Titanic Olympic similarities

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi all,

Maybe Titanic's wheelhouse was re-arranged to a flat based wheelhouse to allow more ingress for officers in the open bridge. Originally in 1911 the Olympic's bridge, the wheelhouse extended to both sides of the bridge.

I guess the designers realized that they did not need so much space taken up by the wheelhouse in the original design, so it was reduced in size on Titanic allowing more space on the open bridge. Britannic's bridge followed a similar design to Titanic and this was upgraded later on the Olympic in 1913, I think.

By the way, check out Remco and Mark's R.M.S Britannic site for more details about the Olympic-class wheelhouse arrangements. It's at: http://www.hospitalshipbritannic.com/rms_boatdeck.htm

Hope this helps,

Nigel

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Funny how memory works. I knew I'd read about the business of wind speed years ago. I now remember the book and today I dug it out of the State Library collection.

The book doesn't say when the tests were done. Maybe post WW I. They show that streamlining on ships can produce very undesirable results.

On the 1907 Mauretania, trials were conducted with the ship steaming at 26.8 knots. The true wind was 24.55 knots at 15° off the port bow. On her sun deck, the edge of which, like Titanic's, was some 15 feet inboard of the edge of the boat deck, the wind speed was in the 45 to 50 knot range, as would be expected. On the boat deck, the wind reached more than 100 knots. On another liner, steaming at 24.5 knots into a 30 knot wind 18° off the port bow, the wind was measured at up to 175 knots, close to the superstructure. Similar forces have been found close to streamlined funnels.

I think it's possible that the designers of Titanic were aware of these effects, even if they didn't have experimental figures. Passengers and crew would have noticed them. It's all the doing of M. Bernoulli and his Law.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
I know this is an old thread, but it seems appropriate to post the question here. I have been looking at a circa 1930s picture of RMS Olympic, and note that the funnels seem to be either shorter or fatter than those of the Titanic. Is it possible that the Olympic's distinctive funnels were cut down in the 1930s to mske her look more "modern"?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Is it possible that the Olympic's distinctive funnels were cut down in the 1930s to mske her look more "modern"?<<

I suppose it's possible but I've never seen any evidence of this. As far as I know, the funnels remained unaltered throughout the ship's career.