included a photograph.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

Jason,
Thanks for your efforts on my behalf. I appreciate your assistance
You're very welcome, Ben. Anything I can do to help.

To add what Dave posted, there is also an article from the New York Herald dated April 22, detailing a memorial service in Brooklyn at Plymouth Church.​

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
I've just received a present a souvenir issue of a Titanic magazine issued by the London Times in 1998 to commemorate the showing of the Cameron Film. Don't know if anyone has seen it but it is extremely well put together although I've spotted a few controversial points already. It was issued together with a compilation of London Times Titanic Articles written between April 16 and 22, 1912. These include Thayer's sketches and a report from Lawrence Beesley.

Probably 'old hat' to the grey beards on site!