Titanic opinion

• Thread starter Caroline Mendes Ferreira
  • Start date

C

Caroline Mendes Ferreira

In almost every movie Titanic when the collision shows the Titanic trying to do the reverse to avoid the collision and some films shows that this is a mistake. At the helm of the size navio.do ship and machinery of the time, the engines of an Olympic-class ship needed just over a minute to stop and probably another to reverse speed, the Titanic had only 40 seconds since was given the order to the fatal collision. This indicates that at the time of the collision, the Titanic's propellers were spinning very quickly. In the film appears that in less than 40 seconds, the ship slowed, braked, reversed the direction of the helices and was back at full power. Surely this spectacular scene is of grave technical error.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Yes I think it's fair to say that what you see happening on the bridge in the movies is quite a bit different from what actually would have happened - and the suspense-filled music wouldn't have been playing in the background either. ;-)

Cheers,
Adam.

C

Caroline Mendes Ferreira

Is that really they do very suspenseful scene that bridge really.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
I think there would have been an element of panic on the bridge when the iceberg was spotted, no doubt. But we must remember that these were trained officers, who were aware they were in an area where icebergs were prevalent, and many of them perhaps believed the hype that they were on the safest ship afloat. Murdoch was still capable of making quick, rational decisions and I think that's an indicator that there was no over-riding sense of panic as we see in the movies.

Cheers,
Adam.