Titanic & other old school CunardWhite Star liner footage

Apr 5, 2006
Hi, I was wondering where I could find tapes/dvds with vintage video footage of ships like Titanic, Olympic, Mauretania I, Lusitania, Etc. I know there is some here, and in the 1940's German Titanic movie bonus features, as well as that final Lusitania voyage that pretty much everyone has seen, but someone was telling me that John-Maxtone Graham narrated a 3 or 4 VHS set that has plenty of vintage footage. I am especially looking for footage of Mauretania I, and can't seem to find any anywhere.
thanks a lot,
Luke

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
There's a series called The Liners that may be the one you are thinking of. It was made maybe ten years ago. I can't recall the narrator, but it was a four tape set.

Google and ye shall find.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I ran across a copy of The Liners today. It seems to be actually four shows on two tapes. It was put out by a company called Limelight. It doesn't feature Maxtone-Graham. As I recall, it was pretty good when I saw it on TV.

Sep 26, 2009
The National Geographic Society produced a video called "The Superliners--Twilight of an Era" which included footage of the classic liners. Here's the description from amazon.com:

"Before the days of jet travel, magnificent ocean liners such as the Queen Mary and the Normandie reigned over the Atlantic, setting standards of taste, luxury, and efficiency. They transported not only the rich and famous, but also soldiers during wartime, and emigrants seeking new lives in the land of opportunity. THE SUPERLINERS: TWILIGHT OF AN ERA invites you to experience life aboard the last of the North Atlantic liners, the Queen Elizabeth 2, in a nostalgic look at the great vessels of a time gone by."

I think you can find copies on Amazon.com or check Ebay. Robert H. Gibbons

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Small correction. The Liners was put out by Roadshow.

I've been looking at it again. John Maxtone-Graham is in it, but only as one historian among many, including Frank Braynard.

There is film of many ships, including the few remaining feet of Titanic. There are a fair number of launchings, but they are often disappointingly short.

There's a series on Aussie TV at the moment called Speed Machines. The first episode was about Queen Mary and Normandie. It's well worth a look if it turns up on video.