Titanic on Trial by Nic Compton

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
This has been advertised recently. Not sure when it was written but it is the first time I heard of it. Looking at the chapter names on Amazon, it does not seem like anything new but it is not expensive and I am willing to give it a try if it is well written without any outlandish conspiracy theories and such.

Anyone here read the book?

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I got a copy, and the book is a summarised version of the US & UK Inquiries.

It states what questions both inquires wanted to answer and what their final outcomes were (e.g. were 3rd Class prevented, should Ismay be condemned, is Captain Lord Guilty? etc) and it gives the timeline of the Titanic's sinking with the condensed* testimony from both inquires.

One plus about the book is the author sometimes puts footnotes to explain to the reader certain phrases or navigation terms that the average reader might not understand due to being outdated terms (eg. "X is referring to Y" or "This is a device used to measure distance" etc).

Hope the above makes sense.

*Things like the Questioners questions, small-talk or causal remark like "Yes Sir" or "I don't like the answers you are giving me" have been removed so it's easier to read.

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
I thought the book was quite a good with lots of interesting little facts, as not found in other books. If you shop around can get it for about a £5.00. Well worth it for that price.

Reactions: Arun Vajpey