Titanic passengers transferred from what ships?

Matthew Budd

Dec 26, 2011
Hey everyone! I know that in early 1912 the coal strike in England forced many ships to be laid up and their passengers forced to transfer to other steamers eg. Edwina Troutt was originally supposed to travel on the Oceanic and Elizabeth Nye on the Philadelphia. My question is though, what ships had their passengers transferred to Titanic? Considering that Titanic sailed considerably under capacity (perhaps as a result of the strike), were there any other ships sailing at around that time?

Edinlake

Nov 21, 2014
Edinboro, Pennsylvania US
From the documentary Death of A Dream it is revealed that White Star cancelled the trips for the Adriatic and Oceanic. Not sure about the passengers though, but I believe Milvina Dean said they were transferred and I vaguely recall hearing Eva Hart say something similar to be transferred as well.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Even Eva Hart claimed that they were transferred to the Titanic, that is not true. Eva made up several claims which are not true (like her mother had a premonition and sleeping all day which is not confirmed by the letters her mother wrote on board and later).

Jan 27, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
She also claimed to have met Captain Smith and believed that the Titanic had sank in one piece for the longest time until it was discovered that it had broke apart and then changed her mind, claiming that she saw it break.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Not to get off topic here but i've never heard of such claims about Eva Hart - she of course featured in several documentaries speaking about the premonitions of her mother and what not. Did anyone confront her about this during her life? The letters from her mother must have existed then, and she was alive until - I think - around the mid-1990's. I find it hard to understand why she'd make up things like that? The sinking itself perhaps, but not the premonitions....

Cheers,
Adam.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
The premonition is also a made up thing of her. Her mother never had one and it is also clear from the letters written on board. (They were recently auctioned and also one is in the book "On board RMS Titanic" so you can have yourself a look.) Eva Hart also always liked to point out to be the only survivor with memories about the sinking even other survivors were still alive.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Ioannis,

Well, by the 1990's she probably was just about the last survivor who could remember much and who was willing to speak about it - but that doesn't change much if what she was saying had a few healthy layers on top of the truth!

Cheers,
Adam.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
She did claimed to be the only survivor with memories about that night years earlier even in the 1980s. And also in the 1990s she was not the last (the last survivor with memories of that night was Lillian Asplund who passed away in May 2006). Most historians who knew her did know that several things were made up, especially when she try something new and dropped it again when it does not sound good. Also she was not very happy when Millvina Dean was invited at her first THS Convention and especially not when a group photo of survivors were made and Millvina was sitting in the middle.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
The producers of the IMAX movie Titanica (from 1991) were very surprised to learn after the release of the documentary that there were other Titanic survivors as Eva Hart told them to be the only one.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Ioannis,

From memory, Lillian Asplund (and Barbara West, for that matter) were not so keen on interviews and formal Titanic engagements - Millvina Dean was much more cooperative in that regard. Besides, Lillian Asplund was very young whereas Eva should have had much clearer memories. I'm not defending her here, if she was lying then that's very disappointing, but i'm not sure the notion that by the 90's there was too many other Titanic survivors around to ask about their experiences is exactly true. As for the IMAX film, sounds to me like the researchers should have done a better job to be honest.

Cheers,
Adam.

titan

Aug 15, 2014
Mount Gambier Australia
hi all,

I recently watched several documentaries about the sinking of the Titanic and Eva Hart was one of the witnesses who they interviewed and in all three documentaries she gave different accounts to what she saw. Now at the time of the sinking she was a very young child and at the time of the sinking it was very late at night and much past her normal bedtime and not to mention that she might have been worried about her father was still left on the ship and died on it. she was on Lifeboat 14 which was one that was involved in much struggle and its said that the officers lowering it fired shots to control the crowd. I imagine that as a young child she might've been not entirely sure what she saw. then as the years wore on she would start to remember what she did see and piece it together.

Titan

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Adam, Lilian Asplund was only 2 years younger than Eva. That she was not keen for interviews is new for me. Eva had told several people to be the only Titanic survivor left so people who did not know better take it as a fact and that is why in some documentaries like the IMAX Titanic you see only Eva Hart.
If you have contact with Don Lynch, then ask him about Eva Hart. He can tell you more.